History Of Philosophy (4 Titles) [Philosophy]

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
LectorRecitator

Post by LectorRecitator » July 30th, 2019, 12:26 pm

A History Of Philosophy (1901, 2nd Edition) by Windelband, Wilhelm (1848–1915) translated by Tufts, James Hayden (1862–1942)

📖 Contains Ancient Greek terminology

ℹ️ "What I offer is a serious text-book, which is intended to portray in comprehensive and compressed exposition the evolution of the ideas of European philosophy, with the aim of showing through what motives the principles, by which we to-day scientifically conceive and judge the universe and human life, have been brought to consciousness and developed in the course of the movements of history." (Author's Preface)

https://archive.org/details/windelbandsphilo00winduoft/page/n1/mode/2up

https://archive.org/details/cu31924032290656/page/n7/mode/2up

History Of Philosophy (1903) by Turner, William (1871–1936)

ℹ️ "The purpose of the writer in compiling this text-book has been so to set forth the succession of schools and systems of philosophy as to accord to Scholasticism a presentation in some degree adequate to its importance in the history of speculative thought.

Of the text-books that are at present available for use in the lecture room, some dismiss the Scholastic period with a paragraph ; others, while dealing with it more sympathetically, treat it from the point of view of German transcendentalism. The result is that even works which succeed in doing justice to the schoolmen are practically useless to students who are more familiar with the terminology of Scholasticism than with that of Hegelianism.

Similarly, it is for the purpose of impressing on the student the importance of estimating the value of systems and schools of philosophy that, at the end of each chapter, suggestions for criticism are offered under the title "Historical Position".

The plan of the work precludes much claim to originality. Use has been made of primary sources wherever it was possible to do so."
(Preface)

ADOPTED: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74970

A History of Philosophy (1915) by Webb, Clement Charles Julian (1865–1954)

https://archive.org/details/historyofphilo00webbuoft/page/n5

A Short History Of Philosophy (1922, 3d Edition) by Alexander, A. B. D. (1855–1931)

ℹ️ "INCREASED attention has been devoted in recent years to historical studies. It will not be assumed that the history of action is worthier of consideration than the history of thought. While a number of books dealing with particular periods of philosophy have been written, it is somewhat remarkable that few, if any, English works have appeared treating of its general history. No subject is more frequently lectured upon in German Universities than the history of philosophy, and many of the larger treatises we possess are the products of such courses of lectures some of the most notable of these have been made available through translation. But with the exception of Lewes Biographical History a book which is now half a century old, and one written to discredit all philosophy and a small handbook in the Bohn edition which only came into my hands when my own book was completed I know of no purely British work which treats of the entire course of European speculation. Though I dare not flatter myself that I have succeeded in supplying the want, it seems to me that there is a need for such a volume. The true introduction to philosophy is its history. For students and those who are interested in the progress of thought it is desirable to have a book of orientation in which one may discover the standpoint and significance of a writer individually and in relation to his times. Such is the aim of this " Short history of philosophy." I have called it a short history, because, though it seeks to furnish fuller information than may be derived from a mere outline or handbook, it does not profess to compete with larger works, such as those of Erdmann, Zeller or Kuno Fischer.

I have endeavoured to indicate the salient features rather than to give an exhaustive account of the successive systems of philosophy, and have attempted to show the place and influence of each in the evolution of thought.

I have included in the History an account of some German writers who, though not strictly regarded as philosophers, have exercised a powerful influence upon speculative thought as well as upon general culture. I have also devoted a larger space to English and Scottish thinkers than is usually assigned to them in German histories. Finally, I have sought to add to the value of the book by giving a resume of the progress of thought in our own country and on the Continent in the nineteenth century, and by bringing the history of philosophy down to our own day."
(Preface)

ℹ️ "IN responding to the call for a third edition of this volume I have taken the opportunity of bringing the history up to date by rewriting the last chapter under a new title, " Philosophy in the Victorian Era," presenting a fuller view of Mill and the Utilitarians, of Darwin and the Evolution Theory, of Spencer and the Synthetic Philosophy, and of the New Idealism of which Green, Caird, Bradley were the protagonists. I have also added a new chapter which discusses some recent tendencies of the Twentieth Century, such as Bergson s Creative Evolution, Pragmatism and the Neo-realistic School. In other respects, with the exception of some slight changes in phraseology and a few supple mentary paragraphs in different parts of the book in order to bring it into line with recent authorities, the work remains, in form and contents, substantially the same.

