Ramayana Vol 1 :

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
gusha

Post by gusha » December 29th, 2020, 8:47 pm

Hi,

Am I allowed to do Solo on the Ramayana Volume 1 - text found at https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/57265 ? The site states Release Date as Unknown.

Thanks.
Usha

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 30th, 2020, 7:40 am

This text is OK to use for LibriVox.

However, I would not recommend it as a solo project until you've got a lot more experience. It is 160,000 words, which works out to about 17-18 hours of finished recording. :shock: That's HUGE for a first-time solo!

If you divide it into two projects (starting with BĀLAKĀNDAM first, and then doing the second part as a 2nd solo), that puts the first part at 57,000 words, or about 6-7 hours of finished recording. That's more manageable.
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Adventure/Travel: Across Mongolian Plains
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Adult dog stories: Best Dog Stories
Gospel of Matthew: Matthew, YLT

gusha

Post by gusha » December 30th, 2020, 8:17 pm

Hi Tricia,

Thank you for confirming that the text is ok.
Yes, I totally understand it is a long one. I have read multiple versions of Ramayana and Mahabharata several times since childhood during summer holidays, although this is the first time I will read this version of Ramayana. I hope and wish to do proper justice while recording. Also, I plan to record few chapters in other projects to gain more experience.

And you answered my next question to check if I can split the Volume based on the 'Kanda'. As per original Valmiki Ramayana, there are actually 7 Kandas and which seem to have been consolidated in this series - Volume 1 with 1st and 2nd Kanda ; Volume 2 with next 3 Kandas; Volume 3 with 6th Kanda and Volume 4 with 7th Kanda . So, definitely, taking up each Kanda as one project sounds very correct.

Few additional questions:

While saving files and at start of recording each chapter under each Kanda, isn't it a good idea to also include the Kanda name (like Balakanda ) along with the Section ##?

On page 7, under heading 'The Ramayana in an English Garb' it gives an overview of the Ramayana translation (that is, this is like a preface prior to all the Kandas). How can we deliver this?

If this is not the right place to ask these questions, please let me know.

I will try to work on the template submission tomorrow.

Thanks.
Usha

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 31st, 2020, 8:24 am

While saving files and at start of recording each chapter under each Kanda, isn't it a good idea to also include the Kanda name (like Balakanda ) along with the Section ##?

On page 7, under heading 'The Ramayana in an English Garb' it gives an overview of the Ramayana translation (that is, this is like a preface prior to all the Kandas). How can we deliver this?
I am not familiar with the text, so I can only answer in general terms, and I will probably butcher the names of things. :lol:

If the volumes on the Gutenberg texts are arbitrary (just how this publisher grouped things) what you could do is call the project "The Rāmāyana, Volume 1: Bālakānda" and the next one when it's started, "The Rāmāyana, Volume 2: Ayodhyākānda" etc. Then you could name the files ramayana1, ramayana2 etc. and say that for the book name, and just say the section ## for each section.

The preface can be included as section #0 in the first project. In your intro, you could call it the preface or "translator's introduction", such as "Preface of The Ramayana, volume 1: Balakanda". When setting up the project, add one more section to the number for this introduction. (If you're doing one file per section, and there are 77 sections, say that you need 78 sections total.)

gusha

Post by gusha » December 31st, 2020, 1:02 pm

Wow! Thank you so much for the useful suggestions.

Thanks.
Usha

gusha

Post by gusha » January 4th, 2021, 3:57 pm

Hi Tricia,

Happy New Year!

I have generated the template as per your recommendation and posted on the new launchpad forum. Is there anything else I need to do before it is acknowledged by a MC?

Thanks.
Usha

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 4th, 2021, 4:01 pm

No, that's it. I know we've been swamped with new projects the past few days. I'm thinking yours got lost in the flurry.

I'm up to my limit on MC projects, so I haven't set it up. If no one comes by in the next 24 hours or so, I'll MC it. :)

gusha

Post by gusha » January 4th, 2021, 4:27 pm

Thank you !!! As per your suggestion, I am also recording chapters for few other books in different categories to polish my recording skills.

Thanks.
Usha