COMPLETE: Bread by Charles G Norris -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Book 2, Chapter 2, is PL OK!

In section 18, there's a phrase missing at 7:50 “Why sure, let’s have ’em,” Martin said, eyeing them judicially as he and his wife stood together considering the purchase; “they look like a million dollars"

In Section 19 a small stumble at 5:41 "and she was to spend"
11:06, a repeat "fearful that Miss Holland might neglect to tell her everything."
WildShimmeringPath

Post by WildShimmeringPath »

Why sure! I'll fix my fumbles. Thanks for listening! and here is section 20 ready now. I can't stop sounding like Martin even in me own head.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Section 20 PL notes:
around 1:43 repeat "Mr. Gibbs was"
around 13:48 a repeat "her wonderful Martin was merely an employee of Herbert Gibbs! Her husband"
around 14:59 repeat "Those are the Stars"
make it 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Section 13 is spot- checked OK. I commented on a 6-second gap feeling too long, but I didn't mean that there should be no pause at all between sentences :mrgreen: With that and the repeats, I was expecting a time difference of about 15 seconds between the new and old file, and there is more than 50. Did you do any more editing? Just so I know if I need to check something else. :)
WildShimmeringPath

Section 13, I went through and removed some of the breathy breathing sounds between sentences so that is why the time difference. I didn't change any words except what was asked to change. I'm learning a bit more about editing sound quality as I get through this but I will look out for consistency and more balanced amounts of silence here and there.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

OK! Just be careful not to overdo it, because when the natural pauses and breathing are removed, the reading can sound rushed and unnatural.

Of course, your reading is so wonderful and expressive, that it makes up for it :D
WildShimmeringPath

Gosh thanks for the compliment! I did some fixing, not too much fixing to 18, 19 and 20. I really should have listened to what I was doing to 13 but I was so utterly fascinated by learning about EQ in curve filter, think I got overzealous about the sounds of breathing. Sure its ok to breathe sometimes :birthday:
I'm not sure if I had a different copy or what but phew section 19 had many more mistakes, overly long pauses and throat clearings than I thought. I think I caught them all but maybe another listen to that one.
Thanks a bunch!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Sections 18-20 are PL OK.

And for section 21, I would suggest shortening the beginning silence to 1 second, as a chance at renaming the file to bread_21_norris_128kb

I find I relate a lot to Jeanette's character and reactions...
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Sections 22-23: PL OK!
WildShimmeringPath

Hi! I fixed that detail on the title of section 21. It took me a minute to see it. oopsie. Here are sections 24 and 25 ready to go.

and yes I am finding Janette extremely relatable and the parts where I don't relate just make it more interesting. At first I thought her kind of bougie but really she is very practical. I was sad when she gave up her job because Mrs. Corey was jealous and she had to be saved from scandal by getting married. It was described like she loved being married, her apartment was soooo glorious but it seemed sort of boring and degrading to me in comparison to how happy/proud she was at the office..
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

PL OK for 21, 24, 25!
WildShimmeringPath

HI 26 and 27 PL ready!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

26, 27, 29 are PL OK

In 28 there's a phrase missing around 16:51 "he insisted. With firmness she declined. She wasn’t begging; she just had had one man"
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Section 28 is PL OK!

In section 30 there's a repetition "a tall, fine-figured, handsome" at around 15:42.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Sections 30 and 31 are PL OK!
WildShimmeringPath

Hi! 32-35 are ready for a listen. I made it to the end! That book was a trip. I kept thinking ...working class great Gatsby but with a tragic female main character. Can I edit the summary a little? Oh Mitzi! that ending though...more tragic than Gatsby floating dead in his pool if you ask me.