[COMPLETE][SOLO]The Spring Song by Forrest Reid - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MoonLylith

Post by MoonLylith »

The Spring Song, by Forrest Reid (1875 - 1947)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/spring-song-by-forrest-reid/
A deceptive tale, The Spring Song seems at first glance to be standard Edwardian adventure. Grif - A boy on holiday with his siblings - must set out through the English countryside to rescue their beloved dog. Slowly, however, a subtle and not always benign magic slips into the tale, imbuing it with a dark haunting that is hard to put one's finger on. A genius friend takes on the role of boy detective to figure out why Grif has become so melancholy, but in an inversion of the trope its not clear if uncovering secrets makes things better or worse. What starts off concrete and simple become ambiguous and ethereal, and the ending is not an easy one. From the author of The Garden God. (Summary by Moon Lylith)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/springsong00reiduoft/mode/

Target completion date: 2022-11-29

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of The Spring Song.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"The Spring Song, by Forrest Reid. Section Title." (see MW for full title)
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of The Spring Song, by Forrest Reid.
This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Section Title." (see MW for full title)
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Spring Song, by Forrest Reid."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: springsong_##_reid_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. springsong_01_reid_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi again :) I see you feel ready for a first solo. This looks like an interesting book to start out with. I will MC this, and I'll create your Magic Window in a few minutes for you to fill out.

Have you already got a DPL lined up ? If not, I could volunteer, it sounds like an intriguing story.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

All right, MW is up and running. I already put in the first few chapters and pages, to show you what it might look like in the end. The rest is for you to fill in. As Soloist you are automatically also the BC (Book Coordinator) for your project and in charge of the updating of the MW.

To access the MW, click on the BC Admin link underneath it. In case your old password is not accepted, click "forgot password" and you will get sent an email where you can reset it for the MW login.

The exact wording for the intro/outro can be seen in the first post. As soloist you can use the shortened version from Chapter 2 onwards.

If there are any further questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

I wait until you've seen the post and then we can move over to Going Solo. Have fun !

Sonia
MoonLylith

Post by MoonLylith »

Thank you! I don't have a DPL so that would be much appreciated.

This is all new to me but I'm looking forward to figuring it out.

ML
MoonLylith

Post by MoonLylith »

here's chapter one. Don't expect them all this quick, I made myself go ahead and do this before I committed to the the project =)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/springsong_01_reid_128kb.mp3

Track Length
9:51.73 (m:ss.ss)

I know PL operating procedure is to not provide feedback (other than technical) much beyond what the reader specifically asks for. I want to let you know I open to as much or as little feedback as you are willing to give me. I appreciate the time you are taking to help me with this and don't want to ask too much, but if you hear anything that you think could be improved and feel like telling me, I'll always be appreciative. This is one of my favorite authors and I want to treat him right. =)
MoonLylith

Post by MoonLylith »

MoonLylith wrote: November 29th, 2021, 8:11 pm here's chapter one. Don't expect them all this quick, I made myself go ahead and do this before I committed to the the project =)

Track Length
9:51.73 (m:ss.ss)

I know PL operating procedure is to not provide feedback (other than technical) much beyond what the reader specifically asks for. I want to let you know I open to as much or as little feedback as you are willing to give me. I appreciate the time you are taking to help me with this and don't want to ask too much, but if you hear anything that you think could be improved and feel like telling me, I'll always be appreciative. This is one of my favorite authors and I want to treat him right. =)

On second thought, hold off on this. I might be getting a new mic from a friend and if so I'd like to everything sound consistent.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MoonLylith wrote: November 29th, 2021, 11:33 pmI know PL operating procedure is to not provide feedback (other than technical) much beyond what the reader specifically asks for. I want to let you know I open to as much or as little feedback as you are willing to give me. I appreciate the time you are taking to help me with this and don't want to ask too much, but if you hear anything that you think could be improved and feel like telling me, I'll always be appreciative. This is one of my favorite authors and I want to treat him right. =)
I can fully understand that :) And I will make notes of everything that I find odd, then it's still up to you to decide whether it's worth changing or not.
On second thought, hold off on this. I might be getting a new mic from a friend and if so I'd like to everything sound consistent.
all right, I will not PL yet.

