Phil the Fiddler by Horatio Alger

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

I wish someone would record “Phil the Fiddler” by Horatio Alger Jnr. The story is based on fact and deals with the terrible practice of Italian peasants selling their small boys to NYC padrones who would transport them to the USA and use them as slave labour. It is said that the publicity generated by this book led to the scandal being exposed and stopped.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

RichardS wrote: June 15th, 2019, 10:46 pm I wish someone would record “Phil the Fiddler” by Horatio Alger Jnr. The story is based on fact and deals with the terrible practice of Italian peasants selling their small boys to NYC padrones who would transport them to the USA and use them as slave labour. It is said that the publicity generated by this book led to the scandal being exposed and stopped.
That's a fine recommendation. I'd love to make a dramatic reading of it, but am already booked up with many other projects. One day...
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: June 16th, 2019, 6:01 am Paul the fiddler https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/671
Ah, you're tempting me.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If your temptation involves a group reading it's usually better to wait until the just opened one is at least fully subscribed.

Anne
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

KevinS wrote: June 16th, 2019, 5:05 am
RichardS wrote: June 15th, 2019, 10:46 pm I wish someone would record “Phil the Fiddler” by Horatio Alger Jnr. The story is based on fact and deals with the terrible practice of Italian peasants selling their small boys to NYC padrones who would transport them to the USA and use them as slave labour. It is said that the publicity generated by this book led to the scandal being exposed and stopped.
That's a fine recommendation. I'd love to make a dramatic reading of it, but am already booked up with many other projects. One day...
I’d be willing to prepare that book as a DR and, as I am the BC of the group project for Ben, the Luggage Boy, I can launch Phil once Ben is fully claimed.
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

elsieselwyn wrote: June 16th, 2019, 4:20 pm
KevinS wrote: June 16th, 2019, 5:05 am
I’d be willing to prepare that book as a DR and, as I am the BC of the group project for Ben, the Luggage Boy, I can launch Phil once Ben is fully claimed.
You're the coolest!
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

That's brilliant. Many thanks!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You'll have some time to wait - but looks like it will be finished sometime. :D

Anne