[COMPLETE] A Guide Book of Art, Architecture, and Historic Interests in Pennsylvania, by A. Margaretta Archambault - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
vviera

Post by vviera »

tac107 wrote: December 1st, 2021, 9:06 am And with the posting of section 7, we have moved out of the "listing things in Philadelphia" portion of the book and will be getting into the meat. All of the individual county sections are much, much shorter.
Oh, geez. I have been getting about one section a day of PL. I've gotten 7 today :shock: Will work on them steadily.
I'll be away April 16-22.
Voy a estar fuera el 16-22 de abril.

Cheers, VERLA
tac107

Post by tac107 »

vviera wrote: December 1st, 2021, 9:14 am
tac107 wrote: December 1st, 2021, 9:06 am And with the posting of section 7, we have moved out of the "listing things in Philadelphia" portion of the book and will be getting into the meat. All of the individual county sections are much, much shorter.
Oh, geez. I have been getting about one section a day of PL. I've gotten 7 today :shock: Will work on them steadily.
Don't feel any sense of obligation. There are a bunch more left and will probably take me a while as I am finally able to work on my thesis again.
If she's passin' back this way
I'm not that hard to find
Tell her she can look me up
If she's got the time

Tatiana
vviera

Post by vviera »

tac107 wrote: November 30th, 2021, 7:29 pm I have also posted 5 and 6. My fun fact for these is that I applied to the University of Pennsylvania many moons ago and was rejected. Then I found out that 45% of each of their incoming classes is composed of legacy students, and I felt less bad.
Ugh! So close!
21:02 text: Pennsylvania, heard: Philadelphia

I won't feel any obligation, but I like to keep up. I know as a reader I hate to wait a long time for the info.

New word:
prothonotary-
a chief clerk or official in certain courts of law.
Never heard that one before. Etymology is protho=proto, like prototype

Cheers, VERLA
tac107

Post by tac107 »

I have uploaded the readings for Bucks and Chester counties. I have never been to either of these places, but Westchester University is a great school from what I've heard and I know a lot of people went there very happily.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
vviera

Post by vviera »

Thanks! Marked sec 5 PL OK.

I don't what happened all of a sudden. After weeks and weeks of 1-2 sections a day, they are still pouring in. I think like 15 this week. I know you said I could queue you later, so thanks for that. Maybe everyone's trying to finish a certain amount before Christmas.

Tell me about your thesis?
Verla

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Thanks you for listing things.

PL Notes:
:15 you say part 5, but it's part 6
7:12 text: masters, heard; masterds (rhymes with…)
32:55 banging noise

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

vviera wrote: December 4th, 2021, 11:21 pm

PL Notes, sec. 6:
PL Notes, sec. 7
1:39 text:mansion, heard:mission
12:12 text:country, heard:county
17:02 text:thickest, heard: thicket;

Cheers, VERLA
tac107

Post by tac107 »

PL Notes:
The "section" of the book is section 6. However, this is part 5 of "The Commonwealth." They don't line up because section 1 is Philadelphia Historic Firsts. I believe I correctly said section 6 at the beginning and the end, part 5 is part of the section title. Anyway, reuploaded with mistakes fixed.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
tac107

Post by tac107 »

vviera wrote: December 5th, 2021, 4:49 pm

PL Notes, sec. 6:
PL Notes, sec. 7
1:39 text:mansion, heard:mission
12:12 text:country, heard:county
17:02 text:thickest, heard: thicket;
Reuploaded also.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
vviera

Post by vviera »

tac107 wrote: December 7th, 2021, 11:11 am
The "section" of the book is section 6. However, this is part 5 of "The Commonwealth." They don't line up because section 1 is Philadelphia Historic Firsts. I believe I correctly said section 6 at the beginning and the end, part 5 is part of the section title. Anyway, reuploaded with mistakes fixed.
Oh, I'm sure you're right. I'll take a listen to the rest.

Cheers, VERLA
tac107

Post by tac107 »

I have also uploaded sections 10 and 11, Lancaster and York counties. Some interesting info:

1. This part of Pennsylvania is home to a huge number of snack food companies, like Snyder's of Hanover, Utz, Hershey's, and Herr's. Including the pretzels they're still making in Lititz! https://dced.pa.gov/paproudblog/pennsylvanias-snack-food-scene/

2. The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire is in Mount Joy and it is one of my favorite places ever.

3. A huge percentage of people who live in York are actually just living there to commute to Baltimore.

4. From what I can tell, Lancaster and York Counties have this kind of soft rivalry thing going on? I was interviewing for a job in Lancaster and they said "At least we aren't in York" and everyone started laughing, so I assume this is a thing people know about. I'm not originally from that part of Pennsylvania.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
vviera

Post by vviera »

Both sections 6 & 7 PL OK.

I'm catching up :-)

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Hi Tatiana -

I started to listen to Sec. 8. It has a not that loud, but very distracting rattling sound throughout (or the spots I clicked on randomly to check, anyway). It can be heard before the intro and in the end silence. Could you run noise reduction once or twice and see if that can be cut down? Then I'll do the PL.
Thanks,
V

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

vviera wrote: December 10th, 2021, 7:19 pm Hi Tatiana -

I started to listen to Sec. 8. It has a not that loud, but very distracting rattling sound throughout (or the spots I clicked on randomly to check, anyway). It can be heard before the intro and in the end silence. Could you run noise reduction once or twice and see if that can be cut down? Then I'll do the PL.
Thanks,
V
Oh, this is also true of section 9. Please check it out.

I opened 10 and 11 just to listen for this and they don't have the same noise. Haven't looked at 12 yet.

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Hi Tatiana -

Sec. 10 PL OK.

I am getting less picky on this. Here are the two things I found; I didn't even write down times.

Last name of Witmer. You said Winter.
Guy's middle initial, text was Isaac E. Heister , you said Isaac H.

It just seems like on something like this, it is not worth you going in to make the changes. Other words (like country vs. county) seem more important, but I'll think about that type of change too.

Let me know if you want me to be more exacting. It seems like with the nature of this text, it's just not necessary.

Thoughts on 10:
Bishop Onderdonk! I do hope that he was a celibate priest and the end of the Onderdonk line. I can't imagine how much grief some kid named Onderdonk would get in school!

Pretzels have turned into such a different thing that I forget they actually started out as actual German bread. They would hardly recognize them. I wonder how that evolution occurred. I knew about Hershey, but none of the others.

What I haven't mentioned as I PLed is that my wife is from near Pittsburgh, and my ancestors were Pennsylvania Germans as well. I have traced them to census records; they were there no later than 1740. My maiden name was Faus (rhymes with Santa Claus, not house). I can't remember now where the Faus ancestor was. I'm thinking he was southeast of Pittsburgh, but I would have to look again to remember just where. It's funny to think of them plowing the fields and speaking German while the Revolutionary War raged around them, having been there 35 or 40 years already.

My wife is the only member of her family who has gone to college and left Clearfield County. Can't wait to get to that chapter :-) I have a while to wait. Her sister was president of the Dubois Area Historical Society at one time. Not sure if she still is. Definitely going to send her this!

Cheers, VERLA