Journal of George Fox

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
rachel6677

Post by rachel6677 »

I would be very, very excited if the Journal of George Fox (founder of Quakerism) could be a Librivox project. There is a version with updated wording called the Armistead/Ellwood edition which I think would be the best version. I think it would be downloaded/streamed by many people around the world.
I am a newbie and recently attempted to record the first third of a different Quakerism book, but I really did not like the audio result. So I would probably not prefer to read myself on any project, for now.
Please discuss with me if you have any interest.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!
Do you happen to have a link to the edition text you're talking about? (Or, if that was published in 1925 or later, an older edition?)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I wonder if you would find this source of interest. https://archive.org/details/passagesfromlife00foxg_1/page/n5/mode/2up

It is a selection only of the journal, but looks rather comprehensive for all of that. It is just about the right length for a group project here at LibriVox. The complete two volume set of the journal would be a bit of an undertaking, even daunting, but it is still a possibility of course.
rachel6677

Post by rachel6677 »

I mentioned above that the Armistead/Ellwood version had updated wording, but that was a misunderstanding-- it does not have updated wording. However it is available here:
https://www.friendslibrary.com/george-fox/journal
rachel6677

Post by rachel6677 »

KevinS wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 12:54 pm I wonder if you would find this source of interest. https://archive.org/details/passagesfromlife00foxg_1/page/n5/mode/2up

It is a selection only of the journal, but looks rather comprehensive for all of that. It is just about the right length for a group project here at LibriVox. The complete two volume set of the journal would be a bit of an undertaking, even daunting, but it is still a possibility of course.
Yes I think this would be great!!!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

rachel6677 wrote: September 15th, 2020, 10:38 am
KevinS wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 12:54 pm I wonder if you would find this source of interest. https://archive.org/details/passagesfromlife00foxg_1/page/n5/mode/2up

Yes I think this would be great!!!
I say go for it. It's a big project, but there are many here at LibriVox who would be interested. (At least I think so.)

I'll have to see what the admins say---though I don't know if they speak as a group---but I could BC the project while teaching to how this is done. Then, if approved, you could take over on your own. (And I will step in and record a section or two. Or three.)

What do you think?

Have you recorded any sections for other projects yet. I think that would be MOST advisable before our getting started so that you get a feel for how things work here.
kathan54

Post by kathan54 »

Very interested in this. Is this project up and running?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

No, no one has jumped in to coordinate it. It does certainly look interesting. It would be a difficult book to organize, though, mainly because there are no chapter or section breaks built in to the text. So a BC would need to comb through the book and choose where to make section breaks. It would be easier for a soloist, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first-time solo.

To find group projects that are already up and running, you should take a look in any of our "Readers Wanted" forums. Plenty to choose from there! :D
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

kathan54 wrote: October 31st, 2020, 11:12 am Very interested in this. Is this project up and running?
I don't think we've heard anything as yet.