History of the Medici Family

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 17th, 2019, 4:25 pm

I've been looking for a history of the influential Florentine family. I think I've found one!

The Medici, by Colonel G. F. Young (1846-1919)
in 2 volumes

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000379523/

I am unable to find/access this work on Google Books. Archive has editions copyrighted 1930; I don't know if I trust them to be PD, but this edition was published in 1923, so it's clearly PD.

Without the appendices, volume 1 is 514 pages. It runs up to 1537 and 3 siblings. Volume 2 is 523 pages without appendices, and starts with the 4th sibling, Catherine de Medici, and goes to 1743 with the death of the last of the line.

Lots of work on this one.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 17th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Do you not trust this edition of Volume 1? https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.173815/page/n7
"E agora, José?"

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 17th, 2019, 4:56 pm

That one would be OK, except the view zooms in to the text - if there's one line on a page, it's zoomed in huge! Start paging through it from the very beginning, and you'll see what I mean. :shock:

BTW, a review from Goodreads to whet someone's appetite:
A combination of appropriate style and interesting subject makes this the finest history book of its kind. It adopts colorful language and takes liberties in outlining the broad narrative arcs that define the trajectory of the Medici family's rise from obscurity, their failings and eventual ruin, the intersection of their history with the major events of Europe, their talents and preoccupations and how these would ultimately define their legacy. The book has taken me through eleven generations of rulers and across three centuries, giving me a wealth of case studies on the follies and genius of rulers, administrators, military men, politicians and governors.

The first chapters focus on their role in bringing about the Renaissance. The first few hundred pages of the book succeed in bringing to life that momentous episode in European history, how Florence and the Medici's became the center of that miraculous impetus that would eventually elevate the intellectual and artistic appetite of the peoples of the continent. It then tells of the intrigues of the Medici popes and then, after, those of the controversial Medici consort to the French king. And for the last arc, it describes the successes in the tyranny of the first Medici Archduke and his successors who would rule through the family's decline.

Its style is quasi-omniscient, something proper to fiction. But despite my misgivings about the objectivity and accuracy of the facts therein presented, I believe it all works to make the history feel more complete and coherent; digestible, thus, enjoyable. It would serve that and perhaps, also, to edify and to illuminate by granting good and bad examples in the art of ruling. The secondary effect is to highlight the fascinating connections between commerce, wealth, politics, art, and religion in the context of 15th to 18th century Europe. (Art and religion, especially.)

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 17th, 2019, 4:57 pm

I'm okay with the weird scanning technique. It's not ideal, but it works.

Also, I can get the free ebook from Google Play. I don't know if it can be downloaded yet. I'll try.
"E agora, José?"

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 17th, 2019, 4:58 pm

I would DEFINITELY contribute to this reading, unless you want it all to yourself.
"E agora, José?"

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 17th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Yes, I can download it to a PDF. 1911 edition. Volume 1 (so far) Excellent scan from what I can see.
"E agora, José?"

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 17th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Thanks for looking at Google Books. Perhaps it's unavailable because I'm in Canada. That happens a lot.

This one would definitely be a group recording, if I BC it. However, if one of our wonderful audio-biographers wanted to take it on as a solo (pnagami, I'm looking at you!), I wouldn't complain. ;)

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 17th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Vol. 2 is available also. I've already downloaded them.
"E agora, José?"

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 17th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Great!

Would you please post the text source links of the volumes you downloaded? That way others can download if they choose, and we can use the links in the projects.

As to what to do with the PDFs, maybe upload them to Google Drive or something, so they can be shared with those of us who can't download them ourselves? :hmm:

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 17th, 2019, 5:16 pm

TriciaG wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 5:11 pm
Great!

Would you please post the text source links of the volumes you downloaded? That way others can download if they choose, and we can use the links in the projects.

As to what to do with the PDFs, maybe upload them to Google Drive or something, so they can be shared with those of us who can't download them ourselves? :hmm:
Hahaha! You must think more of my abilities than do I.

I will try.
"E agora, José?"

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 17th, 2019, 5:22 pm

https://books.google.com/books?id=MgIEAAAAYAAJ

[incorrect link]https://books.google.com/books?id=QA0haOEBCToC[incorrect link]

https://books.google.com/books?id=iQw7AQAAMAAJ

So, this is where I found them. I am able to read them because I belong to Google Play. (Google Play was free of charge when I joined. I have no idea what is involved today.) By reading them (well, opening them to read) the books are put into my library. From my library I am able to download them.

Someone told me about Google Drive, but I do not yet know how to use it as a sharing platform.
Last edited by KevinS on October 17th, 2019, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"E agora, José?"

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 17th, 2019, 5:30 pm

That second one, going from the page count at the bottom of the info page, seems to be truncated. :hmm:
Someone told me about Google Drive, but I do not yet know how to use it as a sharing platform.
* Upload the item to Google Drive
* In your file list, right click on the item and select "Share"
* In the upper right corner of the window that comes up, click "Get Shareable Link"
* Copy the link that is generated, click "Done", and paste that link wherever you want to share it. :)

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 17th, 2019, 5:33 pm

TriciaG wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 5:30 pm
That second one, going from the page count at the bottom of the info page, seems to be truncated. :hmm:
* Upload the item to Google Drive
* In your file list, right click on the item and select "Share"
* In the upper right corner of the window that comes up, click "Get Shareable Link"
* Copy the link that is generated, click "Done", and paste that link wherever you want to share it. :)
I'm an idiot. I gave the wrong link for the second volume. I'll correct it.

And I'll try to figure out Google Drive. (I don't even know where it is.)
"E agora, José?"

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 17th, 2019, 5:36 pm

KevinS wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 5:33 pm
And I'll try to figure out Google Drive. (I don't even know where it is.)
Try here: https://drive.google.com/drive/my-drive

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 17th, 2019, 5:48 pm

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1747kIoMVK4mFaFOW3H3zgCWeZI3RlrMj

This is the link to Volume 1. (I hope it works.) I'll keep the volume available for awhile so that folks can see it.
"E agora, José?"