Yellow Thunder, Our Little Indian Cousin by Mary Hazelton Wade

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
KerrieWill

Post by KerrieWill »

The Little Cousin series is a nice introduction for young readers to the study of cultures around the world. These "living books", are sure to appeal to history buffs-or just about any adventure lover. 16 books of the series have already been recorded and are available through LibriVox. I and many other moms I know would love to see the entire series completed!
This specific book, "Our Little Indian Cousin," follows Yellow Thunder.
Overview -
"They call him Yellow Thunder. Do not be afraid of your little cousin because he bears such a terrible name. It is not his fault, I assure you. His grandmother had a dream the night he was born. She believed the Great Spirit, as the Indians call our Heavenly Father, sent this to her. In the dream she saw the heavens in a great storm. Lightning flashed and she constantly heard the roar of thunder. When she awoke in the morning she said, "My first grandson must be called 'Yellow Thunder.'" And Yellow Thunder became his name."
KerrieWill

Post by KerrieWill »

I would love to contribute to a collaborative project of this!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Here is a link to the text, if anyone is interested:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43251
Inspirecj1

Post by Inspirecj1 »

I would like to help.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Inspirecj1 wrote: March 13th, 2021, 9:27 pm I would like to help.
Welcome to LibriVox! :D

So far, we don't know for sure that anyone will do this book. I think it's likely that someone will be interested eventually, but I have no way of knowing that, or knowing whether it will be tomorrow or years from now. Right now, it's only a suggestion, waiting to see if someone decides to adopt it.

If you're interested in recording books, the best way to start is by completing your one-minute test: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test It's basically a sound/tech check. Then, when that test has been okayed, we recommend that you start by joining one or two group projects. You can sign up for open sections in the projects in one of our "Readers Wanted" forums.
Zealygirl

Post by Zealygirl »

I can help!
AlysonH

Post by AlysonH »

I would be happy to help with this project.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hi, Allyson! Please read what mightyfelix wrote a couple posts up. 8-)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KerrieWill

Post by KerrieWill »

Hello!! How would one decide to adopt it??? Would this mean starting a project and volunteering to BC? I'm sure I'm saying a lot of that wrong. THANK YOU!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

KerrieWill wrote: March 31st, 2021, 6:57 pm Hello!! How would one decide to adopt it??? Would this mean starting a project and volunteering to BC? I'm sure I'm saying a lot of that wrong. THANK YOU!
Yes, that's what it would mean. But it is not easy to BC a project. It would require someone who is already familiar with our work flow and the overall processes we use. If you're interested, your best bet would be to get involved in some other projects first, either as a reader or a proof listener. That will help you build up the necessary experience that it takes to become a BC. Then, when you have a better understanding of our processes, you can come back to this book as a BC.
KerrieWill

Post by KerrieWill »

Thank you!

I'm currently a BC on my own solo project, but I know handling a collaboration would be different. Do you think that if I waited until my solo project was completed that I would be able to do it? I appreciated your thoughts. Thank you!!

Kerrie
slgill

Post by slgill »

Hi Kerrie,

If you don't care if this book is done as a group project or solo project, I would be happy to do this book as a solo project. I don't want to step on any toes though, since this was suggested for a collaboration book so that you can participate in it. Do you want to wait until you or someone else can BC it as a collaboration project? If that's the case, no worries, I can look to record one of the other books in the series or one of the other book suggestions. Let me know what you would like.

Thanks!
:) Sue
KerrieWill

Post by KerrieWill »

Hi Sue!!!
So, we're a group of mom's that REALLY want to see all of the little cousins recorded. Would you be at all willing to BC this as a group project? A lot of these volunteers are first time readers and are so excited to get started. We just need a BC !!! I don't think the exact title is totally important. Would you be willing to BC any of the cousins books as a group project? There are several that are already recorded. Let me know your thoughts. THANK YOU!!

Kerrie
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

A lot of these volunteers are first time readers and are so excited to get started. We just need a BC !!!
Have the others joined the forum and done their 1-minute test? That's the first step. :)

It sounds like you don't care which book is done as a group project and which as a group, so slgill could do Yellow Thunder as a solo. Correct?

It may sit around for weeks or months before getting a BC as a group project, whereas if someone wants to record it solo, they can do so.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KerrieWill

Post by KerrieWill »

They've done the one minute test and are all ready to go! Yes on the title doesn't matter :), so if she wants to go for it, then no problem! Question for you tho, if I'm already doing a solo project, could I easily just start a collaborative project as well? THANK YOU!