I'd like to read Toynbee's A Study of History

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
pnewtman

Post by pnewtman »

I have contacted both Oxford University Press and Thames & Hudson Ltd to inquire about the copyrights of the book. I am also considering to do a recording of his other book called 'Turkey: A Past and a Future'. I am not sure about the copyrights of the first one but the latter should be freely available I believe. If there are no restrictions, I would like to start recording them right away.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Here is the second text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10145. Looks like a great project!

It's a bit lengthy for a newcomer, just so you'll be advised. Perhaps this would best be a group project?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!
A Study of History is a 12-volume universal history by the British historian Arnold J. Toynbee, published in 1934–61.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Study_of_History

Due to its recent publication date, the earliest volume won't be PD in the USA until January 1, 2030. The one published in 1961 won't be PD until Jan 1, 2057.

The entire series is still under copyright in other countries, also, as the author died in 1975. It'll be PD in the UK and Europe (and other Life+70 countries) on Jan 1, 2046.

The one on Turkey is PD in the USA, but also will have problems for readers that aren't in the USA due to the death date of the author. Other than that, it'd be a good one for a new soloist since it's only about 20,000 words, or 2 hours (plus or minus) of finished recording.

Please do finish up with your 1-minute test before starting this. I see there are some technical issues to fix on it. :) We recommend people record a section or two in a group project, to get their feet wet before taking on a solo, because you need to know a little how we do things around here. When ready, read this post about starting a solo project: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart