Arthasastra (English Translation) by R. Shamasastry (Twitter request)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 13th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Twitter request:
Please make audiobook of INDIAN CLASSIC MASTER PIECE BY Greatest Statesman Chanakya.

KAUTILYA ARTHASHASTRA is centuries old work by greatest statesman Chanakya it is more knowledgeable than THE PRINCE.

It was rediscovered in 1905 by R. Shamasastry, who published it in 1909. The first English translation was published in 1915. The title Arthashastra is often translated to "the science of wealth" (अर्थ), but the book Arthashastra has a broader scope.
https://archive.org/details/Arthasastra_English_Translation

This link isn't clearly PD; we'd need to find a clearly PD edition.
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 13th, 2020, 3:57 pm

This one might work, though it is an earlier edition.

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/102384454
What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » October 13th, 2020, 4:01 pm

Which of course is restricted view for me and maybe for India as well :(

Anne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 13th, 2020, 4:29 pm

annise wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 4:01 pm
Which of course is restricted view for me and maybe for India as well :(

Anne
I wonder why. The translator died in 1944. (I don't think I'll ever get a hang of copyright law.)

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 13th, 2020, 4:52 pm

The person who requested it (and Wikipedia) state it was translated and published in 1915, so I'm not sure what that earlier edition is.

The earlier one is 180-ish pages. This one is 524 pages, but it's also limited view for me: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/012155922
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 13th, 2020, 5:23 pm

TriciaG wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 4:52 pm
The person who requested it (and Wikipedia) state it was translated and published in 1915, so I'm not sure what that earlier edition is.

The earlier one is 180-ish pages. This one is 524 pages, but it's also limited view for me: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/012155922
The 1915 date must be for the entire translation. I gather that the one I found is just a little less than one-half the complete work.

CSCO

Post by CSCO » October 14th, 2020, 2:41 am

Hi,
TriciaG wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 2:48 pm
Please make audiobook of INDIAN CLASSIC MASTER PIECE BY Greatest Statesman Chanakya.

KAUTILYA ARTHASHASTRA is centuries old work by greatest statesman Chanakya it is more knowledgeable than THE PRINCE.

It was rediscovered in 1905 by R. Shamasastry, who published it in 1909. The first English translation was published in 1915. The title Arthashastra is often translated to "the science of wealth" (अर्थ), but the book Arthashastra has a broader scope.

I have read the paper book in Japanese translation. It's カウティリヤ's 実利論. The book title is very famous because Max Weber wrote a few words about it that Arthashastra is much more practical (or much harder, I don't know which, because I've forgotten) than Machiavelli's The Prince. Yes, it is very practical. Because it is full of tricks to deceive his people and it has no philosophy as a ruler. It's all tricks. And a recorder isn't a ruler, maybe. The only philosophy it has is that the Fish Rule (the law of the jungle) rules if there is no ruler. (I'm afraid the recorder(s) would get bored in the middle of the rocording... Note that the book looks like a medical prescription.)
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!