Pirates!

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: July 18th, 2019, 2:18 pm How to find if we would accept it
Is it on PG ? and does the Bibrec tag say it is PD. Yes
Is it on Haithi and do they say it is PD , probably

Is it a scan? Does it have a date printed in the scan ? Yes

Anne
Excellent. Yes, it's a scan with a clear copyright. Thank you.

I was worried everyone had to have access to the site and don't know much about Google books.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: July 18th, 2019, 2:18 pm How to find if we would accept it
Is it on PG ? and does the Bibrec tag say it is PD. Yes
Is it on Haithi and do they say it is PD , probably

Is it a scan? Does it have a date printed in the scan ? Yes

Anne
Just as a comment - at least one of your list is about pirates in a way, but it's about a trip from China to the USA on a sailing ship and how they escaped the China Sea "pirates" who put out from shore and attacked the boat. It appears to be the villager's way of earning a living rather than High Sea adventures, so it may not be what people expect.
Yes, it's a diverse listing.

One day I'll do one with cutthroats and scoundrels.
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

KevinS wrote: July 18th, 2019, 11:29 am
maxgal wrote: July 18th, 2019, 11:25 am
KevinS wrote: July 18th, 2019, 11:18 am

I would classify them more as action/adventure. There are battle scenes and blood and gore, but not the kind of building terror one finds in a horror story.
Ah -- swashbuckling boy stuff. :D
I'm afraid so. I'm a boy.
:lol:
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I couldn't see it, but then I don't have a google play account and google also hides books from non-Americans often. Google puts many of its scans on Internet Archive , so if you were thinking some time about needing others to read it you should try Archive. In case you don't realise I'm trying the concept as stated by someone else, Give a man a fish and he eats and is hungry the next day, give a man a fishing line and he can keep on catching fish for life,

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: July 18th, 2019, 9:34 pm In case you don't realise I'm trying the concept as stated by someone else, Give a man a fish and he eats and is hungry the next day, give a man a fishing line and he can keep on catching fish for life,

Anne
I'm afraid I don't understand.

I asked about Google books being allowed and you answered about how PD is determined.

Apparently Google books are, even though not everyone can see the resource. That's good to know.

I appreciate, as always, your assistance.
OliverBoliver

Post by OliverBoliver »

Kevin, I'm interested in helping out, but I can't start one just yet. I'll pre-read a few of them and hopefully kick off a project in late November. I really like the concept of working a list of books, so thanks for pulling this list together. I'm reading The King of Pirates, first, but I'd be happy to work any of them. Thanks. Eric (OliverBoliver)
Eric in Charlotte, NC
My screen name is from one of the stories read to my children quite often, "Too Many Daves" by Dr. Seuss. My kids are grown, so now I read to everyone and no one.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

OliverBoliver wrote: October 29th, 2019, 7:04 pm Kevin, I'm interested in helping out, but I can't start one just yet. I'll pre-read a few of them and hopefully kick off a project in late November. I really like the concept of working a list of books, so thanks for pulling this list together. I'm reading The King of Pirates, first, but I'd be happy to work any of them. Thanks. Eric (OliverBoliver)
Good to hear!

ej400 and I keep talking about doing a pirate DR but we haven't found the right 'script' yet.

I'll keep my eye out for you, or just PM me. I often need a 'hey, you!'
OliverBoliver

Post by OliverBoliver »

KevinS wrote: October 29th, 2019, 8:42 pm Good to hear!

ej400 and I keep talking about doing a pirate DR but we haven't found the right 'script' yet.

I may regret it as it is a long book, but I'm going to start "The Pirate Island: A Story of the South Pacific" by Harry Collingwood. I need to finish reading it before I begin recording, but I wanted to let you know that I will be "setting sail" soon!
Eric in Charlotte, NC
My screen name is from one of the stories read to my children quite often, "Too Many Daves" by Dr. Seuss. My kids are grown, so now I read to everyone and no one.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

OliverBoliver wrote: November 6th, 2019, 9:02 pm

I may regret it as it is a long book, but I'm going to start "The Pirate Island: A Story of the South Pacific" by Harry Collingwood. I need to finish reading it before I begin recording, but I wanted to let you know that I will be "setting sail" soon!
I'll keep an eye out!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

KevinS wrote: November 6th, 2019, 9:07 pm
OliverBoliver wrote: November 6th, 2019, 9:02 pm

I'll keep an eye out!
Eh maties, sounds like we've found treasure here! X marks the spot, that's right!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hey, Kevin - great list!

Do you mind noting which ones get started on the original post?

OliverBoliver has Pirate Island going now. I don't think any others are going yet?

I'll start Hearts of Three as soon as I get three more chapters recorded on my current solo, or the Graveyard project gets the nix - whichever comes first. So will you put me down for that one? ;D
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

LCaulkins wrote: November 11th, 2019, 6:55 am Hey, Kevin - great list!

Do you mind noting which ones get started on the original post?

OliverBoliver has Pirate Island going now. I don't think any others are going yet?

I'll start Hearts of Three as soon as I get three more chapters recorded on my current solo, or the Graveyard project gets the nix - whichever comes first. So will you put me down for that one? ;D
Yes, of course!

Hearts of Three will be fun!
OliverBoliver

Post by OliverBoliver »

The Pirate Island is complete!
Eric in Charlotte, NC
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

OliverBoliver wrote: April 5th, 2020, 5:03 am The Pirate Island is complete!
Thank you! List updated!
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Hi, Kevin..what a great list of Pirate stories! Thanks.

I'll take a crack at Hearts of Three by Jack London as a solo. I've started the process in the Launch Pad.

Steven Seitel
...and then I thought: "Oh, what the Heck? Why not?..." —W.O.B.