Hymns and Hymnwriters of Denmark, J.C. Aaberg

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Ever wonder why hymns were written, and what shaped the poetry of their lyrics? In Hymns and Hymnwriters of Denmark, Aaberg provides biographical sketches of three of Denmark's most prominent hymnwriters--Kingo, Brorson, and Grundtvig--outlining the influcences of family, personal spiritual life, and Denmark's political, cultural, and church history on their hymns. He provides new translations of many hymns, giving English speakers insight into what shaped the hymns of the Danish Lutheran Church. Bonus: this book is written for the layman, not academics. (This is my hastily written summary; it may be used--with or without edits--if someone wishes.)

I've read Hymns and Hymnwriters of Denmark by J.C. Aaberg (1877-1970), and I considered being BC for it (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29666), but I realized I'll have to wait until 2031 or a relocation to do it. (On that note, please let me know if I need to take even this information down.)

Nevertheless, here's some background work if anyone wants to pick it up...or if I'm still around on here in 9 years, perhaps I'll remember and start it then (but please, if it's interesting to you, pick it up!)

I had planned to have people read the footnotes (even just the ones referencing other translations--it allows better accessibility for people with vision impairment who listen). I didn't plan to have the readers read the picture captions.

I had planned to have standard PL for the prose, but word perfect PL for the hymns.

And, of course, I had planned to instruct readers to read the hymns like poetry (chanted) rather than singing them (unless they know them, I guess!).

Two of the chapters (9 and 15) are more than 6000 words and have a lot of hymns in them. It might be worthwhile to break those two, but it should be possible to get them in a single file if desired.

Title Page and Foreword: 506 words
Please read full title page with publication information
Chapter 1: Early Danish Hymnody: approx 1229 words (with footnote)
Chapter 2: Reformation Hymnody: approx 1925 words
Chapter 3: Kingo’s Childhood and Youth: approx 4152 words
Note: Please read section heading (Thomas Kingo, the Easter Poet of Denmark) before stating the chapter (i.e., "Thomas King, the Easter Poet of Denmark, Chapter 3: Kingo’s Childhood and Youth")
Chapter 4: Kingo, the Hymnwriter: approx 3058 words (with footnote)
Chapter 5: Kingo’s Psalmbook: approx 1160 words
Chapter 6: Kingo’s Church Hymns: approx 2093 words (with footnotes)
Chapter 7: Kingo’s Later Years: approx 1789 words
Chapter 8: Brorson’s Childhood and Youth: approx 2150 words
Note: Please read section heading (Hans Adolph Brorson, the Christmas Singer of Denmark) before stating the chapter (i.e., "Hans Adolph Brorson, the Christmas Singer of Denmark, Chapter 8: Brorson's Childhood and Youth")
Chapter 9: The Singer of Pietism: approx 6178 words
Chapter 10: Brorson’s SWAN-SONG: approx 2364
Note: Chapter 10 includes one stanza of a hymn in Danish.
Chapter 11: Grundtvig’s Early Years: approx 3843 words
Note: Please read section heading (Nicolaj Frederik Severin Grundtvig the Singer of Pentecost) before stating the chapter (i.e., "Nicolaj Frederik Severin Grundtvig the Singer of Pentecost, Chapter 11: Grundtvig's Early Years")
Chapter 12: The Lonely Defender of the Bible: approx 4006 words
Chapter 13: The Living Word: approx 3490 words
Chapter 14: The Hymnwriter: approx 2653 words
Chapter 15: Grundtvig’s Hymns: approx 6751 words
Chapter 16: Grundtvig’s Later Years: approx 3660 words (with footnote)
Chapter 17: Other Danish Hymnwriters: approx 2981 words
Note: Chapter 17 includes two book titles and one stanza of a hymn in Danish.

Thanks,
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837