Marxist feminism: Silvia Federici's Caliban and the Witch

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » September 20th, 2019, 7:47 am

Hi, I'd really like to record this book.

The author and publisher have made it clear that the text can be used freely with their consent, which I've requested. I'm waiting to hear back from the author and I'm happy to forward that consent to whomever needs to see it.

From the AKPress page: "Caliban and the Witch is a history of the body in the transition to capitalism. Moving from the peasant revolts of the late Middle Ages to the witch-hunts and the rise of mechanical philosophy, Federici investigates the capitalist rationalization of social reproduction. She shows how the battle against the rebel body and mind are essential conditions for the development of labor power and self-ownership, two central principles of modern social organization.
"In the neoliberal era of postmodernism, the proletariat is whited-out from the pages of history. Federici recovers its historical substance by telling its story starting at the beginning, with the throes of its birth. This is a book of remembrance, of a trauma burned into the body of women, which left a scar on humanity's memory as deep and painful as those caused by famine, slaughter, and enslavement." —Peter Linebaugh

https://www.akpress.org/calibanandthewitch.html

KevinS

Post by KevinS » September 20th, 2019, 7:59 am

Hi. This certainly looks like an interesting read, but I suspect you will be told to find another site for its distribution. An admin is the one who can tell you about the LibriVox policies better than can I.

My suspicion is that when permissions can be granted, they can be withdrawn. LivriVox would not want to have something in its catalog that is not unconditionally in the public domain.
"E agora, José?"

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » September 20th, 2019, 8:05 am

If the author and publisher are both willing to release this under a CC0 license (NO rights reserved - anyone can do ANYTHING with the text, including modifying it or selling it themselves, no attribution or anything else required), then it would be okay. But I'm 99.999% sure that they wouldn't go for that. They'd be releasing all their rights, including any possible income.

So I highly doubt we'd be able to record this at LibriVox.

You could, however, record it on your own and upload it to Archive.org under a more appropriate CC license rather than CC0.

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » September 20th, 2019, 8:22 am

TriciaG wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 8:05 am
If the author and publisher are both willing to release this under a CC0 license (NO rights reserved - anyone can do ANYTHING with the text, including modifying it or selling it themselves, no attribution or anything else required), then it would be okay. But I'm 99.999% sure that they wouldn't go for that. They'd be releasing all their rights, including any possible income.
Tricia - thanks. I've sent along a clarification request to the publisher re: CC0, and we'll see what he and Ms. Federici come back with.

In the meantime, I've found another book soundly within the public domain :-)