COMPLETE: Gold of the Gods by Arthur B. Reeve - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Vineymala

Post by Vineymala »

Gold of the Gods, by Arthur B. Reeve (1880 - 1936)

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/gold-of-the-gods-by-arthur-b-reeve/

Mansiche, the ruler of ancient Northern Peru was believed to have buried a huge treasure. But he cast a curse on, whoever, divulged the whereabouts of the treasure and those who might discover it. A Peruvian dagger is stolen from the Museum from under the nose of Prof. Allen Norton and a treasure hunter Don Luis de Mendoza is killed by it. Is it the curse of Mansiche? Will the curse next befall on his beautiful daughter Inez Mendoza, who is being wooed by Mr. Lockwood and Alfonso de Moche. Detective Kennedy steps in. Will he be able to unravel the mystery of the murder, dagger, and the curse .........(Summary by Vineymala)

Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5149

Target completion date: 2021-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:
Treasure Hunters
Dagger
Gold of Gods
Curse of Mansiche
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Gold of the Gods. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Gold of the Gods, by Arthur B. Reeve. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Gold of the Gods, by Arthur B. Reeve. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Gold of the Gods, by Arthur B. Reeve."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: goldofthegods_##_reeve_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. goldofthegods_01_reeve_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Vineymala on January 19th, 2022, 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
:D
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

OK you are good to go here.

Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the  "Magic Window" in the top post.  Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler. 

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

Please also note I have shortened the suggested filenames.

If you have any questions, let me know.  I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers.  Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
Vineymala

Post by Vineymala »

Hi Jo

Thanks. I have uploaded the first chapter. Hope its ok.
Aligator

Post by Aligator »

Hi,

I'll be happy to DPL if nobody else wants to. :D
Never regret anything that made you smile. - Mark Twain
A person's a person, no matter how small. - Dr. Seuss
Vineymala

Post by Vineymala »

Aligator wrote: October 11th, 2021, 3:38 pm Hi,

I'll be happy to DPL if nobody else wants to. :D
Hi
Great 👍
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

DPL added and we are off to Going Solo...:)
Jo
Aligator

Post by Aligator »

Hi Vineymala,

Just one thing with section 1:
~17:39 It sounds like, "There seem to be no clues as to whom or by whom he was murdered", when it's supposed to be "There seem to be no clues as to how or by whom he was murdered". Other than that, the recording was fine, so if you could fix that up, that would be great.
Vineymala

Post by Vineymala »

Aligator wrote: October 12th, 2021, 3:41 pm Hi Vineymala,

~17:39 It sounds like, "There seem to be no clues as to whom or by whom he was murdered", when it's supposed to be "There seem to be no clues as to how or by whom he was murdered". Other than that, the recording was fine, so if you could fix that up, that would be great.
Hi

Rectified the error. It`s ready for spot PL

Also uploaded chapter 2
Aligator

Post by Aligator »

Vineymala wrote: October 15th, 2021, 4:29 am
Aligator wrote: October 12th, 2021, 3:41 pm Hi Vineymala,

Hi

Rectified the error. It`s ready for spot PL
Chapter 1 now PL OK. :clap: This story is certainly off to a very interesting start. I'll PL Chapter 2 a bit later on, as I don't have that much time at the moment, but I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers, Aligator.
Aligator

Post by Aligator »

Hi Vineymala,

I got around to listening to Chapter 2, and found it PL OK. :thumbs: There were a few minor things, such as saying were instead of are, but as they did not really change the meaning of the sentence, I did not mark them down.

A very interesting tale so far. Now, it seems that all the characters are trying to hide things from one another, but then again, I guess detective stories are like that. I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Cheers, Aligator.
Vineymala

Post by Vineymala »

Aligator wrote: October 17th, 2021, 6:51 pm Hi Vineymala,

I got around to listening to Chapter 2, and found it PL OK. :thumbs: There were a few minor things, such as saying were instead of are, but as they did not really change the meaning of the sentence, I did not mark them down.

A very interesting tale so far. Now, it seems that all the characters are trying to hide things from one another, but then again, I guess detective stories are like that. I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Cheers, Aligator.
Hi Aligator
Thanks
You are quite right. I`m enjoying reading it. Have uploaded chapters 3 and 4
Aligator

Post by Aligator »

Vineymala wrote: October 18th, 2021, 3:30 am ... Have uploaded chapters 3 and 4
Hi Vineymala,

Chapter 3 is PL OK. :D I haven't yet PLed Chapter 4, but will likely do it later on today or tomorrow.

Once again, more intrigue is added to the storyline, but from the number of chapters in the book, I'd think the supicions and suspense will increase further.

Cheers, Aligator.
Vineymala

Post by Vineymala »

Hi Aligator

Just uploaded chapter 5
Aligator

Post by Aligator »

Vineymala wrote: October 18th, 2021, 3:30 am ... Have uploaded chapters 3 and 4
Hi Vineymala,

Chapter 4 is PL OK. :clap:
Vineymala wrote: October 18th, 2021, 10:49 pm Hi Aligator

Just uploaded chapter 5
Thanks for that. Chapter 5 is also PL OK. :thumbs: I really like the way you add voice inflections when the characters are surprised, asking questions, etc. I think it adds to the story, and kind of makes the characters more real.

Cheers, Aligator.
Vineymala

Post by Vineymala »

Hi Aligator
Thanks for the appreciation. :D
uploaded chapter 6