The Red Lamp by Mary Roberts Rinehart

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
zachh

Post by zachh » January 11th, 2021, 4:22 pm

I would like to do a solo reading of The Red Lamp by Mary Roberts Rinehart. It was published in 1925, so I am confident that it is public domain now, but it has not yet appeared on Project Gutenberg. There seems to be a record of some kind for the book on the hathitrust site, but the pages all seemed to be blank when I looked at it just now and I'm not very familiar with how that site is supposed to work. I'm not ready to start reading for a couple of weeks more, as I'd like to get the last three chapters of my current solo finished first. The reason I'm asking about this now is that I am wondering if it would be better to find something else to read until this book is up on Gutenberg. I can get a physical copy of a 1925 edition for under $10 and read from that, but I don't know how much work it is for the LibriVox volunteer who would have to take the time to go through the copyright check process with me. I'll be happy to order a copy or to wait till it is posted on an accepted site, and will be very grateful for any guidance about which to do. Thank you very much.
Zach

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 11th, 2021, 5:06 pm

Hmm. There are a couple blank pages, but the rest of it is visible for me: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001911109 (then click on Full View)

It's also here, starting on page 377 on the HT slider: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015002717927&view=1up&seq=377

Either of those will work, if you can see them. Otherwise, to use a hard copy, you would send a scan/photo of the title page and copyright page to your MC when you have set up the project and have an MC. So that's a possibility as well.

Note that the hard copy would have to be a true copy, and not one of those self-publishing house reprints. ;)
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Adventure/Travel: Across Mongolian Plains
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Adult dog stories: Best Dog Stories
Gospel of Matthew: Matthew, YLT

zachh

Post by zachh » January 11th, 2021, 5:51 pm

Thank you very much for your help. The pages still looked blank on Safari, which is my default browser, but they worked when I visited the site on Chrome. I should have tried that first before asking for help. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be seeing. The books I have seen for sale under $10 are original 1925 hardbound copies, apparently there were more sold then than are valued by collectors now, as they seem to be pretty cheap, unlike some first editions of other books that I've looked at.