Francis Marion Schirp Bibliography (1 Title)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
LectorRecitator

Post by LectorRecitator » May 30th, 2020, 11:33 am

FRANCIS MARION SCHIRP (1869–1941)

A Short History Of Germany: From The Earliest Times To The Year 1913 (1915)

📖 Divided in short chapters; Ideal for novice readers.

ℹ️ "A concise survey of the history of Germany will, no doubt, be welcomed by many Americans, both those of German descent and affiliation and the many who are anxious to learn more about the past of the Teutons' Fatherland.

The present little volume is based on Guggenberger's "History of the Christian Era", which has been freely made use of by permission of the publisher. The chapters on the Reformation period are a summary of Johannes Janssen's masterly treatment of those times."
(Preface)

https://archive.org/details/shorthistoryofge00schi/page/n5/mode/2up
Last edited by LectorRecitator on September 21st, 2020, 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

laughingcat302

Post by laughingcat302 » August 12th, 2020, 2:26 pm

I am about to finish "A Short History of Russia" in about a week, and I'm interested in also recording this similar project about Germany's history.

Let me know!

Natalie/VioletBleu
Violet Bleu
"She believed she could, so she did"--R.S. Grey

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » August 12th, 2020, 9:27 pm

You are welcome to take any of these suggestions. They are posted here to give readers some ideas that they may not have seen before. You can lay a claim to it (although that it not required), but others are also welcome to have their own version of any book. Once you have set up the project, you can post here to say that it is launched, but there is no requirement that you do that either. If you want it, I say just go for it! :D
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » August 13th, 2020, 7:19 pm

I would just recommend browsing the book beforehand and making sure you're comfortable with its ideological slants. In particular, Johannes Janssen is known for not being, let's say, entirely neutral. Sample assessment of the Reformation:

https://archive.org/details/shorthistoryofge00schi/page/142/mode/2up

Michael

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » August 13th, 2020, 9:56 pm

I looked the author up on Wikipedia - not much information , just 1 sentence.
This author wrote articles for the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia, and the list on this page is complete.
so he is unlikely to be pro reformation. :D

Anne