COMPLETE (Solo) The Mormon Battalion, Its History and Achievements by B.H. Roberts - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

The Mormon Battalion, Its History and Achievements, by B. H. Roberts (1857 - 1933)

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/the-mormon-battalion-its-history-and-achievements-by-b-h-roberts/
A history of the Longest March of Military in History. The Mormon Battalion was the only religious unit in United States military history in federal service, recruited solely from one religious body and having a religious title as the unit designation. In 1847, as the Mormons were in Iowa heading West, after being driven out of their homes in Nauvoo, Illinois, the U.S. Army requested 500 volunteers to assist in the Mexican-American War effort. From July 1847 to July 1848 the battalion made a grueling march of nearly 2,100 miles from Council Bluffs, Iowa, to San Diego, California. The Battalion’s march and service supported the eventual cession of much of the American Southwest from Mexico to the United States, especially the Gadsden Purchase of 1853 of southern Arizona and New Mexico.

This is their story.

(Summary by Wayne Cooke)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42152

Target completion date: 2022-08-15

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Sagas; *Non-fiction; *Non-fiction/War & Military; *Non-fiction/History

Keywords that describe the book: exploration, adventure, Mormon, war, latter-day-saint

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of The Mormon Battalion, Its History and Achievements. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Mormon Battalion, Its History and Achievements, by B. H. Roberts. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of The Mormon Battalion, Its History and Achievements, by B. H. Roberts. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Mormon Battalion, Its History and Achievements, by B. H. Roberts."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: mormonbattalion_##_roberts_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. mormonbattalion_01_roberts_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Kalamareader on May 12th, 2022, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Hi there,

Even at this early phase, I have a question. In this book there are eleven chapters and an Addendum. What is the input as to should I use 'Section' numbers or Chapter numbers with the 12th section being called the Addendum?

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I would use your second option of Chapter 1-11 and then Addendum for the 12th section. (I do it this way in reverse when there is a Preface or Foreward and then numbered chapters.)
Jo
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Wayne! Let me MC this project. I'll go set it up.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Magic Window is in place and you should have access. May I sign up as DPL?
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Rapunzelina wrote: May 12th, 2022, 6:25 am Magic Window is in place and you should have access. May I sign up as DPL?
Thank you so much, and of course you may sign up as DPL. More than glad to have you.

I will get the MW filled in soon.

Wayne

edit: MW filled in :)
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

A short note. It may be a few days before I can start this, last night I came up with a cold, affecting my voice, so.......
Wayne
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I'll move us to Going Solo.

I wish you a quick and smooth recovery.
Take care
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Finally, here is Chapter 1.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/mormonbattalion_01_roberts_128kb.mp3

Time: 7:24

Wayne

One question: In my experience I have found that some DPLers like to have the link posted here, and others just take if from the MW from a post here that it is up. What do your prefer? :hmm:
Wayne
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Chapter 1 is PL OK!

It's best to download from the Magic window, so as to also check that the link works. Quite a few times I have found that the BC or soloist has accidentally added a space or other character in the MW with the filename, breaking the link, which, if the download was done from the thread, would go unnoticed.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

I didn't word that clearly. Bottom line, do you want me to post the link here as well, or just notify you that it is in the MW?
Wayne
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I probably didn't word that clearly, either :D Since we download from the MW, a notifying post is enough.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Chapter 2 is finally up.

Wayne
Wayne
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Pleased and excited to hear your voice! Chapter 2 is PL OK!
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Rapunzelina wrote: June 4th, 2022, 7:11 am Pleased and excited to hear your voice!
:9:

Chapter 3 now ready for PL.

Wayne
Wayne