COMPLETE Life of Frances Power Cobbe as Told by Herself - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

True, but he could have bumped up her allowance a little. But what irked me was not that, but that her father made arrangements for her future without ever consulting her about what she intended to do after he died. But it looks like she did okay :D . This chapter is full of interest. She was certainly spunky! We are watching that Around the World in 80 Days miniseries on (Masterpiece Theater, maybe?) and this chapter really brought that to mind. Long way of saying section ten is up.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I haven't seen that series.

She certainly got the most of her travels, it sounds like! But, oh how sad, the massacre at the break in the chapter. :(
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Yes, really heartbreaking.
This section is also full of adventure and incidents that are amazing, and some very disturbing, But what I cannot get past is that the woman thinks oatmeal is better than polenta. I mean, for God's sake. :roll:
Section 11 is up.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hahaha!!! I will certainly agree in terms of typical modern oatmeal versus polenta - polenta any time.

Section 11 is PL OK :thumbs:

So funny to hear her talking about Shelley and Byron.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thank you! Section 12 is up!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hahaha!! "Chop! and another head falls in the basket" that passage cracked me up so much. And I had never heard the rather horrid term "Ragged Schools." I'm sure they were wonderful of people to provide, but could they have a more patronizing and pejorative name?

Section 12 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Say, I just noticed I have a misspelling in the link for section 11 (Francis instead of Frances). Should I fix the link and reenter that?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Ciufi wrote: February 6th, 2022, 1:20 pm Say, I just noticed I have a misspelling in the link for section 11 (Francis instead of Frances). Should I fix the link and reenter that?
No, don't worry about it. When I catalog, I will automatically "fix" all the section titles, just to catch the smallest mistakes that are hard to see. All it takes is the push of one button. Thank you for asking!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Section 13 is now in the MW. It is heartbreakingly sad, but it does have the one consolation that our spunky author refused to let things stay the way they were, and actually helped improve things .
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Ciufi!! I'm sorry this one fell through the cracks - Section 13 is PL OK :thumbs:

I was thinking, "hmm, it's been longer than I expected since I've listened to a Frances Cobbe section," and then found that I'd failed to properly flag 13 when I saw on my phone a couple days ago that you'd posted it. :oops:

I need to up my game if I'm going to keep looking at my LV on my phone!
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Heavens, that’s no problem!
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Section 14 is up. I can just picture our feisty heroine getting up in somebody's grill and demanding that they stop mistreating the workhouse girl doing their laundry out in the snow. :)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Yes! You can absolutely picture her doing it, can't you? That poor girl, so sad to think people can be so monstrous to start with.

Section 14 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thanks!
Section 15 is up, and good Lord, was it a pain to edit! This owing to the fact that I had to weave my recording in and out of the powertool symphony of my next door neighbor Tim (the toolman).. He took the week off work to repair his backyard pergola. That pergola had better be a piece of art fit for the Louvre after all the horsepower he invested in it.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I'm sorry, I couldn't help chuckling. (Only because the weeks and weeks of construction on our deck drove me NUTS, so I can relate)

Took a weekend break from LV - I've pulled this for PLing later today. :)
~Lynette * -