[complete] Eleven years in the Rocky Mountains and a life on the frontier-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I uploaded section 1 and 2 again. I'm not sure what happened.
I have some house guests right now who are using the room I record in, so it will be a few days before I can move ahead.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

carolpelster wrote: April 19th, 2022, 1:08 pm I added section 3 today.
Carol,

First of all let me apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I have no excuse other than I missed your posts. :oops:

Now, your reading is amazing. I am truly captivated by your narration. In fact, it took until two minutes before the end of Section 3 for you to make a mistake!! Amazing.

26:57 Even the Frenchmen who trapped for this company You said country

But now to some discussion. In the case of a book that has an Introduction and then maybe a Chapter before 'Chapter One', it is usually done in this way for the ease of the listener.

Section 1 in the MW would be named "Introduction" in the "Title" section. Then intro would then say "Introduction" rather than "Chapter 1"

Usually, then, Section 2 would be, in the MW, 'titled' Chapter one. But in your case, it is different. You have the "PREFATORY CHAPTER", and it is so long it would be divided into two sections (as you did), so Section 2 in the intro would be "Prefatory Chapter Part 1", and then Section 3 would be "Prefatory Chapter Part 2". The divisions you made seem like a logical place to break it, so what seems to need to be done is split off the Introduction into Section 1, then the first part of the Prefatory Chapter into Section 2 and the second half into Section 3. Except for changing the intros and outgos, there wouldn't be any extra recording (except for the one correction noted above).

So the word "Section" wouldn't be used at all in the recording, but would be used in the file names. Speaking of which, for 1 and 2 you have an 'r' at the end of the book name. You might want to correct it there and also in the First Post (if you don't want it there).

One other small note, be sure and leave .5-1 second of silence at the beginning of each recording.

I hope this all makes sense. If you have any questions, be sure and ask. This is such an interesting story I can't wait to hear more. As I noted, I was raised in Oregon and a lot of these names and locations I grew up with, but some of the early stories are new to me.

Thanks,

Wayne

P.S. I grew up hearing "Dr. McLaughlin" pronounces like Dr. McLawfflin, as in Laugh.
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Thanks for the compliments.
It took me all evening, but I fixed the Intro and Prefatory Chapter part 1 as you suggested to make it easier for the listeners. Still have to fix Prefatory Chapter Part 2. I decided to split the length of the prefatory chapter somewhat more evenly. Chapter 1 will be the 4th section, as you suggested.

I also live in the Northwest, though only part of the year now. I know where Kalama is. Do you know where Vernonia, Oregon is?

I am going to pronounce Mclaughlin the way they do at Fort Vancouver, though you and others may disagree.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I added Prefatory Chapter part 2, and Chapters 1 and 2 this morning.
Happy listening.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

carolpelster wrote: May 4th, 2022, 6:52 pm
I also live in the Northwest, though only part of the year now. I know where Kalama is. Do you know where Vernonia, Oregon is?

I am going to pronounce Mclaughlin the way they do at Fort Vancouver, though you and others may disagree.
Yup, I sure do know where Vernonia is. One time, when coming home from the Coast, we decided to drive up 47 to see the scenery and Vernonia. So I have actually BEEN there. :lol:

I have to admit that I haven't been to the Fort in quite a few years, other than to watch the fireworks on the 4th. I was only going by what I was 'taught' 65 years ago in school.

But kind of in my defense: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a72UeS4NQwM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brvnR_uSM_Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KQI1xsKGdA

Now to the serious stuff, I will listen to your recordings tonight. :D

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

carolpelster wrote: May 5th, 2022, 6:59 am I added Prefatory Chapter part 2, and Chapters 1 and 2 this morning.
Happy listening.
Great job. Your 'corrections' for the first part of the book are spot on. Your readings of Chapters 1 and 2 as well as the small correction in the Prefatory Chapter are all PLOK :thumbs:

In Chapter 2 the description of Jackson Hole and surrounding areas brought back good memories. Beautiful country, and as luck would have it we are going back in a couple of months :D :9:

Looking forward to more of the story.

Wayne
Wayne
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Chapters 3, 4 and 5 are ready.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

carolpelster wrote: May 9th, 2022, 5:52 pm Chapters 3, 4 and 5 are ready.
I got Chapter 3 listened to tonight. As usual, I enjoyed it very much.

There were a very few things for you to look at:

6:23.5 and when old age comes and the enamel is worn down faster than it is renewed, It sounded to me like you said animal

7:19 On the Upper Missouri, they cut the cotton tree and the willow bush; You added the word 'wood' after 'cotton'. I assume that the 'cotton' tree and the 'cottonwood' tree are the same, but……

10:54-11:00.5 Repeat.

31:43 While the men were starving. Not in the text.

Maybe the next two tomorrow.

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

As hoped for, I got to 4 and 5 today.

Boy, this is quite the story. It really makes one appreciate the life we are able to live.

Great reading again, but a couple of 'possible' corrections:

In Chapter 4:

15:51.5 Liquors could not be furnished to the men in that country. It sounded like you said licorice. Obviously your call.

Chapter 5:

15:04 To send the remaining horses after these, might be "sending the axe after the helve;" You said a. It is a saying, so maybe it should be correct? Your call.
Wayne
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I just added chapter 6.
I'll check your corrections soon.
Thanks for your careful listening.
Those mountain men were sure some tough hombres.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I made the corrections for chapter 6.
Kalamareader wrote: May 12th, 2022, 12:21 pm
In Chapter 4:

15:51.5 Liquors could not be furnished to the men in that country. It sounded like you said licorice. Obviously your call.

I listened to this several times and I said "liquor".

Chapter 5:

15:04 To send the remaining horses after these, might be "sending the axe after the helve;" You said a. It is a saying, so maybe it should be correct? Your call.
I said "the" helve, though admittedly not as crisply as it could have been. But I think a patch would probably make it worse.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Chapters 7 and 8 are ready.

Adventures galore, all across the western states.
Terrible treatment of Indians.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

carolpelster wrote: May 18th, 2022, 8:01 pm I made the corrections for chapter 6.

I said "the" helve, though admittedly not as crisply as it could have been. But I think a patch would probably make it worse.
I think you meant 3 :D .
Your corrections were seamless, and in regard to 4 and 5, all is well.

So.....Chapters 3, 4, and 5 are all PLOK :thumbs:

At for the next three, maybe tomorrow. I have been really tied up for the past week, but hopefully....

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Wow, reading that story really makes you appreciate what we have, in basically the same area, now. And they traveled soooo many miles, and don't really even mention it. I have been to many of the places he talks about and can kind of appreciate what they went through just looking at the terrain.

When he mentioned the Indians fishing at "the Dalles", my mind went immediately to when I was able to watch the Indians fishing at Celilo Falls. Having just moved from Los Angeles (1955) it was quite the experience for a 9 year old boy.

From Wikipedia: Celilo was the oldest continuously inhabited community on the North American continent until 1957

Well, another great narration.

Chapters 6, 7, and 8 are all PLOK :thumbs: right out of the box.

An amazing story. I am glad you chose it to read. :D
Wayne
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Wayne, for many years there was a mountain man rendezvous in Vernonia at their annual town Jamboree. We used to go to meet and talk to the reenactors who were very knowledgeable. If I hear that it is happening this summer, I will let you know.