Stories in Stories

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Post Reply
KevinS
Posts: 3015
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 6th, 2019, 1:15 pm

So my latest idea is for a collection of short stories that are mentioned in other short stories (or novels.) A little gimmicky, I suppose, but, I wondered, What did Heathcliff ever read? How did Madame Bovary spend her free time? (Let's not answer that question in too much detail!) At the very least, I might start a list...
E agora, José?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 42715
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » August 6th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Most of the mentions I've seen in novels are full books rather than short stories, so it wouldn't make a good collection because the entries would be too long.

But this reminds me a little of this project: https://librivox.org/james-joyce-in-context-vol-01-telemachus/

It took Joyce's Ulysses and found all the works he quoted or referred to, and had people record them. As I recall, it was a BEAR of a project. I came in as a fairly new MC to catalog the thing, because the BC/MC disappeared.

For something like this, the BC would have to find all the references and get text sources for them. All that would be worked out in a thread in Book Suggestions before launching the project. For something like what you're suggesting, I'd think the same thing - the references and text links would have to be worked out before making it a project in the Launch Pad.
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Australia & New Zealand history: LINK

KevinS
Posts: 3015
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 6th, 2019, 1:44 pm

TriciaG wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 1:22 pm
Most of the mentions I've seen in novels are full books rather than short stories, so it wouldn't make a good collection because the entries would be too long.

But this reminds me a little of this project: https://librivox.org/james-joyce-in-context-vol-01-telemachus/

It took Joyce's Ulysses and found all the works he quoted or referred to, and had people record them. As I recall, it was a BEAR of a project. I came in as a fairly new MC to catalog the thing, because the BC/MC disappeared.

For something like this, the BC would have to find all the references and get text sources for them. All that would be worked out in a thread in Book Suggestions before launching the project. For something like what you're suggesting, I'd think the same thing - the references and text links would have to be worked out before making it a project in the Launch Pad.
The BC/MC ran away to Paris, just like poor Joyce!
E agora, José?

KevinS
Posts: 3015
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 6th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Would a book in question---the one in which the others are mentioned, and never recorded, mind you--have to be PD?
E agora, José?

KevinS
Posts: 3015
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 6th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Here are seven Gothic novels mentioned in Austin's Northanger Abbey:

Castle of Wolfenbach (1793) by Eliza Parsons

Clermont (1798) by Regina Maria Roche

The Mysterious Warning (1796) by Eliza Parsons

The Necromancer; or, The Tale of the Black Forest (1794) by “Peter Teuthold”

The Midnight Bell (1798) by Francis Lathom

Horrid Mysteries (1796) by Karl Grosse

The Orphan of the Rhine (1798) by Eleanor Sleath


I wonder how many are available to us. Time to look.
E agora, José?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 42715
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » August 6th, 2019, 2:10 pm

See if they're recorded already, too.

I thought that one had mentioned Mysteries of Udolfo, (Udolpho?) too. I know that's recorded already.
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Australia & New Zealand history: LINK

KevinS
Posts: 3015
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 6th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Well, I did not find on archive four of the four for which I looked.
E agora, José?

Elizabby
Posts: 8863
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » August 7th, 2019, 5:25 pm

There was a Jane Austen project a while ago to get all these books done, but finding usable texts for them was the sticking point. From memory we did a couple, then ran out of sources.

We did “Lover’s Vows” though, the play mentioned in Mansfield Park.

KevinS
Posts: 3015
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 7th, 2019, 6:18 pm

TriciaG wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 2:10 pm
See if they're recorded already, too.

I thought that one had mentioned Mysteries of Udolfo, (Udolpho?) too.
You're right!
E agora, José?

KevinS
Posts: 3015
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 7th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Elizabby wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 5:25 pm
There was a Jane Austen project a while ago to get all these books done, but finding usable texts for them was the sticking point. From memory we did a couple, then ran out of sources.

We did “Lover’s Vows” though, the play mentioned in Mansfield Park.
Amazing that books disappear!

I guess we're doing our part to protect them though.
E agora, José?

Post Reply