The Complete Limerick Book by Langford Reed

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
zachh

Post by zachh »

I found out about this book because of a post made by SonOfTheExiles a month or two ago, in which he posted a very clever limerick. I was curious about it and some searching led me to this book. I think it should be PD now as it was published in 1925, but I don't fully understand the copyright system. I was only able to find it in a 1925 edition on Google Books. Archive has a 1974 reprint and it's not on Gutenberg at all yet. I thought it might be a fun book for someone to record, and if no one else does I may try it myself someday, but I'm going to be occupied for a few months with my current project. Also it might provide some fodder for short recordings in poetry collections, possibly.

https://books.google.com/books?id=uCpaAAAAMAAJ&pg
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We did have someone start it as a group project at the beginning of the year, but they gave it up:
I'm sorry to disappoint any of you, but the project doesn't seem very popular and I have discovered why that is so. I've recorded four new chapters and find the limericks to be uniformly difficult and sometimes awful.

This isn't what I expected at all. And I think we all could work on things more worthwhile.

I don't mean to twist anyone's arm here; it's just that I don't think this is going to go anywhere. I would normally just take on the balance of the chapters myself, but I just can't bear the thought of it.
That doesn't mean that someone else might not have better success with it.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
zachh

Post by zachh »

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that when it happened. I must agree that there are doubtless more worthwhile books to be read, but that is likely true of most books, I suppose.