Thinking ahead

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 4th, 2019, 9:27 am

As I am relatively new, I don't know what the turn of a new year entails.

I hope to record in December a novella that I could present to LibriVox at the beginning of January, the work being out of copyright at that time. Others may be in a similar position with similar plans.

Is it bad to form to discuss one's plans here? (It doesn't seem right to put something on the 'launch pad' before its proper time.)

I'm really not one to record something that's already done or in the works. If someone is already set on recording 'Billy Budd,' the work I'm looking at, then I would likely chose something else to celebrate the new year and the new influx of allowed titles.

If this is out of bounds, just say so, please.
E agora, José?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 4th, 2019, 9:53 am

Just like for 1923 texts this past January, we won't launch or set up any projects - or link to texts - that aren't yet PD. So you can link to a text and launch a project on January 1, but not before.

From the thread pinned to the top of this forum - change the 1923 references to 1924 in your case:
We know everyone wants to jump into 1923, and the excitement is building! But we still need to follow our regular text policies when we burst into the new year. :)

In other news...

We have learned that Distributed Proofreaders (which feeds into Project Gutenberg) aren't working on any 1923 texts yet. Like here, they won't be starting any 1923 projects until January 1.

Concern has been expressed about posting book suggestions for 1923 texts. It is fine to make a list of books entering the PD soon, but let's not link to texts themselves until January 1. (Personally, I have a huge list of 1923 works with links that is sitting patiently on my desktop.) It's better not to take any risks on this.
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Australia & New Zealand history: LINK

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 4th, 2019, 10:08 am

TriciaG wrote:
August 4th, 2019, 9:53 am
Just like for 1923 texts this past January, we won't launch or set up any projects - or link to texts - that aren't yet PD. So you can link to a text and launch a project on January 1, but not before.

From the thread pinned to the top of this forum - change the 1923 references to 1924 in your case:
We know everyone wants to jump into 1923, and the excitement is building! But we still need to follow our regular text policies when we burst into the new year. :)

In other news...

We have learned that Distributed Proofreaders (which feeds into Project Gutenberg) aren't working on any 1923 texts yet. Like here, they won't be starting any 1923 projects until January 1.

Concern has been expressed about posting book suggestions for 1923 texts. It is fine to make a list of books entering the PD soon, but let's not link to texts themselves until January 1. (Personally, I have a huge list of 1923 works with links that is sitting patiently on my desktop.) It's better not to take any risks on this.
Yes, I understand. That's a very sound policy. I was just wondering if we could chat about our plans here, as well as our recommendations. (I should live so long...)

EDIT: And thank you for answering so swiftly on a Sunday morning! For myself, I'm hardly awake yet!
E agora, José?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 4th, 2019, 10:30 am

Well, we're an hour ahead of you, and we've already been to church and back. ;)

Last year we didn't post book suggestions or really discuss works that were coming PD until Jan 1. The first 1923 list I see was posted January 1 at about 9:15 am Eastern Time.
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Australia & New Zealand history: LINK

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » August 4th, 2019, 10:57 am

I think we may have discussed a few we were looking at last year, prior to Jan. 1, but if we do so again, we'll need to be very careful and clear to say that we can't and don't plan to actually start anything yet. We wouldn't want a new member to see a post for something that's not PD yet and think that it's a suggestion they could just pick up and run with.
Devorah Allen

Readers wanted for:
Dramatic Reading of Doctor Dolittle's Post Office

I'm starting a new job on October 7! I'm so excited! :9: The downside is, even less recording time. :( But I am still around!

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 4th, 2019, 11:14 am

Well, my cat is out of the bag! I'll leave it at that!

After all, anyone with common sense would tell me to finish My Little Brazilian Cousin. Or the Ante-Nicene Fathers. Or finish listening to the Lorca. Or...
E agora, José?

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » August 4th, 2019, 11:18 am

Indeed. And you still have five months, anyway.
Devorah Allen

Readers wanted for:
Dramatic Reading of Doctor Dolittle's Post Office

I'm starting a new job on October 7! I'm so excited! :9: The downside is, even less recording time. :( But I am still around!

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 4th, 2019, 11:46 am

mightyfelix wrote:
August 4th, 2019, 11:18 am
Indeed. And you still have five months, anyway.
There was an old radio show, filled with horror and suspense, that always included the line: It ... is ... later ... than ... you ... think.
E agora, José?

miss stav

Post by miss stav » August 9th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Why discuss 1924 books? I want to surprise you. On 01.01 you will discover my plans, and I have very fixed plans on at least one. Personally, I would love to see your surprise, and see if anybody beats me to these books.
Love Children's books? Try On Angel's Wings. Looking for an easy read? Try Herb Of Grace. Want some philosophy? Try The History Of The Devil. Like mysteries? Try Natalie Paige.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 9th, 2019, 3:13 pm

miss stav wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 2:52 pm
Why discuss 1924 books? I want to surprise you. On 01.01 you will discover my plans, and I have very fixed plans on at least one. Personally, I would love to see your surprise, and see if anybody beats me to these books.
Do you want to play twenty questions? Hahahah!
E agora, José?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » August 9th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Going on this year's experience, there is no guarantee that a PD source with be available on January the 1st. And being the first to post at 1 minute past midnight does not reserve the book for you or mean you will have the first version in the catalogue.

Anne

realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers » August 9th, 2019, 6:50 pm

annise wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 5:02 pm
Going on this year's experience, there is no guarantee that a PD source with be available on January the 1st. And being the first to post at 1 minute past midnight does not reserve the book for you or mean you will have the first version in the catalogue.

Anne
Oh. This sounds like a New Year's Resolution Challenge!
"Kind reader,
if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 9th, 2019, 6:59 pm

realisticspeakers wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 6:50 pm
annise wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Anne
Oh. This sounds like a New Year's Resolution Challenge!
You just focus on the Beethoven. (I feel like the old trainer in the first Rocky movie. He was famous and I can't remember his name.)

EDIT: Burgess Meredith?
E agora, José?

realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers » August 9th, 2019, 8:09 pm

You just focus on the Beethoven. (I feel like the old trainer in the first Rocky movie. He was famous and I can't remember his name.)

EDIT: Burgess Meredith?
There's plenty of time for Beethoven.
All the time I need...all the time I want. Time.Time. Time.
Ah! There's time enough at last!
"Kind reader,
if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."