early scifi-SOLO Theodore Savage by Cicely Hamilton - alg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Jmazzocchi
Posts: 28
Joined: January 9th, 2021, 7:12 pm

Post by Jmazzocchi » April 3rd, 2021, 8:08 am

Oh my gosh...thank you so much! That is so kind. I think the shorter chapters are always going to be better because I am less worried about interruptions and can fully get into the story. My dogs have not been overly cooperative with the recording process. I will add the corrected chapters to the MW and post them here as well. Thank you! And yes, this book resonated with me because it touches on so many themes that are present in our world today. It is amazing. Hoping to do it justice. Thanks again for all of the help you are providing!

Jennifer


Kalamareader
Posts: 1246
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » April 3rd, 2021, 3:20 pm

Great job. Your corrections were seamless.

Sections 1,2,3 and 5 are PLOK :thumbs:

Keep up the good work. I am really 'into' this story. "Feed" me more. :lol:

Wayne
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

Jmazzocchi
Posts: 28
Joined: January 9th, 2021, 7:12 pm

Post by Jmazzocchi » April 4th, 2021, 7:05 am

Yay!! Thank you! So great to see it coming together. I loaded Chapter 6 and 7 today. Links are below. Thanks again!

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_06_hamilton_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_07_hamilton_128kb.mp3

Kalamareader
Posts: 1246
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » April 6th, 2021, 8:27 pm

Jmazzocchi wrote:
April 4th, 2021, 7:05 am
Yay!! Thank you! So great to see it coming together. I loaded Chapter 6 and 7 today. Links are below. Thanks again!

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_06_hamilton_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_07_hamilton_128kb.mp3
Jennifer,

Your readings on both were right on! I will give Chapter 6 a PLOK :thumbs:

But on Chapter 7 you have quite a bit of 'background' noise. I did a little experimenting with it and if you 'select' an 'empty' space in the middle of the recording, then use that as the 'Noise Profile' in Noise Reduction in Audacity, then select the entire recording, it will take it down a lot.

Do you have the Checker program to help you with the volume on your recordings? If so, the bottom 'read-out' is "Background Noise". The goal is between 25 and 35 with 40 the number which really can cause problems. Even though yours is 36.9 it is noticeable. If you select one of those 'blank' spaces, and then just listen to it through headphones, you can hear the background noise.

Also, something I have noticed with your recordings is that they start just at or just a very little bit beyond one second. You can certainly start it anywhere between .5 and 1 second, you don't have to be right on it.

This story is really, really dark right now. I kind of hope these folks come out on the other side a little better than they are now. :shock:

Keep up the good work,

Wayne
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

Jmazzocchi
Posts: 28
Joined: January 9th, 2021, 7:12 pm

Post by Jmazzocchi » April 8th, 2021, 8:39 am

Thanks so much Wayne! I'll look into some noise reduction for Chapter 7. I'll be posting Chapter 8 soon too. Wish I could say the story gets brighter...

Jmazzocchi
Posts: 28
Joined: January 9th, 2021, 7:12 pm

Post by Jmazzocchi » April 9th, 2021, 7:47 am

Hi Wayne! Happy Friday.

Corrected (I hope) Chapter 7: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_07_hamilton_128kb.mp3

Chapter 8: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_08_hamilton_128kb.mp3

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Jennifer

Kalamareader
Posts: 1246
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » April 14th, 2021, 4:52 pm

Jmazzocchi wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 7:47 am
Hi Wayne! Happy Friday.

Corrected (I hope) Chapter 7: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_07_hamilton_128kb.mp3

Chapter 8: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_08_hamilton_128kb.mp3

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Jennifer
Jennifer,

First I want to apologize for taking so long to PL these. :oops: I was away from computers from Friday through Monday, so I saw this yesterday and meant to PL it, but it got forgotten amongst other PL assignments.

Chapter 7 is great. The background noise is down to 24.9 which is outstanding, so Chapter 7 is very PLOK :thumbs:

Now on to Chapter 8 (by the way, one of the more depressing scenes I have read in a long time). There a couple of things that you might look at:

5:56 Do you know where we made the mistake ? You said “he

11:49 concerning a world he was leaving. I think I heard “loosing”, but I may be wrong.

