Two books by Anna Katharine Green

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Torquill

Post by Torquill » October 20th, 2019, 2:55 pm

I've recently become a fan of Anna Katharine Green, and discovered that two books in her best-known series are missing from both Librivox and Project Gutenberg:

Behind Closed Doors (1888)
A Matter Of Millions (1891)

Both of these are available in text form on Project Gutenberg Australia, though not the U.S. site. (Behind Closed Doors) (A Matter Of Millions)

Having combed the U.S. Project Gutenberg site, I can't see any easy way to submit these ebooks for consideration, even though (as far as I can tell) they meet the criteria for the public domain in the United States. Having been published, presumably inside the country, well before 1923, I don't know of any circumstance in which unedited texts of them could still be under copyright. Obviously, I would also like them to be open for reading for Librivox. Having the Australian versions already available makes things a great deal easier, so long as there is no hidden reason why they couldn't be used by PG or LV.

I welcome any advice or feedback on how to add these two novels to the rest of the series currently in PG, or what barriers there might be to doing so. If a reader would be needed for LV, I would be willing to work on it.

Thanks!
--Sam

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » October 20th, 2019, 3:17 pm

To have them accepted by PG (usa) you would need a hard copy or a scan. PG au makes no guarantee about the edition used, USA copyright laws are not their concern. You say ,
I don't know of any circumstance in which unedited texts of them could still be under copyright
and that is probably true, but the point is - how do we know it is unedited ? I'd agree that one of them certainly looks like an early edition with the cover and illustrations but there is no guarantee that the text has been correctly transcribed . So no to those - have you tried Archive or Haithi to see if they have a scan ?

Anne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 20th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Torquill wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 2:55 pm
I've recently become a fan of Anna Katharine Green, and discovered that two books in her best-known series are missing from both Librivox and Project Gutenberg:

Behind Closed Doors (1888)
A Matter Of Millions (1891)

Both of these are available in text form on Project Gutenberg Australia, though not the U.S. site. (Behind Closed Doors) (A Matter Of Millions)

Having combed the U.S. Project Gutenberg site, I can't see any easy way to submit these ebooks for consideration, even though (as far as I can tell) they meet the criteria for the public domain in the United States. Having been published, presumably inside the country, well before 1923, I don't know of any circumstance in which unedited texts of them could still be under copyright. Obviously, I would also like them to be open for reading for Librivox. Having the Australian versions already available makes things a great deal easier, so long as there is no hidden reason why they couldn't be used by PG or LV.

I welcome any advice or feedback on how to add these two novels to the rest of the series currently in PG, or what barriers there might be to doing so. If a reader would be needed for LV, I would be willing to work on it.

Thanks!
--Sam
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Fe09EFdA16O_uzeaRt0YWnpZI71TNaeY

This is a link to A Matter of Millions now on my Google Drive. (Let me know if you have trouble accessing it.)

I'll leave it in place for a while to see if anyone is interested in getting it recorded.

I don't think there is a question about it being PD everywhere.
"E agora, José?"

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » October 20th, 2019, 3:55 pm

That's a valid scan. Does google play give you the right to download it and upload it to Archive ?

Anne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 20th, 2019, 3:59 pm

annise wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 3:55 pm
That's a valid scan. Does google play give you the right to download it and upload it to Archive ?

Anne
That's a very good question to which I don't have an answer. I'll see what I can find out!
"E agora, José?"

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 20th, 2019, 4:12 pm

annise wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Anne
At first glance, I think it may be possible, under specific conditions (which are not clearly specified.)

This may take me some time to figure out. (I should be a lawyer!)

There seems to be no problem with my sharing free PD material from my own device though.
"E agora, José?"

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 20th, 2019, 6:33 pm

I think the problem is that Google full view is not available for all nations. (Perhaps I'm wrong in that it is the problem here specifically.)
"E agora, José?"

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj » October 20th, 2019, 7:03 pm

Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » October 20th, 2019, 7:45 pm

k5hsj wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 7:03 pm
A Matter of Millions
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433112001247&view=1up&seq=9

Behind Closed Doors
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uva.x001307832&view=1up&seq=7

Will this work for you?

Winston
That's perfect - they check PD carefully

Anne

Torquill

Post by Torquill » October 20th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback; the bit about a scan or hard-copy was one I hadn't known about. Still, it looks as though resourceful folks have found an available scan (or two).

For what it's worth, there are editions in print of both of these books, from a publisher (Pranava Books) which makes a point of emphasizing that absolutely no changes were made to the text, and in fact that some imperfections may result. I suppose, without the scans linked to above, my best bet would be to buy such a hard-copy and compare it to the PGA version, make whatever changes were necessary to bring it in line, and then submit it as a new request. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

--Sam

Torquill

Post by Torquill » October 20th, 2019, 8:43 pm

So what is the next thing to do? Submit the scans to PG?

--Sam

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 20th, 2019, 8:51 pm

Torquill wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 8:43 pm
So what is the next thing to do? Submit the scans to PG?

--Sam
I wish I knew more about PG, but it seems their team could work from the scans to which some have linked here. For their part, I imagine that they are as hard-pressed to get work done as anyone and that these titles may already be on their 'to do' list.
"E agora, José?"

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » October 20th, 2019, 9:25 pm

It's possible to use the scans from Archive and Haithi as long as the date is on the scan, it doesn't need to wait till PG has made a text file.
As for the facsimile neither PG or LV can or does accept them, there are all sorts of reasons why, ranging from who knows if their word is right to I'm sure they hold some rights on the work they put in to make the facsimile. And we do not have the legal teams to check all these things out.

Torquill

Post by Torquill » October 20th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Very helpful, thank you.

So there are two processes here:
- PG needs fresh scan images and OCR for a submission to them, which requires access to a book and the time to scan/OCR/proofread/etc.
- LV can work from scans (from GBooks or a mirror), as the publishing date is enough; LV is not dependent on PG having it on their server.

What I'm taking from this is that if I want to initiate a new project on LV to get these books read, I just need to provide links to the Google scans, and we're good to go. Is that correct? (I hope so, as that's a much lower bar than the PG process would be... :) )

--Sam