[COMPLETE]The Blue Review Vol 1 No 3 by Various-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

The Blue Review Volume 1 Issue 3, by Various

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:https://librivox.org/the-blue-review-number-3-by-various/

The Blue Review was a short lived monthly journal published in London between May and July 1913. The successor to Rhythm, The Blue Review was edited by John Middleton Murry and Katherine Mansfield, but survived only three issues. In addition to poetry and short literary pieces, the review included reviews of theatre, music and the arts and of books recently published in English and French. The third and final issue of the journal included Poetry by Rupert Brooke, short stories by Katherine Mansfield and Gilbert Cannan and a review of Thomas Mann's 'Death in Venice' by D. H. Lawrence. (Summary by Phil Benson)[/quote]

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://modjourn.org/issue/bdr452279/

Target completion date: 2021-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: pG36bvUi
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 16
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1913
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Short Stories; *Non-fiction/Literary Collections

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Blue Review Volume 1 Issue 3. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Blue Review Volume 1 Issue 3, by Various. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Blue Review Volume 1 Issue 3, by Various. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Blue Review Volume 1 Issue 3, by Various."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: bluereview3_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. bluereview3_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by eggs4ears on November 18th, 2021, 4:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Annise will MC & newgatenovelist DPL
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Checking in for part 3!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

MW made.

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Anne!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Newgatenovelist

Sections 1-4 are PL OK. No problem at all with PLing in smaller bits and pieces. It means you're likely to have more recording sessions to do pickups, if there are any to do, and on my end it means I'm less likely to have a day where sections come in on all the projects at once.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/bluereview3_05_various_128kbps.mp3 - 15:05

Ready for PL! Some more Gilbert Cannan. I quite like what I have read of him in this review.
Newgatenovelist

One note for section 5:

5.27, p 155 first para, omission
If she had stayed?...[If she had stayed?...]

That was a compact, sweet story. Nice.
Newgatenovelist

I'm not sure if you've dipped in and out at all since the Salem episode, but the latest Witches of Scotland episode has a guest talking about the Lancashire witches.

https://www.witchesofscotland.com/podcast/episode/2453d5d7/episode-47-matthew-bridson-the-lancashire-witches
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

I did listen when you first pointed out (enjoying the accents almost as much as the content!), but then forgot about it. Episode 47! I'll look forward to listening to that one.
Newgatenovelist wrote: November 29th, 2021, 1:48 pm I'm not sure if you've dipped in and out at all since the Salem episode, but the latest Witches of Scotland episode has a guest talking about the Lancashire witches.

https://www.witchesofscotland.com/podcast/episode/2453d5d7/episode-47-matthew-bridson-the-lancashire-witches
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks for the PL note - will correct next time. I'm afraid this is a bit of drip feed at the moment, but I should find more time for it from next week.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/bluereview3_06_various_128kbps.mp3 - 08:50

There is a nice photo of the Big Buddha on Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C5%8Dtoku-in

This brought back a few memories. I once stayed overnight in Kamakura before going to Tokyo airport. It was cheaper than staying in Tokyo and there was also a cheap local train that went all the way to the airport (clearly, cheap was the keyword at that time!). To be honest, I don't really remember the buddha - what I do remember is that the temple was awash with hydrangeas.
Newgatenovelist

No problem *at all* with files coming in here and there. My own recording is in much the same position! If it's moving forward that's a good sign, and it'd be a pity to quibble over the pace.

The reading is fine but it’s in stereo. To convert to mono, at least in my version of Audacity, go to File → Export → Export Audio → at the bottom of the window that pops up, the last line, Channel Mode, lets you tick a box that says Force export to mono.

I am thrilled for you to have been able to stay at Kamakura - what an experience! That sounds absolutely brilliant. Yes, if it was cheap that's all to the good (and we all have ended up with unexpected experiences because we've had to go for the budget option!), but the temple being awash with hydrangeas sounds glorious. Do you have photos by any chance?

Because I struggle to resist jamming poetry in wherever I can find a spot I'd already got up a link to 'Buddha at Kamakura' before I saw it was listed on the wiki link you provided. If you're at all interested, in the 1890s Rudyard Kipling wrote a poem of that name that's a plea for greater tolerance (especially of the cultural and religious sort), with the great statue at Kamakura and the faithful worshipping there forming a sort of starting point for the poem. This particular poem has an interesting textual history because Kipling edited it later on, rewrote bits of it and generally changed it about, but one version of it, when it was collected in book form in the early 1900s, is available here:
https://archive.org/details/five00nationskiplrich/page/76/mode/2up
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Are you sure it is stereo? It looks like it is mono when I open it.
Newgatenovelist wrote: December 1st, 2021, 7:32 am The reading is fine but it’s in stereo. To convert to mono, at least in my version of Audacity, go to File → Export → Export Audio → at the bottom of the window that pops up, the last line, Channel Mode, lets you tick a box that says Force export to mono.
Newgatenovelist

I'm really not sure what happened. I've just downloaded it again to be doubly certain and you're right, it's mono. I'm sorry about that!