In Chapter 8 you have the same kind of background noise. It is now 36.7, very close to what 7 was. So, if you could do the same thing on eight that you did on seven, I am sure it would work out just fine.

And, since you are going to be in here anyway, could you shorten the intro silence some? It is not a big amount, and I wouldn't have said anything if there wasn't anything else.

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

Jmazzocchi
Posts: 28
Joined: January 9th, 2021, 7:12 pm

Post by Jmazzocchi » April 15th, 2021, 5:58 am

Hi Wayne,

Thanks so much! No worries on the timing. I've been working on other chapters. Appreciate the feedback. I'll make those changes and post the update when done.

Yes, this book is DARK. I think 8 was my favorite, but truly most depressing chapter.

Next book is going to have to be a happy one!

Jennifer

Jmazzocchi
Posts: 28
Joined: January 9th, 2021, 7:12 pm

Post by Jmazzocchi » April 19th, 2021, 8:26 am

Hi Wayne,

Hope you had a great weekend! Here's corrected Chapter 8 and a couple new ones for PL. Thanks so much!

Jennifer

Corrected Chapter 8: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_08_hamilton_128kb.mp3

Chapter 9: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_09_hamilton_128kb.mp3

Chapter 10: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_10_hamilton_128kb.mp3

Kalamareader
Posts: 1246
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » April 19th, 2021, 8:44 pm

Jmazzocchi wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 8:26 am
Hi Wayne,

Hope you had a great weekend! Here's corrected Chapter 8 and a couple new ones for PL. Thanks so much!

Jennifer

Corrected Chapter 8: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_08_hamilton_128kb.mp3

Chapter 9: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_09_hamilton_128kb.mp3

Chapter 10: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_10_hamilton_128kb.mp3
Jennifer,

Well, at least in Chapter 10 things seemed to be a little better. Isn't it interesting how situations are changed by perceptions? If one had started reading in Chapter 10, it would have been very depressing, but after the preceding nine, it was actually pretty good.

Chapters 8 and 10 are both PLOK :thumbs: , and nine was soooo close that it hurts. :lol:

10:38.5 holding tightly to his arm You said lightly Twenty-eight seconds from perfection. :roll:

Looking forward to more,

Wayne
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

Jmazzocchi
Posts: 28
Joined: January 9th, 2021, 7:12 pm

Post by Jmazzocchi » April 22nd, 2021, 11:36 am

Thank so much Wayne!

Ah Chapter 9...missed it by that much! I'll get that correction done and load it along with Chapters 11 and 12 soon. Thanks again!

Jennifer

Kalamareader
Posts: 1246
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » April 22nd, 2021, 8:09 pm

Jmazzocchi wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 11:36 am

...missed it by that much!
Jennifer
Sounds like another Maxwell Smart fan. :lol:

Wayne
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

Jmazzocchi
Posts: 28
Joined: January 9th, 2021, 7:12 pm

Post by Jmazzocchi » April 23rd, 2021, 6:26 am

Ha...ha...Yes! Showing my age.

I'm attaching corrected Chapter 9 as well as Chapters 11 and 12. Thanks so much for reading!
Note to self: next book happier and less dialog (not so great at dialog and should stick to narrative)

Corrected Chapter 9: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_09_hamilton_128kb.mp3

Chapter 11: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_11_hamilton_128kb.mp3

Chapter 12: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_12_hamilton_128kb.mp3

Kalamareader
Posts: 1246
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » April 24th, 2021, 2:24 pm

Jmazzocchi wrote:
April 23rd, 2021, 6:26 am
Ha...ha...Yes! Showing my age.

I'm attaching corrected Chapter 9 as well as Chapters 11 and 12. Thanks so much for reading!
Note to self: next book happier and less dialog (not so great at dialog and should stick to narrative)

Corrected Chapter 9: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_09_hamilton_128kb.mp3

Chapter 11: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_11_hamilton_128kb.mp3

Chapter 12: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_12_hamilton_128kb.mp3
Well, 99, I think it's time we use the 'cone of silence'.

Wow, that was a change in tone. It will be interesting to see how this all goes.

Chapters 9, 11 and 12 are all very PLOK :thumbs:

Looking forward to more.

86
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

Post Reply