COMPLETE: The Case of the Lamp That Went Out by Auguste Groner -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

The Case of the Lamp That Went Out, by Auguste Groner (1850 - 1929), translated by Grace Isabel Colbron (1869 - 1948)

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-case-of-the-lamp-that-went-out-by-auguste-groner/

"The Case of the Lamp That Went Out" is one of the earlier Joseph Muller stories originally published in German in 1899. The English translation was published in 1910 in a collection of five detective stories in "Joseph Muller: Detective - Being the Account of Some Adventures in the Professional Experience of a Member of the Imperial Austrian Police" which also featured an Introduction to Joe Muller also included here.

In this installment, the body of a well-dressed man is found in a vacant lot early one morning. With very few clues and no witnesses, it is up to Muller to sort out the true reason for the crime and identify the murderer. (Summary by J. M. Smallheer)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1832

Target completion date: 2022-03-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Mystery, Austria, Joseph Muller, police detective

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
" Chapter # of The Case of the Lamp That Went Out. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Case of the Lamp That Went Out, by Auguste Groner, translated by Grace Isabel Colbron. Chapter Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
" Chapter # of The Case of the Lamp That Went Out, by Auguste Groner, translated by Grace Isabel Colbron. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain. Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Case of the Lamp That Went Out, by Auguste Groner, translated by Grace Isabel Colbron."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: lampthatwentout_##_groner_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. lampthatwentout_01_groner_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Jo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hey another Joseph Muller. I think I would like to DPL this one again :)

Will start Monday, if that's ok with you. Looking forward to this new adventure.

Sonia
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks, Sonia. :)
Jo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, a great start into the new mystery. :thumbs: I love Muller's quiet procedures. Excellently narrated again, Jo.

I am surprised you chose to omit the introduction to our hero. Wouldn't it have been informative to new listeners ? :hmm:

I found two small deviations from the text, maybe they are significant enough to correct, but I let you choose:

Section 1:
> at 3:58: "as if trying to pull herself together again" – you say "as if to pull"

Section 2:
> at 6:42: "I came across the wet meadows and I stooped to turn up my trousers so that they wouldn’t get dusty" – you said "stopped" – by stooping it would be more logical he didn't see the man coming out of the house

Sonia
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Sonia,

Thank for the careful PL. I will fix those two spots that I missed.

I chose not to record the introduction to Joseph Muller since it has been already included on all four of the other early Muller stories in the catalog. I suppose if this is the first of the original Muller stories someone listens to, then it would be useful, but if not, it gets pretty repetitious. I'll think about adding it. Listeners can always skip it if they have heard it before.
Jo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: November 29th, 2021, 12:59 pmThank for the careful PL. I will fix those two spots that I missed.
great patches and now definitely PL ok.
I chose not to record the introduction to Joseph Muller since it has been already included on all four of the other early Muller stories in the catalog. I suppose if this is the first of the original Muller stories someone listens to, then it would be useful, but if not, it gets pretty repetitious.
oh ok, I wasn't aware the text was always the same. :lol: Hmm yes, I guess from your perspective it indeed is repetitious. Of course the listeners might have listened to this particular book first. Well it's optional in any case I guess. You decide.

Sonia
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks.

Chapter 3 is ready for PL.

The intro is just a couple of paragraphs. I'll go ahead and record it. It will be section 0. :)
Jo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: November 30th, 2021, 4:08 pmChapter 3 is ready for PL.
The intro is just a couple of paragraphs. I'll go ahead and record it. It will be section 0. :)
yes it's not very long, true. But I can understand the frustration of having to record the same text multiple times. :? Is it really the same in each book ? :shock: That's unusual.

As for Chapter 3, perfectly PL ok. So now we know the dead person's name and the man had nobody who liked him. Suspects galore !!!! :lol:

Thanks

Sonia
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

From what I can tell, the first published English translations of the five stories about Muller as a member of the Austrian police were included in one book entitled Joe Muller: Detective. (https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.hx5nsa&view=1up&seq=7). The Introduction to Joe Muller was at the beginning of this volume. As these stories were made available as individual stories on PG, that same introduction was included at the beginning of each one. However, since I wasn't the reader for those four others for LV, this will be my first recording of the introduction... :)
Kitty wrote:So now we know the dead person's name and the man had nobody who liked him. Suspects galore !!!! :lol:
Indeed!
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Chapter 4 ready for PL.

In which we learn a bit more about the dead man...
Jo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chapter 4 is PL ok :) I really like Muller's character. And his superior is a bit fast to dismiss clues that might be important, like who was sending the money. I would say that person is high on the suspect list, in case it's blackmail money. :hmm:

Sonia
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Chapter 5 is ready for PL.
Jo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok, now the police got the poor sod who stole the purse from a dead man, but that early into the story, he is not the murderer for sure :lol:

Another interesting section. I held my breath all the while the pawnbroker tried to keep the man occupied until the police arrived. :shock: A brave man.

Wonderfully PL ok again, thanks Jo.

Sonia
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Chapter 6 uploaded. The tramp is accused of the murder and offers his version of what happened... :wink:
Jo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

of course the police are quick to jump on the first suspect, fast closed cases are desired. Muller of course has his doubts...good thing for the tramp he is involved. Another PL ok chapter, Jo, thanks !

Have a nice weekend

Sonia