Follies of a Day, or The Marriage of Figaro 5-act play in English

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » November 18th, 2019, 6:38 am

This is regarding the 1785 English translation by Thomas Holcroft of Pierre-Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais' 1784 French work. (The full 5-act play, not the shortened 3-act version or opera libretto)

Beaumarchais' play was integral with the history of the French Revolution, and Holcroft's involvement holds its own batch of entertainment - basically, he and a Fench friend pirated the play in the early days of the French production, because it wasn't published even in French (can you blame Beaumarchais for that? The thing landed him in some extremely hot water!) Holcroft openly admits to his method of obtainment right in the preface, rather braggingly, actually.

Holcroft's original 5-act version was published in 1785, so it has a wide PD scope for LV readers. However, the only links we can use are full-view scans full of the archaic long s, making for major reading frustrations.

Therefore, I've put this book in at Distributed Proofreaders and secured a project manager there. It is on its way through their process to get a book put out through Project Gutenberg. So. . .

Look for this super fun and historically significant play to be offered here in the 8-12 month range! I will post it as soon as it's available.
~Lynette in Colorado, USA
My Sections

Help us finish these projects:
Afghan Wars 1878-80 Christmas n Christmas Lore
DR with open roles -
Count of Monte Cristo Jack & Jill Belinda The Bat!