[COMPLETE] Memoirs of Napoleon Bonaparte, Volume 3 by Louis Antoine Fauvelet de Bourrienne - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

GillH wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 12:49 am I am a bit concerned about possible fluctuating levels in this one. Please let me know if any phrases need further adjusting. Thanks.
Here's an easy operation I like to use on my own recordings in Audacity to even out the volume:

Select the whole track (ctrl-A), go to Effects->Compressor, and use the following settings:
- lower the Threshold sliding bar to -20 dB
- check the box "Compress based on peaks"
- uncheck the box "Make up for gain..."
- keep defaults for the other settings.

This eliminates large jumps in volume, yielding more even dynamics. Audacity will remember these compressor settings for future tracks. After that, with the entire track still selected, use the Amplify effect to bring the volume back down to about 89 dB (for me, this usually involves putting -4 in the Amplification box).

Hope this helps,
Michael
GillH

Post by GillH »

Thanks.
I don't know what's happened to my usual settings in Audacity. They seem to be the same to me, but it's recording extremely quietly. On the other hand, when I amplify it, there doesn't seem to be any background noise at all, which is also very strange...
soji

Post by soji »

Chapter 25 and 26 are PL OK.

I didn't notice any significant volume fluctuations in the last chapter that would need fixing.

This has been a nice project to PL, thank you very much for it :)

Sonya
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Great! Starting cataloging today. 8-)

Michael
GillH

Post by GillH »

Fabulous! Thanks a lot, Sonya and Michael! :thumbs:
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/memoirs-of-napoleon-vol-3-by-louis-antoine-fauvelet-de-bourrienne/

Congratulations! :clap:

Michael
GillH

Post by GillH »

Woo hoo! :mrgreen: