[COMPLETE] Money and Trade Considered by John Law - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

gyllila wrote: October 19th, 2021, 1:32 pm Now is the last part of chapter 2 also online. :)
Section 5 is PL OK, and here are the notes for Section 4:

0:47: I think you need to include the table here (page 47).
2:56: I think you need to include the table here (page 50).
5:39: I think you need to include the table here (page 53).
6:28: I think you need to include the table here (page 55).
6:53: I think you need to include the table here (page 56).
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
gyllila

Post by gyllila »

JorWat wrote: October 24th, 2021, 5:46 am Section 5 is PL OK, and here are the notes for Section 4:

Thank you! It’s really nice of you that you even marked the times for inserting the tables. :thumbs: I understand that you want the best possible listening experience for the audience, but is it really so necessary to take every working load for the audience? If someone is really interested in this book, he will also download the book and read while listening, so it would not be too much work for him to pause the audio to read the tables. What do you think?
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

gyllila wrote: October 24th, 2021, 8:31 am Thank you! It’s really nice of you that you even marked the times for inserting the tables. :thumbs: I understand that you want the best possible listening experience for the audience, but is it really so necessary to take every working load for the audience? If someone is really interested in this book, he will also download the book and read while listening, so it would not be too much work for him to pause the audio to read the tables. What do you think?
I don't think you get to pick what you do and don't record:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Recording_%26_Text_Policies
Our objective is to record texts as they were published. This means:
  • You may not change the published text in any way (eg. to remove swear words, language or ideas you find objectionable, or to "update" a text). Our objective is to record texts as they were written.
  • You may not add or remove text.
But I'm not a MC here, so I'm not sure.
Jordan

gyllila

Post by gyllila »

You are quite right that we have to stick to the rules, and I’m also not sure if the text should include the tables or formulas, thus I’d like to leave the decision to our MC. There is certainly nothing objectionable in the tables, it’s just some additional work. :wink:
gyllila

Post by gyllila »

Availle wrote: October 14th, 2021, 1:50 am Lots of things to remember if you're going solo.

Which is exactly what we're doing now! :wink:

Have fun you two!
Thanks, we are having fun, and a question, too ;)

What’s the exact rule here about tables/calculations in the text. Are they seen as text and thus should be read? Like the one on p.47 or p.50, etc. (s. PL notes). We both are not quite sure here and want to comply to the rule. :)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I don't get notifications when somebody quotes me, so if you have questions, it's best to shoot me a pm. But since I happened to notice this, here's my verdict:

Yes, we do expect the text to be read as it was written, so no omissions because you're uncomfortable with a racial slur or find something uninteresting. However, we do allow readers (and in particular soloists) to choose whether to include things like footnotes, and we don't expect figures to be explained or figure captions to be read. We often treat pages and pages of tables that are just numbers as figures and leave them out.

However, in this particular case, the tables are very short and benign, and since it's only those 5 in the whole text, I would ask you to include them. This chapter has a lot of numbers already, it seems that he tries to summarise them again in the tables to make his point. :D

Also, just for completeness: "The listener can just download the text and read along with it" is not a good argument in general. :wink: First, they would need to have access to the internet while listening and be so inclined to look at the text - many of our listeners do so while doing housework or are on a run, so that's not easily possible. Second they would have to stop the recording to read the stuff in the gaps, which I personally find annoying. And finally, you never know where this recording will be downloaded from - our catalog is distributed widely, and many of these places do not include the text link, sadly. :?

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
gyllila

Post by gyllila »

Thank you for the long explanation! Lucky that you accidentally read my question. I‘ll add the tables and in the future send a pm in case of questions. :)
gyllila

Post by gyllila »

JorWat wrote: October 24th, 2021, 5:46 am Section 5 is PL OK, and here are the notes for Section 4:

Thank you! Now I have added the five tables. :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

:thumbs: :9:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

gyllila wrote: October 28th, 2021, 10:21 am
Thank you! Now I have added the five tables. :D
PL OK now.
Jordan

gyllila

Post by gyllila »

JorWat wrote: October 29th, 2021, 10:33 am
PL OK now.
Thank you! Section 6 has been uploaded. :D
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

gyllila wrote: October 30th, 2021, 12:02 pm
Thank you! Section 6 has been uploaded. :D
Sections 6 and 7 are PL OK. Will get back to you on section 8.
Jordan

JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Section 8 is PL OK, but there's now a Section 9... Will get back to you on that.
Jordan

gyllila

Post by gyllila »

JorWat wrote: November 6th, 2021, 10:16 am Section 8 is PL OK, but there's now a Section 9... Will get back to you on that.
Thank you for the PL! I upload one section every 2-3 days, you can listen to them according to your own pace, there is absolutely no hurry. Nice that you send the feedbacks, since the uploading has become a routine, I no longer post after each finished section, currently Section 10 is the latest one online. :P
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

gyllila wrote: November 8th, 2021, 1:39 am since the uploading has become a routine
... which should include a quick post that you have done so. ;-)

Of course, your progress is recorded in the MW (if you fill it in correctly), but it's easy to lose track if you don't post in the thread. Personally, in projects that run as smoothly as this one, I drop in and look at your progress every few posts - if there's nothing at all, I just think nothing's happening, while in reality you may have finished already 3 months ago...

So please, do keep posting and us in the loop. ;-)
However, I may need reminding about cataloging when you're done in any case, I've been very busy lately in RL too.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com