Two short stories by Jules Verne and Hg Wells not recorded

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
michaelwy

Post by michaelwy »

HG. Wells wrote The Time Machine, but that is a novel. Some people might want a shorter version. Why not record The Chronic Argonauts, the original short story which was his first draft for the novel?

Jules Verne wrote 5 Weeks in a balloon, but that is a long novel. Why not record the short story "A Drama in the air" which was his first sketch of that novel?

Both these stories are PD and available online.
rafeball

Post by rafeball »

I'd like to record The Chronic Argonauts, but unfortunately I can't find an online copy of the text that would meet the LibriVox PD requirements.

Project Gutenberg and Hathitrust do not appear to have the text, and whilst archive.org has a copy of what is marked as the 1920 edition of Wells' "Revised Novels" that contains The Chronic Argonauts, it is missing the page with the publication data. Someone's added a 'homemade' title page, and also the preface from the 1931 edition, but looking at the scans of the pages I think they've tacked that on as it looks very different from the main scans. Unless LibriVox heads more knowledgeable than mine can 'sign off' that version as usable and that we can take the archive.org date of 1920 as accurate, or someone can find another usable source, I'll have to let it lie :-(

P.S. Project Gutenberg Australia has it (http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0602911h.html), but I don't believe that's an acceptable source for LibriVox?
michaelwy

Post by michaelwy »

rafeball wrote: January 16th, 2020, 11:58 am I'd like to record The Chronic Argonauts, but unfortunately I can't find an online copy of the text that would meet the LibriVox PD requirements.

Project Gutenberg and Hathitrust do not appear to have the text, and whilst archive.org has a copy of what is marked as the 1920 edition of Wells' "Revised Novels" that contains The Chronic Argonauts, it is missing the page with the publication data. Someone's added a 'homemade' title page, and also the preface from the 1931 edition, but looking at the scans of the pages I think they've tacked that on as it looks very different from the main scans. Unless LibriVox heads more knowledgeable than mine can 'sign off' that version as usable and that we can take the archive.org date of 1920 as accurate, or someone can find another usable source, I'll have to let it lie :-(

P.S. Project Gutenberg Australia has it (http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0602911h.html), but I don't believe that's an acceptable source for LibriVox?
Here is a PD version of "the flying argonauts" by H. G. Wells

https://archive.org/details/philmaysillust1895maypuoft/page/44/mode/2up
rafeball

Post by rafeball »

Good find, but unfortunately that’s a different story - Wells was clearly a fan of Argonauts ;-)
cgamergalvan

Post by cgamergalvan »

I can read it
cgamergalvan

Post by cgamergalvan »

The chronic Argonauts I found a copy
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

cgamergalvan wrote: August 14th, 2020, 5:35 pm The chronic Argonauts I found a copy
Got a link?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Sorry for the duplicate post
Last edited by pschempf on August 15th, 2020, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

I think Tricia has trouble accessing Google Books from Canada, but at the bottom of the linked pages it has this statement -

"Although the complete textworks of the previous submission are currently in the public domain, all
formatting of these pages is copyright © 2012 by Knightraven Studios LLC. "

That may be an issue for LibriVox public domain requirement.
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Here's the HTML link, which doesn't force you into the PDF: https://wwwpulpheroesmorethanmortal.webs.com/WebeBooks/Chronic_Argonauts_HG_Wells.htm
The page formatting copyright is okay, but this source doesn't give a clear statement on where they got the text.

I think this one would work for us, but I'd like confirmation from another MC first before giving a green light:
http://www.colemanzone.com/Time_Machine_Project/chronic.htm
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
DaisyMae65

Post by DaisyMae65 »

Id like to read one