Honor; or, The story of the brave Caspar and the fair Annerl by Clemens Bretano 1778-1842

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
soupy

Post by soupy »

Clemens Brentano - Honor; or, The story of the brave Caspar and the fair Annerl, with an intr. by T.W. Appell (Romanticism)

https://archive.org/details/honororstorybra00brengoog/page/n7/mode/1up

Clemens Brentano 1778-1842

Clemens Brentano was bom near Coblentz, on tlae 9th of September, 1778, and belongs to a family unrivalled in the intellectual world of Germany for the rare endowments, with which all its members have been gifted. His father was. a celebrated mer chant, who, emigrating from Lombardy, became afterwards a counsellor of, and resident in, the free imperial town of Frankfort on the Main, but who always betrayed his southern origin, both in language and in manner. He married Maximiliane Euprosine, secretly beloved by Gothe. This lady was the eldest daughter of Chancellor La Roche, known in the history of German literature, by his "Letters on Monasticism;" and Sophie Gutermann, the first woman in Germany who wrote novels.

"What is the matter with this old woman?" asked I of one of the by-standers: more than one person answered my question. " She has come twelve miles out of the country," " She is unable to go further," "She knows nothing of the town," " She has friends at the other end, but cannot find her way thither." "I would be her guide," said one, " but it is a great way off, and I have not my house-key with me. Besides, she would not know the house where she wishes to go." " But the woman cannot remain lying here," said a new comer. " I have told her so already," answered the first speaker; " nevertheless, she will persist in doing so. I would take her home with me, but she talks so strangely, that I think she must have been drinking."
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge