[ANSWERED] Book from own library

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
cstew64

Post by cstew64 » August 27th, 2019, 9:52 am

Good afternoon all,

Question; I have some great books, perhaps not the most well known, in my library. If I wish to record them for the LibriVox domain, where do I send a scan of the copyright page and whom do I contact for approval?

Thanks and Have a great day,

cstew64

schrm

Post by schrm » August 27th, 2019, 9:59 am

cstew64 wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 9:52 am
Good afternoon all,

Question; I have some great books, perhaps not the most well known, in my library. If I wish to record them for the LibriVox domain, where do I send a scan of the copyright page and whom do I contact for approval?

cstew64
it's easy: make a launchpad posting, and in the first answer, link to the image. a mc will answer :-)

for uploading the image you can use an image host like imgur, or even archive.org

/reader/12275

wunderwelten viewtopic.php?f=60&t=70793
sammlung prosa viewtopic.php?f=60&t=71431

sing "The First Nowell" viewtopic.php?f=22&t=75979

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 27th, 2019, 10:03 am

cstew64 wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 9:52 am
Good afternoon all,

cstew64
I'm sure an admin will answer your question soon, but I would caution you that I believe the whole of the book must be online, not just the copyright page. This would involve scanning the entire book and submitting it to a site like archive.org. What books are you thinking of? Perhaps we can help find copies for you that are already online and approved.
E agora, José?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 27th, 2019, 10:49 am

If you have a hard copy of a book that you cannot find online, all we need is an image of the title page and copyright page (or printing info page) to confirm it is out of copyright. If you want to do this ahead of time before officially launching the project, you can put the images into a zip file and upload them using the uploader. Put them in the "tests" folder - that will work as well as any. You can post the resulting link into this thread.

We do recommend, however, that before embarking on a solo project, that you record a couple/few sections in group projects, so that you can get a feel for how much work it is to record and edit, and also so you can work out any further wrinkles from your recording setup so that you are satisfied with your audio quality before starting in on a book you really enjoy and want to do your best work on. :)
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Australia & New Zealand history: LINK

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 27th, 2019, 11:00 am

TriciaG wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 10:49 am
If you have a hard copy of a book that you cannot find online, all we need is an image of the title page and copyright page (or printing info page) to confirm it is out of copyright. If you want to do this ahead of time before officially launching the project, you can put the images into a zip file and upload them using the uploader. Put them in the "tests" folder - that will work as well as any. You can post the resulting link into this thread.

We do recommend, however, that before embarking on a solo project, that you record a couple/few sections in group projects, so that you can get a feel for how much work it is to record and edit, and also so you can work out any further wrinkles from your recording setup so that you are satisfied with your audio quality before starting in on a book you really enjoy and want to do your best work on. :)
This is great news. Thanks for the clarification. I have a few books like this too.

Does one do one's own PL then?
E agora, José?

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » August 27th, 2019, 11:38 am

KevinS wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 11:00 am
For standard PL you don't need to follow in the text. I one PLed a book without it being online. It was a cool experience.
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

schrm

Post by schrm » August 27th, 2019, 11:56 am

yes, i pled a book like this, which is now fresh in the catalogue.
it is even more concentrating on the story, listening the audiobook..

/reader/12275

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 27th, 2019, 12:14 pm

lymiewithpurpose wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 11:38 am
KevinS wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 11:00 am
For standard PL you don't need to follow in the text. I one PLed a book without it being online. It was a cool experience.
Thank you. It would be nice just to listen and enjoy, keeping in mind of course that corrections might have to be noted. Thank you!
E agora, José?

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 27th, 2019, 12:14 pm

schrm wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 11:56 am
yes, i pled a book like this, which is now fresh in the catalogue.
it is even more concentrating on the story, listening the audiobook..
Excellent news. Thank you! And thanks for all your PLing!
E agora, José?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » August 27th, 2019, 3:24 pm

This doesn't mean anyone can read anything, it needs to be handled on a book by book basis. So the first thing to do would to be sure there is not an online text or scan available anywhere.
Then check that the edition you have in your hands is out of copyright in the USA .

Then to consider adding the text to online so that it is available to the world.
The "library" of online books has been made by people adding them, many by ordinary people like us. Our readers have scanned or photographed page by page books and uploaded them to Archive. From there they can be accessed by PG volunteers and may finish up as Etexts.

Anne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 27th, 2019, 4:23 pm

annise wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 3:24 pm
This doesn't mean anyone can read anything, it needs to be handled on a book by book basis. So the first thing to do would to be sure there is not an online text or scan available anywhere.
Then to consider adding the text to online so that it is available to the world.
The "library" of online books has been made by people adding them, many by ordinary people like us. Our readers have scanned or photographed page by page books and uploaded them to Archive. From there they can be accessed by PG volunteers and may finish up as Etexts.

Anne
Good points.

I wonder if there are any reasonably priced scanning services available somewhere in the United States. Of course, scanners aren't that expensive, but it's the 'sewing' the pages together that I would not understand. I wonder if archive. org is equipped to do this for someone who sends them individual scans of pages.
E agora, José?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » August 27th, 2019, 4:40 pm

You just send it as a pdf I think, I haven't done it but I know others have. Archive is pretty user-friendly. And used to dealing with non-professionals

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 27th, 2019, 5:06 pm

annise wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 4:40 pm
You just send it as a pdf I think, I haven't done it but I know others have. Archive is pretty user-friendly. And used to dealing with non-professionals
Thank you. I have too much to do at the moment anyway, so that kind of project will probably have to wait until the new year.
E agora, José?

schrm

Post by schrm » August 27th, 2019, 7:32 pm

i just know it for linux, but sewing the pages together is equal to a button press in some software...
a google search with keywords like "jpg to pdf" or "batch processing jpg to pdf" suggests some online converting tools, too.
and at least on android, you can do this with "fotoscans" in a handy-app, even.

/reader/12275

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 27th, 2019, 9:51 pm

schrm wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 7:32 pm
i just know it for linux, but sewing the pages together is equal to a button press in some software...
a google search with keywords like "jpg to pdf" or "batch processing jpg to pdf" suggests some online converting tools, too.
and at least on android, you can do this with "fotoscans" in a handy-app, even.
Thank you! I know how to press a button! (Now... Which button?)
E agora, José?