If, in the past, the volume has proved in any measure helpful to students of philosophy and others interested in the historical development of thought, I may venture to hope that, in spite of its shortcomings, this " Short History " in its amended form may help to fill the gap which has previously existed in this country between the " Mere outline " and the more elaborate and exhaustive treatises of Continental origin."
(Preface To The Third Edition)

ℹ️ "The only reason suggested by the author for the existence of this rather bulky volume, and the only one perhaps, which it would be easy to find, is the scarcity histories of philosophy written by British authors. This is by a Briton, and, more specifically, by a Scotchman, if we are to judge by a certain preference given to the work of that people. Why else should we read, "Modern philosophy may be said to begin in Germany: thence it spread to Scotland and England" (p. 6) ? And on the preceding page England is not mentioned at all in the spread of philosophy through the universities, but Scotland, again, comes next to Germany. In the discussion of systems, however, England properly, though incosistently, takes its at the head of the list.

As to the sources from which the work has been compiled, the author states rather significantly and very ingeniously, "I have made use of most of the larger German and French histories, and have consulted many of the writers who treat of special periods. While acknowledging my obligations to Hegel, Erdmann, Windelband, Kuno Fischer, Falckenberg, Zeller, Ferrier, Seth, Adamson, Caird, Green, and others, I may say that in dealing with the more important writers and with many of the lesser* I have studied their own works" (p. vi). Yet in spite of this actual study of the very works themselves one feels that the secondary sources have been the main inspiration of the book.

Even in the bibliography, which takes the place of all specific references in the text, one feels this same second-hand treatment. The divisions are quite unsystematic, the sixth, "Particular Subjects", including various modern works on the philosophical sciences without reference to their historical value. There is no distinction made between the character and value of the works included, Pater being classed with Zeller, Diogenes Laertius, and Collins. The lists are extremely fragmentary and not wholly judicious; for instance, such works as Russell's " Leibniz," Joachim's " Spinoza," and Paulsen's " Kant," find no place in them, though they contain works both slighter and more technical on the same subjects. Nor are the titles without confusion: Kuno Fischer appears twice, once under the head of general works as the author of a seven-volume work, "Geschichte der Philosophic", and again under modern philosophy with his "Geschichte der neueren Philosophie". Under Berkeley the only reference given is the confusing, Fraser, "Selections " and Berkeley ("Philosophical Classics"). Under Spencer we find two works on Schopenhauer. No references to any individual ancient philosophers are given, which perhaps explains some difficulties in the interpretation of these men. When we pass from these unpromising beginnings to the body of the work we find improvement in some respects, but not in others. The book is intended to be more than an outline and less than a comprehensive treatise; indeed, the author explicitly declines to compete with Zeller and Kuno Fischer. The difficulties already mentioned make it impossible as a text-book; it must then be judged as a free interpretation, as an attempt "to indicate the salient features rather than to give an exhaustive account of the successive systems of philosophy" and "to show the place and influence of each in the evolution of thought". Special emphasis has been placed on some of the literary representatives of philosophy and upon several of the minor movements not technically philosophical in character. The author also thinks he has brought the history quite down to our own day, but it is perhaps involved in his British point of view that, while mentioning such men as Flint, Fairbairn, MacCunn, Benjamin Kidd and Latta, he has no place for even a James or a Royce among Americans.

Both in quantity and in quality Greek philosophy fares badly, only seventy pages being assigned to the development through Aristotle, but the treatment is not such as to rouse a desire for a longer account.

In modern philosophy the author is more at home and furnishes us a very readable account of its development, though presenting no fresh point of view. On the whole, however, it can hardly be said that the book offers anything which can not be had as well, if not better, in already existing works, though written by Germans or even by Americans."
(Norman Wilde, The Journal Of Philosophy, 10/09/1908)

https://archive.org/details/ashorthistoryofp00alexuoft/page/n5

SEE ALSO

History Of Ancient Greek Philosophy

Studies On The Life And Work Of Friedrich Nietzsche