COMPLETE: The Scottish Fairy Book by Elizabeth W. Grierson - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

The Scottish Fairy Book by Elizabeth W. Grierson (1869 - 1943).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-scottish-fairy-book-by-elizabeth-w-grierson/
This book of Scottish fairy tales tells of brownies, fairies, and apparitions, bogies, witches, kelpies, and tales told about a mysterious region under the sea, "far below the abode of fishes," where the Mermaids and Mermen live. There are stories of the Brownie, magical animal tales where the animals are endowed with the power of speech, tales of enchantment, and legendary stories, half real, half mythical. The author has tried to make a representative collection from these different classes of Scottish Folklore, choosing the tales that are the least well known. ( Nan Dodge, taken from the introduction.)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37532
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales

Keywords that describe the book: scottish celtic tales fairies bogies witches kelpies legends myths folklore

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Scottish Fairy Book. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Scottish Fairy Book, by Elizabeth W. Grierson. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Scottish Fairy Book by Elizabeth W. Grierson. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Scottish Fairy Book, by Elizabeth W. Grierson. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename scottishfairybook_##_grierson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. scottishfairybook_01_grierson_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Okay, I've got a question, having started this ambitious but fun project.

I found another (shorter) children's book I would love to do first, but already launched this one. Can I put this one on hold and start the other one? Can I have two things going at once, or is that not advisable?

Thank you,

Nan
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

It's pretty much up to you, although I don't know if there are many people who have two solos going at once. I have a solo and a bunch of group projects going at almost all times.

But maybe I should have let an admin answer your question. :oops:

I'm only posting here to say that... If/When you do decide to proceed on this project.... May I be your DPL pretty please??? :mrgreen:
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Some soloists prefer to work on two books at once. If you wish I will set this up for you..
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Yes please. This one is more long term -- the other one I chose is a shorter children's book. I will do that one now, and thank you.
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

And Devorah, I would love for you to be my PL'er! Thank you!

Nan
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Nedge wrote: September 11th, 2018, 1:57 pm And Devorah, I would love for you to be my PL'er! Thank you!

Nan
Yay!!! :clap:

I have a weakness for Scottish fairy tales. Looking forward to this! :D
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Let me know if any changes are needed. I will be traveling for several weeks and not online every day. That doesn't seem an issue here though.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving to Going Solo forum to keep the Launch Pad tidy.
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Great! I will PL tomorrow. It's pretty late now. :)
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

THis one's going to be slow going. :) Take YOUR time because I plan on doing the same. I did a story yesterday -- I wonder if I'll EVER get to the point where I can record something and NOT go back and take an hour or more editing -- taking out bits, adding more, taking out extra space and clicks and snorts ... :roll:

Nan
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Very interesting stuff in the preface! Makes me excited to hear the stories! :D

I have one note regarding the intro. Maybe more of a suggestion, even. You introduced the section by saying, "The Scottish Fairy Book. This is a LibriVox...." etc. etc. If I'm not mistaken, the reason for stating the name and chapter here at the very beginning is so a listener can know at once which section they are listening to, and you did not include the section number. Now, I know "Chapter Zero" sounds odd, but maybe lead in with something like "Preface of The Scottish Fairy Book?"
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Devorah, quite right -- thank you. Probably won't be doing any fixing today -- just got in from a day with the daughter and grandson, but I will take your suggestion. :)

Nan
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Devorah, I changed the beginning to "The Scottish Fairy Book, by Elizabeth W. Grierson. Preface." And then the Librivox stuff.

Listening to the preface, I notice a LOT of the stuffy maiden aunt quality that I'm trying to get rid of, so I will probably rerecord it. (Listen to the first sentence of the preface to see what I mean.) I want this book to be done as well as I can possibly do it.

Nan