Did you have trouble logging into the MW ? Because as BC, you should also copy/paste the link into the correct slot and change the status to "Ready for PL" in the final column.

We can move over to Going Solo now.

Sonia
MoonLylith

Post by MoonLylith »

MW updated

10:39

took me a couple tries but I got it =)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MoonLylith wrote: December 1st, 2021, 12:39 amMW updated
10:39
took me a couple tries but I got it =)
:thumbs: great, yes it looks good, perfectly filled out. Could I only ask you to leave the page reference in the notes sections, until I have listened to it ? It makes it easier for me to find the page where the chapter starts. I will then delete that note once the chapter is proofed.

And it's a great start for you book. I really enjoyed the story so far, it reminds me a bit of the Famous Five, complete with dog naturally. :mrgreen: Your reading pace is excellent too, not too fast and not too slow, it's easy to follow along with the story. To me it was very enjoyable. Looking forward to the next chapter.

This one is perfectly PL ok :) Thanks

Sonia
MoonLylith

Post by MoonLylith »

MW updated

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/springsong_02_reid_128kb.mp3

15:07

working out the levels on my new mic but I think I was able to keep things even
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

aww they were so rude with Ann by simply running ahead and not paying attention that she couldn't follow :( Another great reading, I like it that you play in character. :thumbs: Makes it very lively.

Only one small formality to change:

> at the end: could you say "End of Section 2" instead of Chapter ? Just to stay consistent throughout the project (you did in the first section). It's always best to use the word "Section" since sometimes chapters may have to be split in two.

Thanks

Sonia
MoonLylith

Post by MoonLylith »

yes, of course. How silly of me.

Fixed. re-uploaded. MW updated.

still 15:07

chap 3 is the first chapter of any length, we'll see how I handle the deeper waters. =)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MoonLylith wrote: December 5th, 2021, 1:09 am Fixed. re-uploaded. MW updated.
:thumbs: excellent, now PL ok.
chap 3 is the first chapter of any length, we'll see how I handle the deeper waters. =)
good luck. I personally prefer chapters that stay under 20 minutes for my own recordings. The editing process always takes so long with me, so shorter stories are what I prefer.

If the chapter turns out longer than 74 minutes, it needs to get cut at a convenient place into two sections.

Sonia
MoonLylith

Post by MoonLylith »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/springsong_03_reid_128kb.mp3

24:34

There are only a few chapters this long, and only one significantly longer, so I think the lengths should be ok (they are also mostly front loaded, the chapters get shorter as the book goes on). This is also one of he most dialogue intensive chapters, which is difficult because I want to make the voices distinct without being "cartoony" -- especially since Reid loves to omit who is talking and rely on his reader to keep track. I'm enjoying the challenge. I like the way Reid writes children, bouncing them back and forth between sweet and beastly on the slightest wind changes. They're a bit capricious, but not shallow. Anyway, enough editorializing.

Happy Holidays, by the way =)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MoonLylith wrote: December 8th, 2021, 8:21 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/springsong_03_reid_128kb.mp3

This is also one of he most dialogue intensive chapters, which is difficult because I want to make the voices distinct without being "cartoony" -- especially since Reid loves to omit who is talking and rely on his reader to keep track. I'm enjoying the challenge. I like the way Reid writes children, bouncing them back and forth between sweet and beastly on the slightest wind changes. They're a bit capricious, but not shallow.

oh I extremely enjoyed the children bickering about through the chapter :lol: and you managed well with the voices, and didn't make them too cartoony (you should hear some of my "character voices" :mrgreen: ) The chapter is perfectly narrated and can be marked PL ok right away. Thank you for making my job easy here :)

I am curious about the background of the name "Angelina" :hmm: I guess it will become cleared up before the end of the book.

Sonia