[COMPLETE] How the Codex Was Found by Margaret Dunlop Gibson-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Thank you, Larry.

Section 6 is now Ready for PL.
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Blog: Come Be Still
IG: @storytime.with.hannahmary
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

HannahMary wrote: June 18th, 2021, 12:55 pm Thank you, Larry.

Section 6 is now Ready for PL.
Ah, the hardship of riding a camel. :lol:
I don't have any camel stories, but do have some donkey riding stories to tell from our time in Haiti. :roll:

Anyway, nice reading and glad to mark another chapter PL OK.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Donkey stories would be fun to hear! :D

Thanks.
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

HannahMary wrote: June 19th, 2021, 5:53 pm Donkey stories would be fun to hear! :D

Thanks.
Be careful what you ask for. :lol:
But, not tonight....
~ Larry
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Section 7 is ready for PL.
~ Hannah
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

HannahMary wrote: June 24th, 2021, 4:12 pm Section 7 is ready for PL.
So much for professionals!
Thank God for duplicates. He knows. :)

PL OK
~ Larry
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

silverquill wrote: June 25th, 2021, 9:05 am
HannahMary wrote: June 24th, 2021, 4:12 pm Section 7 is ready for PL.
So much for professionals!
Thank God for duplicates. He knows. :)

PL OK
Yes! That was a neat story of His providence! The next two or three sections are not so interesting to me... mostly copied straight from earlier authors about the convent, etc. But we'll get through them!
~ Hannah
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Sections 8 and 9 are ready for PL.

Ugh... the terminology and French, Greek and Latin in this translation from the Greek! I'm sure I butchered some of it, but if you hear blatant mispronunciation of a word over and over, please let me know to fix it.

A couple more notes:
- Where it switched from the long quotations to the author's interludes, I inserted something like "Note by Mrs. Gibson."
- Where the text had terms or titles printed in Greek script which I cannot read, I just said something like "Greek word" in a "footnote voice."
I hope that's okay!

I can't remember if the next section is more interesting, but at least I don't think it's as long. And then we get back to the twins!
~ Hannah
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I've marked these both PL Ok. I think you have great alacrity in your pronunciation. My French is rudimentary, and so is my Latin.

As for the Greek, I think it is fine to omit the ones that are parenthetical, although they could be included. The other instances, where you've inserted "Greek word," are more problematical. On could wish that these had been transliterated, but they chose not to do so. From my (long time ago) study of Greek:

I would suggest a couple of options:

1. I can easily transliterate these so you can read them.
2. I can read them and send you a file.
3. We can get the help of one of our Greek-speaking LV readers to do the same.

I think it would be worthwhile to make the effort.

I think your handling of the longer notes is fine for clarity.

Really excellent reading. :D
And a fascinating narrative.
~ Larry
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Thanks so much for your thoughtful input, Larry. I was also surprised that Mrs. Gibson didn't transliterate those few words in her translation, but I can only read a few letters of the alphabet (based on knowing Cyrillic), so it was truly "Greek to me!"

I would really appreciate it if you could send me the transliterations of the Greek titles/terms for me to record and replace the spots where I said "Greek word." That would be much better. But no rush.
~ Hannah
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Continuing the thought above...

I finished the rough recording of the book today and found a couple more pages with Greek which could use your help.

Having just skimmed through the text for the last three sections, I hope I found all the pages you would need - as follows (page numbers are those printed on the original text - not those added by the scanned copy):

p.102 - 3 words (Is one of them something like "Theophileatatos"? The others have too many unfamiliar for me to even guess at.)
p.104 - 4 words
p.105 - 2 words
p.106 - 2 words
p.114 - 1 word repeated in text and footnote
p.123 - Title of poem

If this is too much to ask of you, I can do as you suggested and look for a Greek speaker on LV.

But again, don't feel rushed. I am in no hurry to finish.
~ Hannah
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I'd be glad to do this for you. Looks as if the next week will be busy -- family things and old college friend visiting -- but I'll get to it as soon as I can.

I recently signed up to do a section in a philosophy book that has some Greek in it, so I'm warming up. 8-)
~ Larry
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

silverquill wrote: July 1st, 2021, 8:27 pm I'd be glad to do this for you. Looks as if the next week will be busy -- family things and old college friend visiting -- but I'll get to it as soon as I can.

I recently signed up to do a section in a philosophy book that has some Greek in it, so I'm warming up. 8-)
Thank you! Enjoy your special week! (...and your return to Greek. :D )
~ Hannah
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

One more thought on this, Larry:
I don't know how you would prefer to get the pronunciations across to me... through typing or audio. If the latter case, you can feel free to upload samples with the file name of Section 14 in this project for me to hear. (I ended up with a few extra sections we'll delete before cataloguing.)

Anyway, still do not feel any time pressure with this project. I'm in no rush.
~ Hannah
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

HannahMary wrote: July 12th, 2021, 12:46 pm One more thought on this, Larry:
I don't know how you would prefer to get the pronunciations across to me... through typing or audio. If the latter case, you can feel free to upload samples with the file name of Section 14 in this project for me to hear. (I ended up with a few extra sections we'll delete before cataloguing.)

Anyway, still do not feel any time pressure with this project. I'm in no rush.
Alternately, you can upload them to the nonprojects folder and name it whatever you want. codexgreek_hannah or whatever, really. Actually, I would prefer this over putting it in my folder with a file name similar to the real file names for this book. Too easy to get them mixed up in that case.