[ADOPTED] Cambridge Modern and Medieval History

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » March 23rd, 2020, 6:40 pm

As we have some collaborative history projects wrapping up, I wonder if there would be interest in tackling The Cambridge Modern History, a 12+ volume work published from 1901 to 1912, and covering (mostly Western) history from the Renaissance up to that point. There's also a sequel (technically, prequel!) called The Cambridge Medieval History, about half of which is already in PD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cambridge_Modern_History
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cambridge_Medieval_History

It sounds like the kind of impossibly ambitious undertaking LV just might be up to.

Michael
Last edited by Kazbek on March 30th, 2020, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » March 29th, 2020, 10:56 am

*sighs*

Why oh why do I enjoy this kind of project so much? :roll:
Leni
=================

Come read about flowers and plants in Pliny's Natural History! :D

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » March 29th, 2020, 11:29 am

Leni wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 10:56 am
*sighs*

That sounds like at least a maybe. :D I'm considering taking this on as my second collaborative BC effort. Would that be a collection, given that individual chapters are contributed by different authors? For example, here's vol. 1:

https://archive.org/details/cambridgemodernh01acto_0/page/n5/mode/2up

Michael

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » March 29th, 2020, 11:38 am

Kazbek wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 11:29 am
Leni wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 10:56 am
*sighs*

That sounds like at least a maybe. :D I'm considering taking this on as my second collaborative BC effort. Would that be a collection, given that individual chapters are contributed by different authors? For example, here's vol. 1:

https://archive.org/details/cambridgemodernh01acto_0/page/n5/mode/2up

Michael
I was looking at it myself and wondering the same... :hmm: Personally, as a scholar, I think it is fair to give credit where credit is due. On the other hand, from a LV listener point of view, I wonder if anyone would be interested in one of these chapters as a stand alone text, because if we treat is as a collection, so that each author is searchable, each chapter will appear in the catalog separately, and might just be annoying because it will bloat up searches. So I was thinking of maybe giving the credit in the reading and as part of the title of each section, but not separately as metadata. Does that make sense?
Leni
=================

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » March 29th, 2020, 11:45 am

I think that makes sense. Also, the project was conceived as a unified collaborative work and not a compilation.

Michael

KevinS

Post by KevinS » March 29th, 2020, 12:14 pm

I'm game, but I will underline my interest in modern history (at least at present.) I would be delighted if we went backwards in time as did White's Merlyn or Fitzgerald's Mr. Button.

Of course, the brave and foolish thing to do would be to launch all volumes at once and let people read according to their own interests. I am both brave and foolish, but I also eat too much, or put too much on my plate (which is essentially the same thing.)

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » March 29th, 2020, 12:26 pm

Well, we could do it in forward and reverse chronological order in parallel, to accommodate readers of different interests... Here's vol. 12, the last volume of narrative text:

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.529903/page/n5/mode/2up

Michael

KevinS

Post by KevinS » March 29th, 2020, 12:30 pm

Kazbek wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 12:26 pm
Well, we could do it in forward and reverse chronological order in parallel, to accommodate readers of different interests... Here's vol. 12, the last volume of narrative text:

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.529903/page/n5/mode/2up

Michael
Michael, if I may address you so, are you willing to serve as a BC?

I would be happy to serve as BC or as one of the BCs. Much depends, I think, on Leni. She is the only one wild enough to sponsor this kind of vain pursuit, perhaps. Let's jump, I say, and check on our parachutes later!

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » March 29th, 2020, 12:37 pm

I don't mind doing some BC work. Since you're willing as well, we could split the duties, me taking on the forward direction and you the reverse.

Or I bet you could just do the whole series as a solo project before the rest of us have time to blink... :wink:

Michael

KevinS

Post by KevinS » March 29th, 2020, 12:45 pm

Kazbek wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 12:37 pm
I don't mind doing some BC work. Since you're willing as well, we could split the duties, me taking on the forward direction and you the reverse.

Or I bet you could just do the whole series as a solo project before the rest of us have time to blink... :wink:

Michael
Haha! What do they say in the movies? "You go ahead... I'll be right behind you."

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » March 29th, 2020, 12:47 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would be happy to MC. In general we do not suggest putting multiple volumes of the same work up at the same time simply because certain kinds of works tend to attract a certain pool of readers, so, if there are too many of those at the same time, they divide the attention and each one takes longer. I think though that having the first and the last volume could be okay, since they are quite different.

ETA: Or we could do one of Modern, one of Medieval? I don't mind either way, since my interest kinda spans from Antiquity to the 18th century...
Leni
=================

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » March 29th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Great! I'm really excited to see this project starting. At some future point we can discuss whether the two directions have sufficiently converged to keep only one volume open.

Shall we use this thread to establish the layout for consistency -- book titles, section titles, etc?

Michael

KevinS

Post by KevinS » March 29th, 2020, 12:58 pm

I'm really game for anything you two decide. BC alone is not really all that taxing so I'm happy to do that and I can PL a bit if we don't pick up someone for that task. I'm good for some recording, of course, but nothing with too much French!

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » March 29th, 2020, 2:04 pm

Ok, let's try a couple of sample books and chapters:

The Cambridge Modern History. Volume I, The Renaissance by Various
Chapter I, The Age of Discovery by E.J. Payne

The Cambridge Modern History. Volume XII, The Latest Age by Various
Chapter I, Modern Europe by Stanley Leathes

The editors can be listed in the book descriptions. In principle, we could use a list of authors and editors instead of Various, but this would be a very long list.

Many of the chapters are too long to fit into a single section, so we can use "section" in the intros/outros.

Michael

KevinS

Post by KevinS » March 29th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Okay, I'm starting to plan for Medieval History Volume I. I'll put up a launch when possible, but that does not mean I'm no longer open to suggestions. My idea is to break down each chapter into roughly 30-minute segments. Maybe that's not ideal in terms of scholarship or textual integrity, but I think it is a near necessity if we are to attract the average recorder-volunteer.