What books do you want to be read?

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
FelicityMafua44

Post by FelicityMafua44 » October 9th, 2020, 4:31 pm

Hey, I'm new here and am wondering what books/other works you want to be read or read again. Any popular classic you would love to here a new/better rendition of?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » October 9th, 2020, 4:34 pm

LV never produces "better" versions of anything - the word to use is different :D
Maybe when you are ready to do a solo you will have found an author you like with a book we haven't recorded yet. And if there is one thing I would pass onto all readers - read things you love or things you feel expand our catalogue - it makes for a better reading because listeners can tell from the reading :D
It's a lot of work reading a whole book - it does seem easy I know.

Anne

FelicityMafua44

Post by FelicityMafua44 » October 9th, 2020, 4:53 pm

Haha, yea I meant 'better' as in maybe it was incomplete or not to you're liking- anyway, thank you!

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » October 9th, 2020, 8:16 pm

You can always comb through this Suggestions forum to find something that hasn't been done before. There's a little bit of something for everyone.

But it's a good idea to start out with a few sections in a group project before setting out on your own. It helps you to know what you're getting yourself into. :) I hope you have fun here!

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » October 9th, 2020, 8:55 pm

I suppose what I should have said in answer to "books/other works you want to be read" the various "readers wanted" forums are full of projects who all want readers and will welcome you and help to get started :D So you don't need to find new projects just yet - there is a great variety of projects waiting for your claim

Anne

FelicityMafua44

Post by FelicityMafua44 » October 10th, 2020, 9:12 am

Thanks you guys, but with so many audiobooks out for multiple novels, what are the chances of my audiobook being heard at all?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 10th, 2020, 9:38 am

Who knows? We record 'em; we don't worry too much about how many hear 'em. 8-)

I think a book would get more listeners if it were not a multiple version, but one by perhaps a well-known author but not yet recorded. A "version 4" of something may be overlooked, but a listener deciding to listen to all of a certain author's works will download a "version 1" of something more obscure by that author.
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons

cowolter

Post by cowolter » November 3rd, 2020, 7:29 am

The Lemony Snicket Series read by David Handler (the author). Most of of them are read by Tim Currey and Handler's reading pales by comparison (for just 3 or so books). He's a gifted story teller, but sometimes the author isn't the best performer.

maxgal

Post by maxgal » November 3rd, 2020, 9:02 am

TriciaG wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 9:38 am
Who knows? We record 'em; we don't worry too much about how many hear 'em. 8-)

I think a book would get more listeners if it were not a multiple version, but one by perhaps a well-known author but not yet recorded. A "version 4" of something may be overlooked, but a listener deciding to listen to all of a certain author's works will download a "version 1" of something more obscure by that author.
...on the other hand... (if I may barge in on the discussion)
Having multiple versions to choose from can be a very good thing for the listener.
One reader might grate on your ears; while another can seem heaven-sent.
It's all so individual. :wink:
Louise
"every little breeze..."

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » November 3rd, 2020, 9:21 am

True. But my post was in response to this:
FelicityMafua44 wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 9:12 am
Thanks you guys, but with so many audiobooks out for multiple novels, what are the chances of my audiobook being heard at all?
If you are going for sheer number of listeners, a Version 1 (and only 1) would probably get you more listeners over a Version 4. However, yes - a Version 4 will have is appreciative listeners as well. :)
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons

maxgal

Post by maxgal » November 3rd, 2020, 9:28 am

TriciaG wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 9:21 am
FelicityMafua44 wrote:
If you are going for sheer number of listeners, a Version 1 (and only 1) would probably get you more listeners over a Version 4. However, yes - a Version 4 will have is appreciative listeners as well. :)
True to you too! 8-)
Louise
"every little breeze..."

maxgal

Post by maxgal » November 3rd, 2020, 10:29 am

maxgal wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 9:28 am
TriciaG wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 9:21 am
FelicityMafua44 wrote:
True to you too! 8-)
O, and hey Tricia... I'm starting to follow in your talented footsteps, with Stephen Leacock's nonsense. :mrgreen:
Louise
"every little breeze..."

JamesJenkins

Post by JamesJenkins » November 4th, 2020, 9:01 am

FelicityMafua44 wrote:
However, yes - a Version 4 will have is appreciative listeners as well. :)
As a new readier, when selecting a version to read with multiple choices. I will often pick the highest number version, on the premise that is a newer recording on newer hardware and software, presumably with increased quality.

On the other hand, the voice(s) you like to listen to is personal preference. It is easy to sample listen to different versions before deciding which to download.

If your voice, gender, accent, tempo are significantly different then existing versions, it can provide the listener with a substantially different option.
This post uses 100% recycled electrons

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » November 4th, 2020, 12:55 pm

All that the version number, when there is one, is that there are more than 1 version
If you base your choice on "view" numbers then the first read version will have been there longer and will have more views than 1 has been there a month.
If there is more than one version, it just means someone wanted to do another version - and maybe the equipment etc is better and maybe it's not - there is no way of knowing.
I've had listeners assume that the version number is our rating system - the lower the version the better the recording, and I've had listeners assume that say version 4 is the best because 1, 2 and 3 were awful. None of this is true - we have multiple versions because someone wanted to read them, "we" don't tell readers what they have to read ever.

Anne