An Earthman On Venus

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Talespinner

Post by Talespinner » January 7th, 2021, 10:53 pm

Hi, I'm Daryl. I'm interested in recording a new version of An Earthman On Venus by Ralph Milne Farley. I know there is one in the catalogue already, but I'd really like to see a solo reading done of it. I'm interested in ther second in the series as well, but I can't seem to find it on the Gutenberg Project. Is it not in the public domain yet?

Daryl

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 8th, 2021, 6:41 am

Welcome!

Most of the science fiction stories we have in our catalog were originally published in magazines (such as Argosy or Weird Tales or Astounding Stories) before being published in book form. Their copyright for the magazine edition wasn't renewed, so they've fallen into the public domain on a kind of technicality.

Gutenberg does research on the copyright renewals, and those it is confident were not renewed, it allows the texts on its site.

It's very possible the sequel was either not printed in a magazine and thus got the full copyright treatment (and renewal), which means it will still be under copyright for a long time.

Errr, okay, done a little bit of looking at the text. :roll:Earthman on Venus was published in 1924, so the above doesn't apply. :lol: It falls under the traditional, "this is now more than 95 years old, so its copyright is expired" rule. In the case of its sequel, it was probably copyright-renewed and thus will be PD on January 1 of the 96th year after publication.

Regarding recording Earthman on Venus: we are A-OK with multiple versions of recordings, so yes, you can record it. But PLEASE record at least one or two sections in group projects first, to get a feel for recording and editing and how much time it takes. A vast majority of new readers who start with solos don't finish them, but drop out, probably due to not knowing how much work it is to record a whole book.

Hope this is informative!
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Adventure/Travel: Across Mongolian Plains
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Adult dog stories: Best Dog Stories
Gospel of Matthew: Matthew, YLT

Talespinner

Post by Talespinner » January 8th, 2021, 11:55 am

Hi Tricia,

Thanks for getting back to me. What you said about The Radio Beasts, the second book by Farley makes sense. What's weird, though, is the third book is in the public domain already. That one's called The Radio Planet and it's available on librivox.

Regarding doing a few shorter works before tackling a solo project, I just uploaded my first reading for a group project and I'll be doing a second almost immediately. Do I need to enlist someone as BC for the solo project, or do I function as that myself? If so, I need to do a little research.

Thanks,
Daryl

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » January 8th, 2021, 12:09 pm

What's weird, though, is the third book is in the public domain already.
That happens. Often it's a mistake by the copyright holder to file the renewal. In Andre Norton's Solar Queen series, the middle two are PD, but the first and fourth are still copyrighted. Basically, her agent screwed up and missed the filing windows for them. Also, stories published in magazines may or may not get re-issued as paperbacks with new copyrights.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 8th, 2021, 12:12 pm

Who knows? :lol: Radio Planet is on Project Gutenberg, but Radio Beasts isn't (yet).

According to ISFDB: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?5703 it was serialized in a magazine in 1925, in which case the magazine story is PD as of January 1 since it's more than 95 years ago. (It may have changed a bit upon publication as a book, so only the magazine is clearly PD.) If one could find the scans of the magazine, one could do that for LV.

Great to hear you're jumping into group projects! As a soloist, you're the BC (and in charge of keeping the Magic Window updated). If you go to the new Projects Launch Pad, there's a thread stuck to the top of the list, "Want to start a solo recording?" That will have much of the info you'll need.

EDIT: Mark posted as I was typing. :)

Talespinner

Post by Talespinner » January 8th, 2021, 5:41 pm

Thanks Tricia,

Appreciate the info.

Daryl

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » January 8th, 2021, 5:53 pm

PG need to be able to get a scan before they can check it is PD and turn it into text and sometimes they can't find one - so it's not really strange that there are gaps :D

Anne

gweeks

Post by gweeks » January 9th, 2021, 4:51 am

Argosy is relatively difficult to get copies of. Under PGDP's current rules we would have to do the entire magazine rather than just the one serial out of it. I think since it's 1925 if we could get scans of the magazine you could do the audio from the scans even if the story wasn't at gutenberg. I don't have copies of the magazines though.

Greg

edit. I have the 1964 Ace printing. I'm going to check it for a Rule 6 clearance.

gweeks

Post by gweeks » January 9th, 2021, 9:10 am

The Radio Beasts has a clearance and is at PGDP now.

https://www.pgdp.net/c/project.php?id=projectID5ff9d169991db

I expect a month or two before it posts to Project Gutenberg.

Greg

Talespinner

Post by Talespinner » January 9th, 2021, 11:48 am

Thanks Greg for the info. I look forward to seeing this on Gutenberg soon. I think it would be a fun project.

Thanks again, Daryl

gweeks

Post by gweeks » January 15th, 2021, 2:48 pm

The Radio Beasts by Ralph Milne Farley
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/64303

Greg

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 15th, 2021, 2:55 pm

So much for a month or two! :lol:

gweeks

Post by gweeks » January 15th, 2021, 4:19 pm

TriciaG wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 2:55 pm
So much for a month or two! :lol:
The text on faded page was from the same edition I cleared. We didn't need to run it through pgdp.

Greg

Talespinner

Post by Talespinner » January 15th, 2021, 10:54 pm

Good news!

Thanks Greg,

Daryl