(Complete) Toxophilus - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

Toxophilus, by Roger Ascham (1515 - 1568), edited by J. A. Giles (1808 - 1884)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/toxophilus-by-roger-ascham/

Toxophilus is a book about target archery using the English Longbow. The book is divided into two parts: The first part is an extended argument that target archery should be encouraged as a healthy activity benefiting both the individual and the defense of the country; the second part is an instruction manual about the use of the English longbow for target archery.

In 1545, when the book was written, the English Longbow had been in continuous use in European warfare since the medieval period. Ascham points out that target archery is the perfect preparation for the use of the longbow in warfare, so it is likely that the techniques and equipment he describes are very similar to those used by soldiers right back to the hundred years war.

Modern archers may be surprised at Ascham’s knowledge about the effect of equipment on shooting performance. Amongst other subjects, Ascham describes finger spacers, arrow spine, barrelled shafts, control of bow hand placement, nocking point, and a draw length indicator.

Ascham dedicated Toxophilus to King Henry VIII (who was a keen archer). The King was so pleased with the book that he granted Ascham a pension of ten pounds per year.
(Summary by Clive Catterall)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/toxophilusschoo00aschgoog/page/n4/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2022-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Ascham (Roger Ascham)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxophilus
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 16
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1545
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction; *Non-fiction/War & Military; *Non-fiction/Sports & Recreation

Keywords that describe the book: archery history longbow

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Toxophilus. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Toxophilus, by Roger Ascham, edited by J. A. Giles. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Toxophilus, by Roger Ascham, edited by J. A. Giles. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Toxophilus, by Roger Ascham, edited by J. A. Giles."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: toxophilus_##_ascham_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. toxophilus_01_ascham_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by CliveCatterall on May 17th, 2023, 5:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

I'll be reading form the University of Wisconsin scan of the 1866 publication of the book. I think all that JA Giles did was to modernise the spellings and have the text set in a modern font. For me that takes it from an impossible read to just a very hard read.

The book was published as an extract of the larger 1865 Complete Works of Roger Ascham, hence the 1865 copyright date. I'm guessing that the publishers could see a market for an accessible edition of the most famous book on archery after H A Fords popular book "Archery - It's Theory and Practice" had been selling well for 10 years!

Don't expect rapid progress! Even with the modernizations, each section is taking a long time due to many stumbles over the unfamiliar pattern of English usage.

Clive
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I will set this up for you.
N.B. before cataloguing, you will need to write your own summary -- wikipedia is not PD, but is fine for the time being.

Edit: all set. Do you need to advertise for a DPL?
Let me know if you need anything else.
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

Thanks Lynnet

Yes, at first I left the summary blank (as I have done before), but I thought many people wouldn't know the book (the title is no help), and I do need to tempt a DPL to join the team. So I copied in the Wikipedia summary so potential DPLers know what they are signing up to!

Yes I do need to advertise for a DPL.

Clive
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I have added a tilde to the subject line, and also “archery” as a clue to potential DPLs. It’s best to stay on the launch pad for a couple of days to see if anyone volunteers.
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

Dedication and preface uploaded (section 0)

Boy, did you have to lay it on thick to get in Henry VIII's good books.

Clive
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Dedication and Preface PL OK

Talking about stroking his ego...
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

Happy to DPL if you're still in the market...
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

This is just a completely perfect sucking-up book for Henry 8th. The basic premise is just right for the spolied brat that was king Henry.

It's almost as if the book is saying:

I know you need to do all of that beastly hard thinking and complicated stuff to run the country. Poor you. But don't do it right away. Put it off and go outside to do something you like. Something sporty that doesn't require thinking. Archery maybe. Refresh yourself. You and the country will be the better for it. Go on. Delay all that nasty work. It's the sensible and noble thing to do. And keep delaying again, and again...

Yeah right.

Clive

Oh yes. I almost forgot... Book 1 Part 1 is uploaded and ready for PL.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Jennifer added as DPL.
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

Whoops. I was in the middle of writing a bit of a rant about Henry 8th (like you do) and didn't see your post.

I'd be very happy for you to PL.

FULL DISCLOSURE: it's sometimes hard to follow as the language is 16th century English. It's also hard to read. Some sentences are taking me quite a while to work out what they actually mean (I can't read a sentence properly of I don't understand it).

As a consequence, progress will be [ahem] slow but steady. However, this is THE standard text for anyone interested in the use of the English Longbow! It'll be easier for people to listen to an audiobook rather than try to read a facsimile in black letter (gothic) font with archaic spellings...

Clive
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

Anything that generates a good rant sounds like intriguing reading! Looking forward to it. Slow is perfectly fine with me.
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

Section 1 is PL OK! Fascinating...
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

Just checking in. Working slowly, mostly because I am spending most of my spare time practicing archery!
Clive
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

CliveCatterall wrote: March 6th, 2022, 2:06 am Just checking in. Working slowly, mostly because I am spending most of my spare time practicing archery!
Clive
:lol: :thumbs: