[ADOPTED] Woman suffrage and politics by Carrie Chapman Catt 1923

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
soupy

Post by soupy » October 26th, 2020, 12:16 pm

Woman suffrage and politics : the inner story of the suffrage movement 1923
by Catt, Carrie Chapman, 1859-1947
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_Chapman_Catt

https://archive.org/details/womansuffragepol0000catt/mode/1up

How the woman suffrage movement began -- The averted triumph -- That adjective male -- The negro's hour -- Negro suffrage as a political necessity -- The first victory -- Politics after the war -- Two amendments and many women -- The woman's hour that never came -- The invisible enemy -- Special handicaps and hazards -- A new impulse -- Illinois : A turning point -- The story of Ohio -- The story of Iowa -- Woman suffrage by federal amendment -- The crises of 1916 -- The fighting forces -- The decisive battle -- More victories and more defeats -- The congress of the United States surrenders -- Campaigning for ratification -- Hard work for special sessions -- The legal tests begin -- Adding up the ratification column -- Last of all suffrage conventions -- The opposition grows grimmer -- The struggle for the thirty-sixth state -- The supreme court speaks -- Tennessee -- The states that did not ratify -- Conclusion -- Chronological record of the winning of woman suffrage by federal amendment

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

Help us finish
The Spirit of the Age. 3 sections left

My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » October 29th, 2020, 9:56 pm

Great suggestion, Craig. I plan to hopefully set this up as a collaborative project in the next day or two.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

soupy

Post by soupy » October 30th, 2020, 4:10 am

Great Jo :thumbs:

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

Help us finish
The Spirit of the Age. 3 sections left

My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » October 30th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Anyone who is interested in reading for this project can find the thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=83465
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman