COMPLETE: John Brown by W. E. B. DuBois - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Definitely supposed to be "month"

Section 14 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thanks!
Section 15 is up!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 15 is PL OK :thumbs:

I did not know magniloquent is a word.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

I didn't either! It turns out to be a terrific word, but probably pointless to ever use, since nobody alive today knows what it means. Darn.
Section 16 is. The raid on Harper's Ferry begins. Nothing like I assumed it to be.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Yes, this is definitely different from the impression I'd had, too.

What a visual - people scribbling the news onto every piece of paper they could find and tossing it out the train windows as they went along! Tweeting without Internet at its best. . .
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Upward and onward! Section 17 is up.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

17 is PL OK :thumbs:

Wouldn't he have been excited to see the Civil War start up - and have wanted terribly to be a commander in the Union Army, I'm sure!
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

I am sure he would!
Section 18 is up.Only one more chapter (2 sections) to go. I will really miss this project. It has gotten me thinking about the value of fanatics in the world. I am personally nothing like a fanatic about ANYTHING, and fanatics make me break out in hives. But they sure do get the ball rolling. And with some causes, slavery certainly being one of them, fanaticism is really the only correct response (imho). But I couldn't do it.
I wonder if there is anything good left unread on Frederick Douglass? Gotta check.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 18 is PL OK :thumbs:

Yes, it is sad, but true, that it does take the outcries of fanatics to obtain attention and change for those who are being ignored by society and law. For all the high talk about resolving differences peacefully and through reasoned discussion, not violence of any kind, it's a basic truth that those who enjoy the power of law on their side, the enforcement and legal apparatus, and societal expectation - they will never take on the discomfort of stepping out of the well-honed road they own to make changes for those who feel wronged by the mainstream - until somebody hollers obnoxiously enough to gather enough support to force changes (hopefully by social forcing rather than violent forcing, but, it never happens without force of some kind). And fanatics are just about the only ones who will step out of the comfort of their own lives to do the pushing.

Yeah, I agree that fanaticism was the only effective option for stopping slavery. Clearly, decades and decades of active, reasoned abolitionist endeavors were unable to do anything about it except aid a very tiny proportion of slaves as escapees.
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Section 19 is up!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 19 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Tada! The 20th and final section is in the MW.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

And it is PL OK! :thumbs:

So, that's a wrap for you! :clap:

This is a remarkable book.
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thanks so much!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Congratulations Ciufi on completion of this solo recording for LibriVox! This book is now in the LibriVox catalog and available for listeners to download. Please check the catalog page and let me know if any changes are needed:

https://librivox.org/john-brown-by-w-e-b-du-bois/
Jo