Post by chulsky »

Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

cool, some new poetry, thank you, Mark :) all beautifully narrated again. :9:

Sections 13 and 14 are already PL ok

Only one missed part in Section 12:

> at 2.29: (p. 89) you omitted this Latin poem. Usually we read the entire book of poetry in the order in which they appear. Otherwise this may go against our "don't change/edit what the author wrote". This poem is specifically noted with a number so it forms the third part of this collective, and I think the author would want it included so it forms a whole. :hmm: I strongly think it needs to be included.

The rest is perfect again.

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Sonia, for your hard work!
Sec.15,16 are ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/transparence_15_ivanov_128kb.mp3 [5:23]
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/transparence_16_ivanov_128kb.mp3 [6:39]
(p. 89) you omitted this Latin poem. Usually we read the entire book of poetry in the order in which they appear. Otherwise this may go against our "don't change/edit what the author wrote". This poem is specifically noted with a number so it forms the third part of this collective, and I think the author would want it included so it forms a whole. :hmm: I strongly think it needs to be included.
I know exactly what you are talking about, I meant to write about it, but forgot.
The "don't change/edit" rule is not hard and fast, in my PL practice I've seen many instances when the listener's interest beats it. This is one of those. There might be a few hundred people in Russia who might understand oral Latin -- but no one in my rendering :roll: It would benefit no one and annoy many; it would be viewed as show off or boasting. I could say or include in the summary a short note that I am omitting a Latin poem and why -- would that be okay?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: October 25th, 2021, 6:30 pmThe "don't change/edit" rule is not hard and fast, in my PL practice I've seen many instances when the listener's interest beats it. This is one of those. There might be a few hundred people in Russia who might understand oral Latin -- but no one in my rendering :roll:
we can leave out footnotes or page references if they are not important to the text. But this is another case. Here the author definitely felt like including a Latin poem into his collection. Whether he wanted to "boast" with his knowledge, as you put it, or whether it has a special meaning for him, I can't say, but it's in the book, so it cannot be left out.

Your reasoning that modern people won't understand it is irrelevant. We often include Latin or even Greek proverbs and mottos in novels. Pushkin himself I think is often having people speak French in his texts, and all those sentences will have to be included as such and not translated into Russian. Oscar Wilde had some French poems in his collection, which cannot be left out, on the hunch that the English audience won't understand them anyway.

And don't underestimate the listener. For each one who may be annoyed (they can simply skip it) there will be another one who will be intrigued and find it fun to hear Latin, and even be interested to find out more. If I was a "fan" of this author, I would love to hear everything and find out what he meant in this poem and why he took the trouble to write it in latin. I would be highly annoyed that this particular poem was skipped and would wonder why.

So yes, we need to include it. If you want to help the listener, you can include a translation in the summary if you wish. But I think the ones who are interested will find out. Google translate can help anybody nowadays to give a fairly good translation of Latin.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

brilliant narrations again, I really enjoy his poetry (and your voice).

My point is reinforced here, as the author often uses French, German and even Italian words/titles in his poems. He definitely wants to give them a special meaning with this or at least use his knowledge of the languages to sound more mysterious maybe. BTW you are doing fine with those languages as well :thumbs:

Section 15 is straight PL ok.

Two small notes for section 16:

> at 5:57: (p. 115) just in case you want to be more accurate here: "blague" in correct French is pronounced "blag" without sounding the 'ue' at the end. Maybe this pronunciation shows a better contrast to блажь which follows

> the volume is under 86 dB. I would suggest amplifying with +4 to get into the good average of 89

Thanks

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty wrote: October 26th, 2021, 1:37 am Whether he wanted to "boast" with his knowledge, as you put it...
Sonia, it's easier for me to blah-blah the poem than to argue, so here it is, hope you won't mind a little note I made. :D
I just wanted to point out that "it would be viewed as show off or boast" on my side. VI's target audience would understand Latin and other languages he uses, no problem. My target audience (and I myself) don't understand half of his allusions and many words even in Russian. Don't underestimate the drop in the Soviet / Russian education! OTOH, VI's target audience was probably less than 1% of the population, and mine is hopefully everyone.

Sec.12,16 are ready for spot-PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/transparence_12_ivanov_128kb.mp3 [new length 6:16]
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/transparence_16_ivanov_128kb.mp3 [6:39, the same]
Sec.17,18 are ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/transparence_17_ivanov_128kb.mp3 [2:41]
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/transparence_18_ivanov_128kb.mp3 [3:21]
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: October 30th, 2021, 7:01 pmI just wanted to point out that "it would be viewed as show off or boast" on my side.
oh I see, no I don't think it can be taken that way, because you are only reading what is there. That's not boasting by any means.

And I just heard your Latin and your diction there is very good, so you need not fear to include it at all :thumbs:

But there was a misunderstanding concerning the added note, sorry, about not being precise enough:

> from 2:31 to 2:38: the explanation is good, but I meant the explanation can be added to the written summary you give on the homepage, not inside the spoken text actually. We don't add any reader's comments there, it has all to go into the summary if you want additional notes. So these seconds need to be cut again. Other than that, the section is perfect.
Sec.17,18 are ready for PL:
And both are perfectly PL ok, as well as the Spot PL on Section 16. I highly enjoyed the little Ganymed theatrical performance. Well done. :clap:

Thanks for another great listen

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: November 27th, 2021, 8:07 pmOkay, thank you, Sonia, for your patience, I am back.
:9: yay, good to see you back, Mark :) was looking forward to hearing more poems and I was not disappointed. Your Okeanides' chant was simply wonderful.

Sections 12, 20 and 21 are already PL ok.

I found only a small deviation in Section 22:

> at 5:01: (p. 153) небесный умиряют хмель – you say " усмиряют" – but maybe this doesn't change the meaning...I let you decide this. The rest is perfect.

I was unable to download Section 19 however...maybe something went wrong in the upload ? Could you try again please ?

Thanks

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty wrote: November 29th, 2021, 6:11 am
> at 5:01: (p. 153) небесный умиряют хмель – you say " усмиряют" – but maybe this doesn't change the meaning...I let you decide this. The rest is perfect.
Your attention to details is amazing, Sonia!
The meaning might be the same, but in poetry every sound makes a difference.

Sec.22 is ready for spot PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/transparence_22_ivanov_128kb.mp3

Sec.19 re-uploaded, sorry:
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/transparence_19_ivanov_128kb.mp3 [10:56]
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: November 29th, 2021, 6:33 pmYour attention to details is amazing, Sonia!
The meaning might be the same, but in poetry every sound makes a difference.
yes I agree, but I'm always a bit embarrassed when I note down very minor differences. But I know that I would like to know as soloist, and I figure maybe others will think the same :lol:

Both sections now PL ok. The Geliadi were a wonderful mystical trio. :thumbs: I enjoyed this mini-play.

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: December 8th, 2021, 7:39 pmSec 23,24 are up! The finish line is here:
wohooo, and we are at the end. Both sections straight PL ok. :clap: Interesting to have a prose essay in the last section, I wasn't expecting this. Interesting though.

This concludes my bit for this project. It was enjoyable listening to you as always :) So thank you for that.

Over to Availle...

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sorry for the delay, and thanks for patience (and the pm, Sonia!).

Another Russian project added to the catalog! :clap:

This project is now complete. All poems can be downloaded from the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/transparency-by-vyacheslav-ivanov/
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Ava, Sonia! :9: