COMPLETE The Begum's Fortune by Jules Verne - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

The Begum's Fortune, by Jules Verne (1828 - 1905), translated by Willian Henry Giles Kingston (1814 - 1880)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-begums-fortune-by-jules-verne/
A novel with some utopian elements, but primarily dystopian. A French doctor and a German professor both inherit a vast fortune as descendants of a French soldier who married the rich widow of an Indian prince. They both decide to go to America and establish their own "ideal" society. Dr. Sarrasin, the French doctor, is focused on maintaining public health. He builds Ville-France. Professor Schultze, the German scientist, is a bit of a militarist and racist. He builds Stahlstadt and devotes his city to the production of ever more powerful weapons so that he can destroy Sarrasin's city. They manage to get the US to cede sovereignty to two cities so that the two newly rich men can create their utopia. The setting for Ville-France would place it on the Oregon Coast, near Bandon, Oregon. The location for the second city, Stahlstadt, is less clear, but the description would place it somewhere near Roseburg, Oregon.
(Summary by Kate Follis)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/begumsfortune00vernrich/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2021-10-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction; General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900; War & Military Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Jules Verne, utopia, dystopia, Oregon

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Begum's Fortune. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Begum's Fortune, by Jules Verne, translated by Willian Henry Giles Kingston. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Begum's Fortune, by Jules Verne, translated by Willian Henry Giles Kingston. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Begum's Fortune, by Jules Verne, translated by Willian Henry Giles Kingston."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: begumsfortune_##_verne_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. begumsfortune_01_verne_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Kate Follis
I love to read, AND my employer matches my volunteer hours with a donation to the Internet Archive, flagged to benefit Librivox.org. How cool is that?
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Happy to join you as DPL again :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

jennlea wrote: September 11th, 2021, 11:05 pm Happy to join you as DPL again :)
So awesome, Jenn! Thank you. This should be fun. We should be all set up pretty soon and I'll get busy recording.
Kate Follis
I love to read, AND my employer matches my volunteer hours with a donation to the Internet Archive, flagged to benefit Librivox.org. How cool is that?
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

edit: Let me know if any changes are needed.
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

craigdav1 wrote: September 12th, 2021, 1:54 pm MW coming up.

edit: Let me know if any changes are needed.
Thank you! Looks good so far, but I'll flag you if I need to make changes.
Kate Follis
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving to Going Solo forum.
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Kate Follis
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Off to a great start!

Chapter 1 is PL-OK!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Awesome, thanks Jenn.

Here's Chapter 2 for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/begumsfortune_02_verne_128kb.mp3
26:10

Please make sure the file length is right before you listen. In the archive.org version, I discovered that page 29 was missing. I originally read it with an awkward transition, but went on a hunt for the missing page and finally found it in a copy that someone had scanned and is selling on Kindle for 99 cents. I PL'ed that short section, but can copy/paste the original text here for you if you'd like.
Kate Follis
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

I found a copy of the page here that I can use for PLing if it looks to be the same:
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.hn5bf7&view=2up&seq=53&skin=2021

Hopefully there won’t be anymore missing pages for you in the archive version.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

jennlea wrote: September 21st, 2021, 3:34 pm I found a copy of the page here that I can use for PLing if it looks to be the same:
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.hn5bf7&view=2up&seq=53&skin=2021

Hopefully there won’t be anymore missing pages for you in the archive version.
Yes! That's it. Thank you - I forgot all about that source. And yes, agree - hope there won't be more missing pages - I did do a scan looking for blank pages and gaps, so fingers crossed that nothing else is missing.
Kate Follis
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Section 2 sounds great! Though I can definitely see how odd it would have sounded without the missing page!

The file is coming in at just slightly over the 92dB max volume. Lowering the overall volume should be an easy fix and then this section will be perfect!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

jennlea wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 8:38 pm Section 2 sounds great! Though I can definitely see how odd it would have sounded without the missing page!

The file is coming in at just slightly over the 92dB max volume. Lowering the overall volume should be an easy fix and then this section will be perfect!
Thanks, Jenn! I lowered the volume just a bit and re-uploaded the file (https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/begumsfortune_02_verne_128kb.mp3) so it should be within range now.
Kate Follis
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Kate Follis
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Kate Follis