[COMPLETE]The Blue Review Vol 1 No 2 by Various-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Don't quote me - but I think 1879 was when the USA decided to believe in book copyright - before that American publishers just took what they wanted and published - and the authors got nothing. Hence the number of different translations and titles of Jules Verne books around they were grabbed from France, translated rapidly and published
Also my understanding of Haithi is that it was set up to share the holdings of the USA universities and you had to be a member - and they used the copyright info that each university had used. It has become more open and they are in fact working their way through the collection establishing up-to-date copyright but it is a big task.
And it really isn't unusual for people published in 1915 to be alive for a lot longer :D

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Well, thank you for the detective work, and for trying to get this scan released. I guess Hathi is hit and miss. I've seen some scans much, much later than 1879, but also been blocked for scans that were definitely PD. Maybe they're working their way through piecemeal as time allows.

I don't understand 1879 either. Authors in the UK protected by UK copyright, such as Hardy and Kipling, had their work published by US publishers (that is, not legally protected by US copyright) well after 1879. (Hardy was fairly pacifist about the legal loophole, but Kipling got combative.) This aspect of publishing history/transatlantic legal history is not my main area of expertise, so maybe that year is a watershed for other reasons I'm not thinking of. Or perhaps it's just a year that Hathi decided on because they needed to draw a line somewhere (they're still sticking to 1923 as the PD cutoff year, by the look of the response)? Or maybe even Hathi need to be more cautious than google books about releasing texts because they don't have the legal or financial power to fight copyright claims?

Phil, I support accessibility measures. Would you like me to send you the extra pages so you can read along? They're individual pages (Hathi won't let you download the full pdf), but if it would help I'd be delighted to do it. I'll also reiterate that there were a few tiny textual changes, so if you read along with the 1915/1916 scan while listening it will look like there are discrepancies. I don't know if that will give you trouble, but I'm also happy to send you those pages from the 1921 edition if it would help.
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks for the explanations! Sounds like I am complaining, but I'm not! Hathi quite often comes up with the goods when IA and PG don't.

Erin, please send me the scans, but only if you have them already. Don't go to the trouble of making a new scan. It's just that I am not very good at listening to or reading poetry, but it works quite well when I do both at the same time :D
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi both,

I have just uploaded the last two corrections for issue 1 and posted over there. If they are okay, it should be ready to catalogue.

I just discovered that my son also has a Blue Yeti microphone, which is it what I used for the original. Different room, but they don't sound too bad, and there is no end to the lockdown in sight here.

Phil
Newgatenovelist

No 1 is all ready for the catalogue - well done on sourcing a Blue Yeti mid-pandemic, even if you did pinch it from your son!

I've sent a test email with a few page scans. I don't know at what point the spam filter thinks attachments look suspicious, so see what it makes of this one.
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Newgatenovelist wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 11:20 am well done on sourcing a Blue Yeti mid-pandemic, even if you did pinch it from your son!
Ha Ha, Have they been in short supply? I'll tell you how he got it. They contacted him on YouTube and said they'd give him a free one if he'd post a video of himself using it. Don't know if he's made the video yet.

Thanks for the scans, I'll get back to on email on that.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/bluereview2_06_various.mp3 - 14:43
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/bluereview2_08_various.mp3 - 08:27

Parts 6 & 8 ready for PL! (I'll come back to 7 later). Another Gilbert Cannan - last time you said he sent you down a rabbit hole, did you find anything interesting down there?
Newgatenovelist

Parts 6 and 8 are PL OK.

With Gilbert Cannan I found small things of interest. With this particular rabbit hole I didn't find anything that really made me sit up and take notice and want to bump his books to the front of my reading queue. His work certainly does look interesting, but that's kind of how I assess things - their place in the (downloaded) reading pile!

I don't know if Yetis specifically were in short supply but I think that decent, affordable mics sold out fairly quickly when people wanted clearer sound for Zoom or wanted to start podcasting during the various/rolling lockdowns. Thankfully, thus far I haven't needed to replace mine, so I can't say from personal experience of trying to shop for mics.

If your son has a YouTube channel tell me about it in the email about the poetry scans!
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Part 5 is corrected and ready for spot PL!

I guess Gilbert Cannan is like several of the Rhythm/Blue Review writers - prolific and probably quite good, but it is difficult to find anything that stands out in their work. With the exception of Lawrence, of course.

This is the channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClSayiZEd3lnsjp68cF7A2w
Newgatenovelist

Section 5 is spot PL OK.

I don't know, Cannan might be terrific, but there is always more to read than time to read it. It's a nice problem to have, but it does cause a nagging feeling that there's always another author out there who isn't being given a fair chance.

Thank you for the link!
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/blurreview2_07_various.mp3 - 15:28

Part 7 ready for PL! A nice Katherine Mansfield story. I guess one of the problems they had keeping this going was a lack of original fiction - I think the two Katherine Mansfield's are the only fiction in this issue and I believe she was also propping up the Blue Review financially.
Newgatenovelist

One note for section 7. The reading itself is fine, but there's a typo in the file name.

I don't know the history of the Blue Review, but it wouldn't surprise me if Mansfield needed to provide copy to fill the pages. She wouldn't have been the first editor/partner of the editor to do so.

File name – the E in Blue is R, so it will sort the files out of sequence if it isn’t changed before cataloguing.
On a lighter note, it sort of looks like you’re a Britpop fan reviewing the band Blur!
Off LV 25-28 March.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll fix the file name while cataloguing - I always do , it is just so much easier to do befor they get to Archive. So as kong as all the versions of a file have the same name or thhhhhat the final version is the one showing in the MW all is fine

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Okay, no problem. Some MCs prefer to have it reuploaded and others don't!

I've changed it to PL OK and put a note in the MW so you don't have to rummage through the thread when it comes time to catalogue. I hope all your glitches this week are as easily solved!
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

I read somewhere along the way that Katherine Mansfield used her 'allowance' to finance the Blue Review, or Rhythm, or both.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/bluereview2_09_various.mp3 - 08:48

A short one, so if you want to leave it till later, I'll upload a few more this week. I've also reuploaded 7 with the correct filename.

It struck me that some of these British modernists were really quite conservative, so I looked up the book he was reviewing - https://archive.org/details/cu31924026417984/page/n7/mode/2up. Not an especially interesting book, but as the author says that his designs will never be built, it seems a bit petty to criticise them for being impractical!