COMPLETE The U.S. Army in the Iraq War – Volume 2: Surge and Withdrawal: 2007-2011 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
reedstrege1

Post by reedstrege1 »

The U.S. Army in the Iraq War: Volume 2, Surge and Withdrawal, 2007-2011, by US Army Operation Iraqi Freedom Study Group

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-us-army-in-the-iraq-war-volume-2-surge-and-withdrawal-2007-2011-by-various/
The Iraq War has been the costliest U.S. conflict since the Vietnam War. To date, few official studies have been conducted to review what happened, why it happened, and what lessons should be drawn. The U.S. Army in the Iraq War is the Army’s initial operational level analysis of this conflict, written in narrative format, with assessments and lessons embedded throughout the work. This study reviews the conflict from a Landpower perspective and includes the contributions of coalition allies, the U.S. Marine Corps, and special operations forces. Presented principally from the point of view of the commanders in Baghdad, the narrative examines the interaction of the operational and strategic levels, as well as the creation of theater level strategy and its implementation at the tactical level. Volume 1 begins in the truce tent at Safwan Airfield in southern Iraq at the end of Operation DESERT STORM and briefly examines actions by U.S. and Iraqi forces during the interwar years. The narrative continues by examining the road to war, the initially successful invasion, and the rise of Iraqi insurgent groups before exploring the country’s slide toward civil war. This volume concludes with a review of the decision by the George W. Bush administration to “surge” additional forces to Iraq, and reviews the conduct of the “surge” and its aftermath.

This study was constructed over a span of 4 years and relied on nearly 30,000 pages of handpicked declassified documents, hundreds of hours of original interviews, and thousands of hours of previously unavailable interviews. Original interviews conducted by the team included President George W. Bush, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Secretaries of Defense Leon Panetta and Robert Gates, Chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and every theater commander for the war, among many others. With its release, this publication, The U.S. Army in the Iraq War, represents the U.S. Government’s longest and most detailed study of the Iraq conflict thus far. (Summary by US Army Operation Iraqi Freedom Study Group)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://publications.armywarcollege.edu/pubs/3668.pdf

Target completion date: 2021-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The U.S. Army in the Iraq War: Volume 2, Surge and Withdrawal, 2007-2011. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The U.S. Army in the Iraq War: Volume 2, Surge and Withdrawal, 2007-2011, by US Army Operation Iraqi Freedom Study Group. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The U.S. Army in the Iraq War: Volume 2, by US Army Operation Iraqi Freedom Study Group. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The U.S. Army in the Iraq War: Volume 2, by US Army Operation Iraqi Freedom Study Group."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: usarmyintheiraqwar2_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. usarmyintheiraqwar2_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Reed Strege
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up.

I made sure it was in line with volume 1 (file name suggestion, etc.)

Holler if you have questions. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
reedstrege1

Post by reedstrege1 »

Thank you! I will take a look and get started.
Reed Strege
reedstrege1

Post by reedstrege1 »

Hello! I was getting started in the BC admin window for this new project, but I hit a snag.

The reader already assigned is me, and it needs to be adamkoebel.

I tried to make this change myself inside the BC admin window, but I couldn't see how to do it.

Thanks! I uploaded 40 files and will input the urls and titles into the BC admin window when the reader column has been changed to adamkoebel
Reed Strege
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Did you get him put in section 1? In that case, you were close. Instead of "1" you put in "1-40" in the number of sections. Then to remove yourself, put in "1-40" and click Remove rather than Add.

Either way, it's done now. :)
reedstrege1

Post by reedstrege1 »

Thank you! I completed one row in the BC admin console. Can you confirm that this is correct before I do the rest? Thanks!
Reed Strege
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Looks pretty good. Please put the run time in the Notes field, and mark the last column status as "Ready for PL". 8-)
reedstrege1

Post by reedstrege1 »

Thanks - the first four files are ready to be checked.
Reed Strege
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've posted a "help wanted" ad for a PL: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90429
reedstrege1

Post by reedstrege1 »

Thank you!
Reed Strege
SC816

Post by SC816 »

I can PL for Chapters 1-4
SC816

Post by SC816 »

PL for Chapter 1: Everything was god, no errors, background noise, or pauses.
SC816

Post by SC816 »

PL for Chapter 2: Once again, everything was good.
SC816

Post by SC816 »

PL for chapter 3: No mistakes
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks! I've updated the MW with those notes.