Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Two more chapters up!
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Section 26 is PL OK!

Section 25 has a couple spots with repeats to cut out. (Good to know it's not only me!)
@ 3:45
@ 4:45-5:15
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Blog: Come Be Still
IG: @storytime.with.hannahmary
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Chapter 25 is corrected. So sorry to subject you to my many, many attempts at "gaed me my mait!" :lol: I must have been tired by the time I finished, because I clearly didn't go back to check. :roll:
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Chapter 25 is PL OK. And you sounded so patient with yourself through the process of getting to a satisfactory take. I usually have to edit out sighs, groans, or laughs when I am in the same situation! :lol:
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I had a crazy idea... And I'm asking myself whether it would be worth it. I keep thinking about that conversation between Malcolm and Lenorme, and MacDonald's telling us to imagine their accents. I'm thinking of going back in the text, and finding each instance of Lenorme and of Malcolm's English, and redoing them. It would take some time, but the more I think of it, the more sure I am that I could do it. Of course, it would push my projected date back considerably, and I'm already a bit behind. But I think I'd be happier with the result. From the moment that Malcolm began speaking English, it didn't feel quite right to me to drop into my own accent entirely. :hmm:

I can provide you time stamps for everything that I change, to make a spot PL easier on you. What do you think?
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

mightyfelix wrote: February 16th, 2021, 12:42 pm I had a crazy idea... And I'm asking myself whether it would be worth it. I keep thinking about that conversation between Malcolm and Lenorme, and MacDonald's telling us to imagine their accents. I'm thinking of going back in the text, and finding each instance of Lenorme and of Malcolm's English, and redoing them. It would take some time, but the more I think of it, the more sure I am that I could do it. Of course, it would push my projected date back considerably, and I'm already a bit behind. But I think I'd be happier with the result. From the moment that Malcolm began speaking English, it didn't feel quite right to me to drop into my own accent entirely. :hmm:

I can provide you time stamps for everything that I change, to make a spot PL easier on you. What do you think?
I'm up to it if you are feeling ambitious!
~ Hannah
benjaminpwhite

Post by benjaminpwhite »

Thanks for doing this! Can't wait! Just finished Malcolm. It was superb.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, a couple weeks ago, I went and pulled out of the text all of the lines that will need to be redone to incorporate the accents I intend to use for Malcolm and Lenorme. Today I finally sat down (after listening to some good British cinema, to get the right sound in my head) and recorded all of Lenorme's lines. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I can do the same with Malcolm. Then it should be simple to slot them all in place, and then finally begin moving forward again!
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

mightyfelix wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:24 am Well, a couple weeks ago, I went and pulled out of the text all of the lines that will need to be redone to incorporate the accents I intend to use for Malcolm and Lenorme. Today I finally sat down (after listening to some good British cinema, to get the right sound in my head) and recorded all of Lenorme's lines. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I can do the same with Malcolm. Then it should be simple to slot them all in place, and then finally begin moving forward again!
:thumbs:
Do you have any good audio/video sources to inspire you for the Scots Doric dialog? I am pondering a solo of "Heather and Snow" but not sure how consistent I can sound yet.
~ Hannah
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Not great ones. There are some Scottish Youtubers I've watched before, and sometimes it's helpful to listen to them for awhile before recording, to get the "sound" into my head. I can't remember the name of any, except WeeScottishLass. But I have no idea how similar or dissimilar their specific accent is to what MacDonald intended.

Heather and Snow would be well worth while. I've been working my way through it (slowly) for the second time. I'd be happy to DPL/MC if you decide to go for it.
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

mightyfelix wrote: April 17th, 2021, 8:43 pm Not great ones. There are some Scottish Youtubers I've watched before, and sometimes it's helpful to listen to them for awhile before recording, to get the "sound" into my head. I can't remember the name of any, except WeeScottishLass. But I have no idea how similar or dissimilar their specific accent is to what MacDonald intended.

Heather and Snow would be well worth while. I've been working my way through it (slowly) for the second time. I'd be happy to DPL/MC if you decide to go for it.
If you were planning to do H&S next yourself, just say, because I don't want to take it away from you! I still haven't decided if this is the time for a big commitment anyway. But as I'm re-reading the remaining unrecorded MacDonalds, I find that I am not interested in most of them for solos.
~ Hannah
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Oh no, I'm not planning to record it any time soon. Just reading for pleasure. I think after this one, I may do Castle Warlock. Or Warlock o' Glenwarlock. I think it was published under both titles.
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

mightyfelix wrote: April 20th, 2021, 9:46 am Oh no, I'm not planning to record it any time soon. Just reading for pleasure. I think after this one, I may do Castle Warlock. Or Warlock o' Glenwarlock. I think it was published under both titles.
Good goal! As much as I would love to offer to PL that one too, parts of that book creeped me out to the extent that I don't plan to re-read it! :oops:
~ Hannah
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Oh, it's the spooky bits that I love about it! :lol: That's why I love Donal Grant so much, too!

To keep you in the loop on what's going on with this one, it seems that I've had a bit of a block about doing Malcolm's voice. But I think that once I get back into the flow of the story, it will come easier. So I think I'm just going to continue on, then back up and plug in the voices later. I hope to get back into it this week or next.
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

:thumbs:
~ Hannah