[TRANSL. NOT PD] Journey to The West - Wu Cheng'en

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja » December 17th, 2020, 3:46 am

Is anybody aware of an English translation of Journey to the West that is in the public domain? The copy on my bookshelf wasn't published until some time in the 1940's. It's a project I would love to do or be a part of if there was a usable version out there.

Annie

CSCO

Post by CSCO » January 1st, 2021, 11:01 am

Hi,

The unabridged translations into English are very young.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_West#Notable_English-language_translations
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!

AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja » January 1st, 2021, 12:28 pm

That is such a pity.... Thank you for looking though!

CSCO

Post by CSCO » January 2nd, 2021, 1:37 am

Don't feel the pity. Tang Sanzang tried the journey to the West to take the Budda's scripures nine times. But he got eaten nine times by Sha Wujing. (This story is Tang Sanzang's the tenth atempt.) (Sandy's neckless is Tripitaka's nine skulls.) So, I can promise you you can enjoy the free audiobook in your next life as a human.
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » January 2nd, 2021, 6:59 am

If it's any consolation, Brewitt-Taylor's unabridged English translation of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms was published in 1925, though I'm seeing only the second volume available online at the moment.
Romance of the Three Kingdoms is acclaimed as one of the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature; it has a total of 800,000 words and nearly a thousand dramatic characters (mostly historical) in 120 chapters.
Anyone wants to BC a DR? :mrgreen:

Michael