[solo] The Ultimate Weapon by John Campbell - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The Ultimate Weapon, by John Wood Campbell. Jr. (1910 - 1971)

This project is now in our catalog at https://librivox.org/the-ultimate-weapon-by-john-wood-campbell-jr/

Volunteers outside the USA: John Wood Campbell. Jr. died in 1971. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
A rip-roaring space adventure from the 1930's when science wasn't so nit-picky about details by the legendary John Campbell. A race in another solar system many light years away from Earth is looking for some solar system with a sun more stable than their highly erratic one. They discover our nice neat little system and decide to move. With faster than light drive and much more advanced science and weapons it looks like a walk over by the away team. But they make the mistake of showing their hand just a bit too soon to earth's most amazing genius and inventor. The fight is on and it is bloody but our hero, using desperate means and a lot of uncertainty finally develops the ultimate weapon, And not a second too soon. Listen and enjoy this early SF story. - (Summary by phil chenevert)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23790

Target completion date: 0-12-00

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Part # of The Ultimate Weapon. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Ultimate Weapon, by John Wood Campbell. Jr.. Part
."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Part # of The Ultimate Weapon, by John Wood Campbell. Jr.. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of part #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Ultimate Weapon, by John Wood Campbell. Jr.."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: ultimateweapon_##_campbelljr_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. ultimateweapon_01_campbelljr_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: philchenevert

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Someone has volunteered to DPL this project.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Hi Phil,

I am here just awaiting a MW and submissions. :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Kalamareader wrote: September 7th, 2021, 1:26 pm Hi Phil,

I am here just awaiting a MW and submissions. :thumbs:

Wayne
Thanks Wayne. I will be setting his up tonight.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The first part of this exciting saga is ready for listening. :D
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Great start Phil.

Looking forward to more. :D

Only one small correction:

1:25 He had the body and muscles of a dock navvy, which Nature started out to make. You said Navy. Navvy is pronounced ˈna-vē the first syllable is pronounced like the middle syllable in banana. Deff: "a man who is employed to do unskilled physical work, usually building or making roads."

Wayne
Wayne
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Kalamareader wrote: September 21st, 2021, 3:45 pm Great start Phil.

1:25 He had the body and muscles of a dock navvy, which Nature started out to make. You said Navy. Navvy is pronounced ˈna-vē the first syllable is pronounced like the middle syllable in banana. Deff: "a man who is employed to do unskilled physical work, usually building or making roads."

Wayne
I never knew how to pronounce that! thanks Wayne. :thumbs: Fixed it.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

philchenevert wrote: September 21st, 2021, 8:07 pm
Kalamareader wrote: September 21st, 2021, 3:45 pm Great start Phil.

Wayne
I never knew how to pronounce that! thanks Wayne. :thumbs: Fixed it.
Great corrections! Part I PLOK :thumbs:

The only reason I was familiar with it was that 50 years ago when I lived in England it was still a popular description of a large menial labourer ( :lol: ).

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Great job Phil,

Sections 2, 3, and 4 are all PLOK :thumbs:

Section 5 has a couple of things to look at:

:24 simply a specially designed accumulator, You said defined

:35 Behind this was a curious, paraboloid projector . You said parabolic. Subtle but real difference.

Wayne
Wayne
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Section 5 fixed.

I confess that I understand very little of the technical talk in this story but got very excited about the fight as it grows more nasty and brutal. These aliens certainly are very smart and don't crumble when the hero waves his wand. They counterpunch very well. Worthy opponents indeed! If I am mispronouncing an of the physics or electrical terms let me know. Way over my head. It is funny though how he assumes they will be still using morse code dot and dash at this time.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

OK, the whole story is there now. Whew! everything turned out right in the end. :shock:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

philchenevert wrote: September 28th, 2021, 4:05 pm OK, the whole story is there now. Whew! everything turned out right in the end. :shock:
Well, that's good to hear!! :D

I found a little time to listen tonight and have some comments:

In Section 5, did you decided not to correct the second note of mine, parabolic and paraboloid?

Section 6
5:46 I can, and do it in this, charge a certain quantity, You said change

Section 7
2:01.5 I can make it mighty tight though, if I make my surface a perfect parabola. Repeat.

3:01.5 In the metallic molecule state, You said molecular Close, your call

7:51.5 "Now. Keep out from in front of that thing In this sentence the is a kind of stumble in the middle, plus you left of the word Now at the beginning.

15:10.5 Even in their super-fast ships, nearly three and a half weeks passed before the sun they sought, At the end, I heard thought. If I am wrong, kindly disregard this message.

18:13 but they could be guarded against You said would:28 not thirty feet from them as they felt the sudden resistance of the magnetic shields. You said a.

19:22.5 Easily the greater ship chased them down, till only floating dust, and a few small pieces of— At the end of this there are stutters.

Section 8
16:28 Not more than a ten-second exposure could be endured by any one ship, before it must retreat. You said would

Section 9

5:37-6:02 I can't really follow this whole section. Either there is a repeat, or skipping of lines or something. Go ahead and listen to it and see if you can figure it out, or am I just crazy.

9:37 There was no metal in these special suits, even the oxygen tanks were made of synthetic plastics of tremendous strength. I heard stress. Again, I may be wrong.

Boy, he sure is getting long winded, chapter lengthwise1

Wayne
Wayne
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Boy, he sure is getting long winded, chapter lengthwise1
It's the strange physics 'explanations' that he lectures on and on about and the reader (me) is not interested in. I was just wondering how the hell he was going to outwit these guys; get on with the story! He does build suspense though.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Wayne, thanks for your precise notes, they are a great help!!!

Section 5: I uploaded the wrong file. it is now paraboloid.
Section 6: now charge is correct
Section 7: hopefully all the repeats removed and words fixed and it is OK now.
Secton 8: Would replaced with would.
Sect ion 9: the confusing repeat removed but it sounded like Strength to me so I left it alone. :D
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

philchenevert wrote: September 29th, 2021, 2:04 pm Wayne, thanks for your precise notes, they are a great help!!!

Section 5: I uploaded the wrong file. it is now paraboloid.
Section 6: now charge is correct
Section 7: hopefully all the repeats removed and words fixed and it is OK now.
Secton 8: Would replaced with would.
Sect ion 9: the confusing repeat removed but it sounded like Strength to me so I left it alone. :D
Sections 5-9 are now all PLOK :thumbs:

Great job with the corrections.

Will get to the 'Rest of the Story' soon.

Wayne
Wayne