[complete] Eleven years in the Rocky Mountains and a life on the frontier-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

That is really amazing that you saw the fishermen at Celilo Falls
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Chapters 9 and 10 are ready. An epic Indian fight in Chapter 9. I retold the story to my grandchildren over the dinner table.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

carolpelster wrote: May 20th, 2022, 3:22 pm Chapters 9 and 10 are ready. An epic Indian fight in Chapter 9. I retold the story to my grandchildren over the dinner table.
As I listen to this and hear the names of places I know of and/or have been to, it is kind of interesting and exciting hearing what it was like almost two hundred years ago.

Thank you.

Now, I hear two minor errors, one in each Chapter.

In chapter 9:

4:31 This was time gained. You said This time was gained. There is a subtle difference in the meaning, but it is very close and of course it is your decision.

In Chapter 10:

5:22.5 purchase the Indian goods which were intended to supply the wants of the fur-traders in the Rocky Mountains, You said fur-trappers Again not much difference (I think) but…..

In relation to Celilo Falls, in about 1978 or so my wife and I were visiting the Maritime Museum in Astoria. In there they had some pictures of the Indians fishing at the Falls. As I looked at them, having seen them before, I could tell that something was wrong, and then I figured out that they were fishing the wrong direction, the river was flowing from left (west) to right (east). I made a comment about it and several people said "What?" and I explained that the fishing area was on the Oregon side of the river, so the river was flowing the wrong way. It would seem that the picture had been reversed at some time.

Keep up the good work.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I fixed those 2 spots in chapters 9 and 10.
I'll be travelling for a few weeks, so there won't be anything recorded on this project for a while.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Chapters 9 and 10 are PLOK :thumbs:

Have fun, and don't worry about 'checking in' if you are don't get anything in in the next month.

Have fun 🏖️ 🏞️ 🏛️ 🏯 🗽 🌄 🚆 🛳️ 🛫 🛂 🛸 What/which ever applies.

Wayne
Wayne
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I'm back in the saddle again, and chapters 11 and 12 are ready.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Chapter 13 is now ready.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

carolpelster wrote: June 6th, 2022, 8:00 pm Chapter 13 is now ready.
I really enjoy your narration, especially your renditions of Meek and the other characters. :D

Chapter 11 is PLOK :thumbs:

12 and 13 each have one very small thing:

12: 3:53 that tinkled at every step. I heard twinkled

and 13: 12:29.5 than either devotion or the longing expectancy of men habitually deprived of what they once highly valued. You left out highly. Your call.

Keep up the great work.

BTW, I will be out of town for the next couple of weeks (or so), but still may be able to get in to DPL.

Wayne
Wayne
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Some new sections have been added, and the corrections you suggested have been made.
It often seems to be that this book would make an engaging tv series, though the hero is quite flawed. I went to Meek's burial place a few days ago. It is out in the country near Hillsboro, Oregon. It is a tall monument and it reads, "Col. Joseph L. Meek. born Feb 9, 1810, died June 20, 1875, 65 yrs, 4 mos, 11 ds.
To honor the leader of those patriots who on May 2 1843 at Champoeg saved the Oregon Country to this nation. Multnomah Chapter D.A.R April 1929."
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Kalamareader wrote: June 7th, 2022, 6:44 pm
carolpelster wrote: June 6th, 2022, 8:00 pm Chapter 13 is now ready.
I really enjoy your narration, especially your renditions of Meek and the other characters. :D

Chapter 11 is PLOK :thumbs:

12 and 13 each have one very small thing:

12: 3:53 that tinkled at every step. I heard twinkled

and 13: 12:29.5 than either devotion or the longing expectancy of men habitually deprived of what they once highly valued. You left out highly. Your call.

Keep up the great work.

BTW, I will be out of town for the next couple of weeks (or so), but still may be able to get in to DPL.

Wayne
Chapter 12 is PLOK :thumbs:

But 13 is still missing "highly".

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

carolpelster wrote: June 14th, 2022, 3:28 pm Some new sections have been added, and the corrections you suggested have been made.
It often seems to be that this book would make an engaging tv series, though the hero is quite flawed. I went to Meek's burial place a few days ago. It is out in the country near Hillsboro, Oregon. It is a tall monument and it reads, "Col. Joseph L. Meek. born Feb 9, 1810, died June 20, 1875, 65 yrs, 4 mos, 11 ds.
To honor the leader of those patriots who on May 2 1843 at Champoeg saved the Oregon Country to this nation. Multnomah Chapter D.A.R April 1929."
That is so neat. I had no idea that Joe Meek was buried near Hillsboro.

As I have said before, I am really enjoying your narration, and it is nice to have someone from up in this neck of the woods do it so they know how to pronounce these local names, and also ones that have different spellings now. :clap:

Chapter 14 is PLOK :thumbs:

Chapter 15 has one small correction:

20:56 and over all the magnificent scene glowed the red rays of sunset, I heard rose (or rows :lol: )

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Another great reading. :clap:

Chapter 16 is PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

I hope this doesn't get tiresome to you, but again, a very enjoyable reading.

Many times, as I PL, I hear a pronunciation of a word that I think is wrong. I often go to Google to see if the pronunciation by the reader might be correct after all. That happened in this reading. The word was "sobriquet" I had always heard it pronounced sew-bra-kay. But upon doing research, your pronunciation, while not exactly the 'alternative' pronunciation given certainly was close enough. Live and learn. :D

I did find one small thing to correct:

16:59 The undertaking... A stumble then a repeat. Just delete the first one.

A very interesting tale.

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Sorry, but I just now noticed that you added "highly" to Chapter 13.

Chapter 13 is now PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Great work

Chapter 18 and 19 PLOK :thumbs: right out of the box!!

Wayne
Wayne