[NOT PD YET]The King of Elfland's Daughter

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
msfry

Post by msfry » August 5th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Ok, thanks. I would enjoy recording it without having to scan it! That is a lot of work! I presume the texts are exactly the same.
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"If we admit a First Cause, the mind still craves to know whence it came and how it arose." ~Albert Einstein

gweeks

Post by gweeks » August 5th, 2019, 5:30 pm

msfry wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 3:44 pm
Ok, thanks. I would enjoy recording it without having to scan it! That is a lot of work! I presume the texts are exactly the same.
Yes. It's a bit of a pain to verify that for PG, but still a lot easier than scanning and proofing a new edition.

Greg

msfry

Post by msfry » August 11th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Not sure where to pose this question, but I'll post here and in Pronunciation.

I am wondering how to pronounce the main character's name, Alveric.

It's not a common name that comes up in an online pronunciation guide. Irish or British, I can't tell. All that really matters is if the accent falls on the first syllable, or the second.
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"If we admit a First Cause, the mind still craves to know whence it came and how it arose." ~Albert Einstein

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 11th, 2019, 1:27 pm

msfry wrote:
August 11th, 2019, 12:07 pm
Not sure where to pose this question, but I'll post here and in Pronunciation.

I am wondering how to pronounce the main character's name, Alveric.

It's not a common name that comes up in an online pronunciation guide. Irish or British, I can't tell. All that really matters is if the accent falls on the first syllable, or the second.
That's a hard one to answer. Does the character seem to come from a particular literary tradition? I'm only guess, mind, but a German tradition might place the accent on the first syllable while the French would be the second. (If only his name were Alvericus!)
7 Dec: I have lost my voice. (Can you believe it?!) I'll still be PLing, however, so lay it on.